Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
Washington DC 215 40.87%
Los Angeles 248 47.15%
Neither 30 5.70%
Too close to call 30 5.70%
Other 3 0.57%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times

Advertisements

The core concept of urban density is “walkability,” which seeks to promote maximum accessibility in cities and communities. Designed efficiently walkable environs connect people with transportation centers, arts and entertainment venues, coffeehouses, libraries and other local and regional amenities in a manner that promotes cost-effective living. There is also evidence to suggest a correlation between more walkable neighborhoods and property values, thereby boosting homeowner return on investment. This is why Los Angeles is a smog filled never ending suburb in the valley. It has the worst air pollution in the country, meanwhile DC has some of the strongest green initiatives. Los Angeles for it's size has the worst transportation, meanwhile DC's is modern and efficient right behind NYC. It is the capital after all. A much more progressive place than Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 05:37 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The core concept of urban density is “walkability,” which seeks to promote maximum accessibility in cities and communities. Designed efficiently walkable environs connect people with transportation centers, arts and entertainment venues, coffeehouses, libraries and other local and regional amenities in a manner that promotes cost-effective living. There is also evidence to suggest a correlation between more walkable neighborhoods and property values, thereby boosting homeowner return on investment. This is why Los Angeles is a smog filled never ending suburb in the valley.
Mmm, no. Sorry, I don't think that LA is the most walkable place in the country by any stretch, but this attitude (that LA is a "smog filled never ending suburb") is totally, abjectly wrong.

I can, within a few blocks, easily walk to the store, the pharmacy, restaurants, and shopping (I live about two blocks from Rodeo Drive in the BH Triangle).

When I lived in Koreatown, I had even more amenities near me and lived about three blocks to a Metro station that I could use to take to Hollywood or DTLA.

When I lived in Venice, my commute was to walk three blocks to the sand, then walk up the sand a mile to Santa Monica. If I wanted, I could walk down Main and Abbott Kinney, and pass by dozens of awesome shops and restaurants.

I've never lived in Westwood/UCLA, Pasadena, the SFV or SGV, or East LA, but I've either had friends or exes who lived in these areas and found large walkable swaths through all of them.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:44 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,578,127 times
So here we are all 250 people on City-Data.com deciding which of the two above mention cities are more urban Los Angeles or Washington D.C. HaHaHa isn't this fun , hey listen you LA and DC homers we are not going to win over those that don't think and feel actually this we do ' so give it a rest ".....LOL

Old 10-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Mmm, no. Sorry, I don't think that LA is the most walkable place in the country by any stretch, but this attitude (that LA is a "smog filled never ending suburb") is totally, abjectly wrong.

I can, within a few blocks, easily walk to the store, the pharmacy, restaurants, and shopping (I live about two blocks from Rodeo Drive in the BH Triangle).

When I lived in Koreatown, I had even more amenities near me and lived about three blocks to a Metro station that I could use to take to Hollywood or DTLA.

When I lived in Venice, my commute was to walk three blocks to the sand, then walk up the sand a mile to Santa Monica. If I wanted, I could walk down Main and Abbott Kinney, and pass by dozens of awesome shops and restaurants.

I've never lived in Westwood/UCLA, Pasadena, the SFV or SGV, or East LA, but I've either had friends or exes who lived in these areas and found large walkable swaths through all of them.
The suburb comment is an opinion. However, I can prove LA ranks extremely high for poor air quality and it's a fact.

Los Angeles air quality still among the worst - LA Daily News

Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
The suburb comment is an opinion. However, I can prove LA ranks extremely high for poor air quality and it's a fact.

Los Angeles air quality still among the worst - LA Daily News
And DC's crime rate is significantly worse than LA's. Every big city has issues.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
And DC's crime rate is significantly worse than LA's. Every big city has issues.
Crime can be avoided by choosing the correct neighborhood within the city limits or a nice suburb, it's impossible to dodge smog..... you inhale it.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I go running through BH for about 3-4 miles every day and haven't keeled over due to the smog yet.

I will say that yes, I do miss living in areas where the air has a natural sweetness to it, like I used to get in Boston or the Bay Area... but... such is life. Complaining while living in BH is probably one of the most arrogant things I can think of doing after my upbringing and all I've been through.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Crime can be avoided by choosing the correct neighborhood within the city limits or a nice suburb, it's impossible to dodge smog..... you inhale it.
Yeah, the college kid working part time at Fuddruckers is just going to decide he wants to live in a nice neighborhood and "CLICK", it's going to happen. You bet.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the college kid working part time at Fuddruckers is just going to decide he wants to live in a nice neighborhood and "CLICK", it's going to happen. You bet.
Why make assumptions on how much money others have?

Regardless, there is no escaping the air quality in LA and it doesnt matter if someone makes 30,000 a year or 300,000.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Why make assumptions on how much money others have?
He's not making any assumptions; it's common knowledge that a lot of people don't have the financial backing to live in a prime area throughout their college years. I mean, yeah, some do... but plenty don't, no matter what city they live in!

Quote:
Regardless, there is no escaping the air quality in LA and it doesnt matter if someone makes 30,000 a year or 300,000.
Actually, yeah. If you live in Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, basically anywhere within a few miles of the beach it's really not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City