Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
Washington DC 215 40.87%
Los Angeles 248 47.15%
Neither 30 5.70%
Too close to call 30 5.70%
Other 3 0.57%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 05:07 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
lmfao this is so retarded. you act as if this country lives and breathes california. its relevance is dwindling in the wind and your near bankrupt state decides to spend half a billion dollars to build a single public school. with that said, i doubt there's a state in this country as retarded as california. not even mississippi. so enjoy your weather, enjoy your mountains, enjoy your bankruptcy, enjoy your 46th place education system, enjoy your high taxes, enjoy the decentralizing entertainment industry, enjoy your soon to be 2nd place to texas, and learn to live with it.
Enjoy the wonderful spirit of the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Enjoy the wonderful spirit of the season.
your whole state needed that reality check no matter what time of year it is.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:04 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
your whole state needed that reality check no matter what time of year it is.
It's got its ups and downs. Why act like it's a completely failed state when it's really just a bit underachieving.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I have been to the East Coast; in-fact this past September I was in NYC for the first time. But I have not visited Washington DC or anywhere else in the Northeast. I want to see the national capitol btw. But a person doesn't have to have personally visited a place to have an opinion. We all read and the Internet provides more information that most people can possibly digest. Just because you may not like what I have written doesn't mean it is not correct. I provided weather data and pointed out that Washington DC is in a relatively flat section of the Eastern Seaboard. Everyone knows that DC was build around low-lying river bottoms\ swamps near the Chesapeake bay. The closest mountains are the Appalachians and that is a very old range of mountains[much lower than the mountain ranges in the West and naturally not very scenic as a result]. A mountain range [Santa Monica] cuts right thru the middle of Los Angeles and the surrounding San Gabriel mountains tower over 8000 in elevation. There is nothing like that anywhere in the Northeast.

So what am I "spouting off" that isn't true? Care to elaborate or is it just so much easier to refute what others write when you have no information to contribute?
The bold pretty much explains everything.
And the elevation of mountains has no correlation with beauty. Lay off the smog. All the outposts I lived in while fighting in Afghanistan had considerably higher elevation than most of California has. This does not mean I, nor anyone I know is enthusiastic when they do a tour of duty in that god-forsaken land.

In fact, most of the mountains around Los Angeles are barren, brown and ugly. Never mind the fact that they trap so much smog, that simply existing in Los Angeles is like smoking a pack of marlbro reds a day. The Appalachians are much more habitable, green, and filled with beauty. You have to travel a few hours outside of Los Angeles (with everybody else) before you see some worth-while mountains, IMO. Oh, and of course on the east coast, if you stray off a trail in the mountains, you won't have Mexican Cartels growing pot trying to kill you.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I have been to the East Coast; in-fact this past September I was in NYC for the first time. But I have not visited Washington DC or anywhere else in the Northeast.
I don't think you've ever left the west coast before. But keep on playing your little game, where you act like you know what other places are like by the internet. Get real son, you're making yourself look like a clown, nothing you said is the least bit true.
For someone who admits never going to DC, your sure to be the one to say LA is a more interesting city. NYC is just skyscrapers too now? You probably think everyone in the country envies California, its clear to me by when you say "we feed the entire country". Right, all the food people eat does not come from California, I know a lot does but get real son and get off your illusion of California as a perfect place.

Last edited by Infamous Past; 12-23-2010 at 08:03 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
The bold pretty much explains everything.
And the elevation of mountains has no correlation with beauty. Lay off the smog. All the outposts I lived in while fighting in Afghanistan had considerably higher elevation than most of California has. This does not mean I, nor anyone I know is enthusiastic when they do a tour of duty in that god-forsaken land.

In fact, most of the mountains around Los Angeles are barren, brown and ugly. Never mind the fact that they trap so much smog, that simply existing in Los Angeles is like smoking a pack of marlbro reds a day. The Appalachians are much more habitable, green, and filled with beauty. You have to travel a few hours outside of Los Angeles (with everybody else) before you see some worth-while mountains, IMO. Oh, and of course on the east coast, if you stray off a trail in the mountains, you won't have Mexican Cartels growing pot trying to kill you.
When someone posts such nonsense than it pretty much reveals more about who they are not than anything of substance. Pure envy and totally untrue. Obviously you not only have never been to California or even seen a photo but your jeolousy makes it clear how limited your experience is outside the East Coast.

Maybe an education would help improve your embarrassing lack of knowledge. Here are photos of the Santa Monica mountains within the city limits of Los Angeles are within 10 miles of the city limit. Take a close look and then tells us how "brown and ugly" these mountains are!

Look carefully at those buildings in the background. It most certainly is not Washington DC

Boy, aren't the San Gabriel's ugly!

Maybe this photo will jog your limited memory and make you look even more silly

Maybe you can produce a photo of an observatory\ planetarium similar to Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles but don't over exert yourself

How about California native palm trees in desert mountains within 2 hours drive of Los Angeles just for a little variety. Please produce examples of the diverse landscapes around Washington DC if you have the nerve that is

Yeah, it is just so ugly in Los Angeles it is amazing how all the millions who live here put up with such a boring and lifeless land!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:45 PM

330 posts, read 877,857 times
Take it easy on Big Sur, I mean california sur, he or she has had rough time with with all the flooding and mud slides in SoCal - the non-stop rain that has occurred for over a week non-stop in a 365 day a year great weather place. Unfortunately a few more storms to come so take it light on big sur!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
lmfao this is so retarded. you act as if this country lives and breathes california. its relevance is dwindling in the wind and your near bankrupt state decides to spend half a billion dollars to build a single public school. with that said, i doubt there's a state in this country as retarded as california. not even mississippi. so enjoy your weather, enjoy your mountains, enjoy your bankruptcy, enjoy your 46th place education system, enjoy your high taxes, enjoy the decentralizing entertainment industry, enjoy your soon to be 2nd place to texas, and learn to live with it.
See the difference between people who can actually post factual and intelligent contributions versus those who rely solely on hate-fill rants is the difference in a confident versus a dismally insecure person. I don't have to put Washington DC down with childish inaccuracies and mindless slams. Want to try and join the conversation with something more than unconcealed envy?

Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
At the end of the day what good is a view if you can not even see the city?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL4Mor4J1wJb1gciaphr1fyDxlRBvBk X4CQ0VYhd8L0IR_gkG0 (broken link)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQG32mFSyuMcEr5uojzgf33lPyRSv5JB m3tlF7mCKf4GywP-OLs (broken link)

Sorry, but no one is fooled by pictures of LA during the 3 months it gets rain. LA looks more like this for most of the year, brown as can be.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTua8zD_KBIW2zvE_1BjLp4eivZG5r9P X0M1RGAfNIppIzrsp7nGzEzojaj (broken link)
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0ACUjeJPyUaDv9KE3zlcpq7wDL6H9d kYmt0SkeHn6QdpSCMUN (broken link)
In fact, LA often gets too dry:

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-29-2010 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 12-23-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Take it easy on Big Sur, I mean california sur, he or she has had rough time with with all the flooding and mud slides in SoCal - the non-stop rain that has occurred for over a week non-stop in a 365 day a year great weather place. Unfortunately a few more storms to come so take it light on big sur!
Ah, yes Big Sur; though over 200 miles north of Los Angeles, it is another California gem people in California enjoy. BTW, is there anything quite like the California coastline anywhere along the East Coast? HELL NO!

San Simeon\ south of Big Sur

The only problem with making actual comparisons between every state versus California is that it is like taking candy from a baby; California wins hands down\ slam dunk and only seems to infuriate those who have major hate toward the Golden State!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City