Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:41 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

The migration patterns of Texans to California at the turn of last century was pretty large(especially amongst African-Americans), and the same thing is happening vice versa with Californians moving to Texans. So what I'm basically asking is, for feedback from Texans and Californians about there family history between the 2 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
My aunt used to live in Sonora & San Francisco for many years when her husband was a doctor in the army. They divorced & she now lives back in her home state of Texas.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
My aunt used to live in Sonora & San Francisco for many years when her husband was a doctor in the army. They divorced & she now lives back in her home state of Texas.
That's pretty awesome. It seems like alot of people are moving back to Texas. And when I lived in Austin, it seemed like alot of people who were moving away to try and "make it", moved to California. What part of Texas does she live?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
Nope, but my Texas family only dates back a generation and most of my cousins are on the east coast.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Nope, but my Texas family only dates back a generation and most of my cousins are on the east coast.
Where on the East-coast.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:06 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Yes I have 10 family members in counting in California.

Bay Area:
- My cousin, his wife, & his two kids in Cupertino, CA (suburb of San Jose)
- My other cousin, her husband, & her two kids in San Jose, CA

Southland:
My other cousin actually moved here from abroad, she's very glitzy and into glamor, and her dad was a politician (my moms brother). She decided to move to Los Angeles after getting married, and works in the fashion line (something relating to fashion, I don't know). So in Southern California I have family in Los Angeles, my cousin and her husband.

By the way, even though I live in Houston, I never refer to myself as a "Texan". Haha, but I just wanted to add into this thread regardless.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:09 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Where on the East-coast.
My family historically settled in North Carolina from Scotland. My last name can still be found on all manner of stores in and around parts of the state, as they are my long, long distant cousins. My more immediate family though has spread around, and I have cousins in North Carolina, South Carolina, New Jersey, Florida, and Tennessee. (Also in Seattle, which is sort of like California, right? )

I'm trying to remember if I have any relatives on my Mom's side in California. (She is Mexican, and most of my cousins on her side are still in Mexico, but I do have cousins in Texas and New Mexico that I know about. It is probable I do have family in California, I just don't really know about it.)

Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
My family goes back 6 generations--back to the late 1850s---in Northern California. But I don't have any family in Texas, except for an uncle who moved to Houston for about 20 years because of his job in the oil industry, I can't think of any relatives who live in Texas. If I look at my family tree, I know of one branch of the famiily that was in Texas prior to emigrating to California around the 1870s...

Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
My family goes back 6 generations--back to the late 1850s---in Northern California. But I don't have any family in Texas, except for an uncle who moved to Houston for about 20 years because of his job in the oil industry, I can't think of any relatives who live in Texas. If I look at my family tree, I know of one branch of the famiily that was in Texas prior to emigrating to California around the 1870s...
There you go right there.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 PM

149 posts, read 357,573 times
My Grandparents lived in Englewood, CA and worked at the North American plant which produced P51 Mustangs and later B25 bombers during WWII. They moved out there but not to look for work but for a job that only had a 6 day a week schedule. Then the war broke out. When the war ended they returned to Lubbock but my grandmother's siblings and mother stayed in California.

The great aunts and uncles are dead but I have lots and lots of cousins who wouldn't claim us Texas Country Bumpkins as relatives out there still.

My family is 8 generations deep in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City