Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
Washington DC 215 40.87%
Los Angeles 248 47.15%
Neither 30 5.70%
Too close to call 30 5.70%
Other 3 0.57%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 08:29 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
When someone posts such nonsense than it pretty much reveals more about who they are not than anything of substance. Pure envy and totally untrue. Obviously you not only have never been to California or even seen a photo but your jeolousy makes it clear how limited your experience is outside the East Coast.
speak for yourself.

Quote:
Maybe an education would help improve your embarrassing lack of knowledge. Here are photos of the Santa Monica mountains within the city limits of Los Angeles are within 10 miles of the city limit. Take a close look and then tells us how "brown and ugly" these mountains are!
we all know the pictures you post of green hills come directly after that rare rainfall you say la hardly ever gets.

Quote:
Look carefully at those buildings in the background. It most certainly is not Washington DC
who cares? is that supposed to be good or bad?

Quote:
How about California native palm trees in desert mountains within 2 hours drive of Los Angeles just for a little variety. Please produce examples of the diverse landscapes around Washington DC if you have the nerve that is
within 2 hours we have some fine natural beauty including wild horses.

http://maryannmelton.blogspot.com/20...-and-cafe.html

Picture of Shenandoah National Park, Luray

Luray Caverns | Marc Benton dot Com (http://www.marcbenton.com/2009/08/luray-caverns/ - broken link)
http://www.marcbenton.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/opt-luray-9-wm.jpg (broken link)

Great Falls Potomac River Maryland in Nature, high quality, picture nr. 19867

Virginia's Skyline Drive: One of the Loveliest Roads in America | Eastern Region | Reader's Digest

and finally
http://www.connermusic.org/band/

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 12-24-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I've always thought DC had excellent nightlife. Mostly what we have are beer hall type places, Irish pubs, etc., like an outgrowth of college. But we have a ton of them, because we have so many educated 25-35 year olds who fill places like those up after work. I go out a lot, but hate the velvet rope type places you get in Manhattan or in Hollywood. DC has a couple of those, but at night, this is mostly a jeans and sweater town that prefers subtlety. I moved here from Boston, and one of the first things I noticed was how few people in Washington went out with flashy jewelry or in expensive clothes like they did in Boston and NY.

People in DC bars are also pretty friendly and easy going, even though we're all very career-focused. In Boston, used to see fights all the time when I went out, in LA, I've gotten looks for ordering a beer, and not some girlish martini.
lol i believe it.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:11 AM

more dc area shots

Mikku and the Trees Retold by Margaret MacDonald (http://www.spiritoftrees.org/folktales/macdonald/mikku_trees.html - broken link)
http://www.spiritoftrees.org/folktales/macdonald/shenandoah_national_park.jpg (broken link)

Nature - Lower Doyles River Falls, Shenandoah National Park, Virginia - Free BlackBerry Wallpaper @ My-BlackBerry.net

Tom Trigo - American Location Manager & Scout

Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 AM

the four seasons

The Summer Wind Comes Blowing In… | The Chesepiooc Bay Blog

http://www.westlight.net/autumn_photographs/grist_mill_photograph_97.html (broken link)
http://www.westlight.net/galleries/autumn/grist_mill_129_97.jpg (broken link)

World War One Memorial on the National Mall in the snow | Have Camera Will Travel=
http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00009LkncYa8KCs/s/880/880/h034145655-world-war-one-memorial-on-the-national-mall-in-the-snow-world-war-i-memorial-washington.jpg (broken link)

The National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington DC : Chuva Chienes Inc.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
speak for yourself.

we all know the pictures you post of green hills come directly after that rare rainfall you say la hardly ever gets.

who cares? is that supposed to be good or bad?

within 2 hours we have some fine natural beauty including wild horses.

http://maryannmelton.blogspot.com/20...-and-cafe.html

Picture of Shenandoah National Park, Luray

Luray Caverns | Marc Benton dot Com (http://www.marcbenton.com/2009/08/luray-caverns/ - broken link)

Great Falls Potomac River Maryland in Nature, high quality, picture nr. 19867

Virginia's Skyline Drive: One of the Loveliest Roads in America | Eastern Region | Reader's Digest

and finally
Conner Middle School BAND -
Great post! And thanks for posting substance\ photos. I never knew that caverns were nearby. Your comment about rainfall is correct. Right now the hills are deep in native grasses lush in growth. I wish they looked that way all year but by April the foothill grass turns brown. But the trees stay green all year since they are oaks, chaparral, eucalyptus, palms. Winter in LA looks like spring or summer in other parts of the nation since the rains finally arrive. This past week we had over 10 inches of rainfall but aside from certain areas most parts of California escaped mudslides.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:19 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
When ppl think of DC all they think of is whats portrayed as the nation's capitol....the local city itself is very much unrelated to national politics...ppl think in some fashion or another everybody is tied to congress or capitol hill...and involved in the country's decision making process.....BS.....unless somebody told you it was the political capitol you couldnt tell based on the nightlife
How government oriented is DC's employment, is it noticeable?

Old 12-24-2010, 06:31 PM

94 posts, read 295,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
The OP included education as criteria 3 times but didnt include nightlife, LMAO.
or safety, why wouldn't you include safety? one of the most important things imo.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:36 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,994 times
Why do the internet warriors always have to hijack these threads with they're wikipedia, google images and national weather service facts?

I can look at pictures and read statistics about Alaska until I'm blue in the face but I couldn't tell you jack about the state since I've never been there.

So unless you've been to both cities, don't slam one or the other. I've been to both L.A. and I'm from DC/Md and I voted for DC. My opinion was based on what I've encountered in both cities, not last years Census or some other BS.

**Whats with people and Palm Trees? They're ugly.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:30 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Why do the internet warriors always have to hijack these threads with they're wikipedia, google images and national weather service facts?

I can look at pictures and read statistics about Alaska until I'm blue in the face but I couldn't tell you jack about the state since I've never been there.

So unless you've been to both cities, don't slam one or the other. I've been to both L.A. and I'm from DC/Md and I voted for DC. My opinion was based on what I've encountered in both cities, not last years Census or some other BS.

**Whats with people and Palm Trees? They're ugly.
Right, nothing factual or real just mindless opinions that don't require substantiation to interfere with the truth!

Merry Xmas from California!

Old 12-24-2010, 08:57 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Right, nothing factual or real just mindless opinions that don't require substantiation to interfere with the truth!

Merry Xmas from California!
Why isn't that a pretty picture, is that the average view in LA? Will I see that view more often then not? Do pictures of LA's scenery make it better then DC? Or is it that LA's average March temp is 58.0? Or is DC better because they only had 130 homicides this year vs. LA's 265? Maybe we should go off of how many registered Democrats and Republicans each city has or how much money is spent on road maintenance.

Who cares? Comparing facts and statistics is pretty boring and doesn't paint a very good picture of a city. The only reason you disagree is because you probably haven't been to more then a handful of states so quoting statistics off the internet is the only way you can speak intelligently about other places. Anybody that is well traveled knows there is more to a city then what is on the internet. St. Louis had the highest murder (or crime? can't remember) rate in the country once again but I'm in the city all the time and haven't had one issue nor have I seen any major crimes being committed. I bet there are people, though, who think all we do is kill each here in the Gateway to the West.

I'm sure you voted for LA but how can you say LA is better if you've never been to DC? It's like saying a hamburger is better then a hotdog even though you've never tried a hotdog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City