Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
Washington DC 215 40.87%
Los Angeles 248 47.15%
Neither 30 5.70%
Too close to call 30 5.70%
Other 3 0.57%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:18 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Its not a matter of changing his mind, but of facing reality.

What's bass-ackwards is pretending a mountain range running down the middle of a city and ultimately into the ocean doesn't provide residents of that city a qualitatively different city experience. What’s sad is actually claiming greater density in a place lacking that natural asset and the open space it provides is a good thing.
Right? I'm gonna go to Runyon Canyon in about an hour, get a breathtaking view of the entire city (minus the valley) and be home in twenty minutes. There are few places in the world that offer that kind of experience. I'll take it, even if it somehow means where I live is not urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Right? I'm gonna go to Runyon Canyon in about an hour, get a breathtaking view of the entire city (minus the valley) and be home in twenty minutes. There are few places in the world that offer that kind of experience. I'll take it, even if it somehow means where I live is not urban.
We really are blessed to have those mountains. Watching the sun set over the LA basin from the top of one of those hills (I prefer hilltop just north of the Griffith Observatory) never gets old.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Have fun! I just got back from Studio City to WeHo through Cahuenga/Mullholland/Laurel Canyon and the views are amazing as always. Nice clear day today, perfect for a run up Runyon.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:31 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Yep, agreed. You are correct. This is what I have been trying to explain all along. Large does not equal urban. LA is large, not urban. DC is small by population yet still urban.
Do you undertand the concept of urban? LA is urban..deal with it!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
This one on one comparison between Washington DC & Los Angeles doesn't exist yet. (I don't understand why not)

Criteria:
- Education Overall secondary, the D.C. area. Post-secondary, definitely L.A.
- Economy (Health) D.C.
- Diversity (culture/people) L.A.
- Diversity (languages) L.A.
- Scenery L.A.
- Skyline (can be monumental too) L.A.
- Shopping L.A.
- Food L.A.
- Ethnic enclaves L.A.
- Public transportation D.C. for now, but L.A. is coming along w/ 30/10
- Parks As far as core city, D.C. Throughout metro area, L.A.
- Downtown D.C.'s is more vibrant, but L.A.'s is cooler looking and even has more grit and old brick than D.C.'s Mall area.
- Education (more educated city) D.C.
- Education (K-12 & Colleges) Look at answer to very first question
- Airport (User friendly?) Probably DC's Dulles. Washington Reagan's great, too, with its immediate location on Metro. LAX will hopefully improve w/ its renovations. I hear Long Beach, Burbank, Orange Co. and Ontario Airports near L.A. are nice, but I've never flown into them.
- Roads Pavement quality, easily D.C. Comprehensive network of highways, L.A.
- Professional sports (and their venues) L.A.
- Anything else you can think of Better weather, L.A.

Which would you rather live in?
I'd rather live in L.A. Answers above in bold.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM

221 posts, read 484,549 times
Look, why does LA have to be urban and dense to be a great city? Before I continue on, I will say that LA is dense and urban in many areas, and there are parts of downtown LA that do look like a midwestern downtown. I don't think people move to LA for the density or the urbanity anyway. They move to LA for the warm/dry weather, the natural setting (mountains, hills, ocean), palm trees, entertainment industry, glamour, Spanish style architecture, extreme diversity and culture, more laid-back vibe, so forth. Frankly, LA DOES NOT have to be dense or urban--it's fine the way it is (generally speaking, though, there is room for improvement ofcourse). LA is a west coast city, specifically, located in Southern California. Why does it have to be like New York or Philly or DC all of a sudden? LA is a West Coast city, accept it for what it is and appreciate it for what it is.

I guess you guys have to be real with yourself. Do you want to live in New York or do you want to live in LA, for example. If you really/truely want to live in New York and want the New York lifestyle, then you are going to be disappointed in LA no matter what. LA is not New York. Using the thread topic, if you prefer the Washington, D.C. lifestyle, live in Washington, D.C. You won't be able to live a D.C. life style in LA since LA is not D.C. Quit especting cities to be the same. Accept and appreciate each city as unique municipalities that are truely special in their own way.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
i like both @ i think DC can take LA in diversity easily

transient or not, you have every walk of life in that city

what make's DC amazing is having representation of every country that was named a country in a concentrated space
just go there and see for yourself

Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i like both @ i think DC can take LA in diversity easily

transient or not, you have every walk of life in that city

what make's DC amazing is having representation of every country that was named a country in a concentrated space
just go there and see for yourself
That's a bold statement.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That's a bold statement.
actually, i meant match

Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That's a bold statement.
I agree with him. DC>LA for diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City