Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,103,996 times

Advertisements

What are some college towns that are more commonly known household names (because of the college) nationally than other larger towns within the same state??? List the the college towns and the less popular larger cities.

Georgia:
Athens is more commonly known then Columbus, Macon and Augusta.

Alabama:
Tuscaloosa is more known than Huntsville IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Charlottesville, VA>Roanoke, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth
Chapel Hill, NC>Greensboro, Durham, Winston-Salem
Ann Arbor, MI>Ypsilanti, Flint, Grand Rapids
Berkeley, CA>Fresno, Bakersfield

Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
Though this may sound odd...I think you could make an argument for Madison>Milwaukee.

I feel like Madison gets a huge amount of publicity...but at the same time, maybe I'm just listening to ESPN Radio too much.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:23 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
In Indiana, Bloomington, South Bend, and maybe West Lafayette are more well known than Evansville.

Champaign is more well known than Decatur.

Columbia, MO is more well known than Springfield, MO.

Oxford, MS is more well known than Meridian and Tupelo.

State College/Happy Valley is more well known than Erie.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:57 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Ann Arbor is much larger than Ypsilanti, about the same size as Flint, and probably about equally well-known as Grand Rapids for what it's worth.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I agree with Berkeley and Ann Arbor. But no way is Chapel Hill more known than Greensboro, Durham and Winston-Salem. I'll give it Asheville, Wilmington, Fayetteville, and High Point, and definitely Gastonia.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 PM

226 posts, read 646,485 times
Champaign is a good example. Almost as equally well known as Peoria and Springfield. and according to the census 3 years ago overtook Bloomington in population.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:54 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,951,759 times
Gainesville (Florida Gators) is better known than Jacksonville which is much much larger. Any thoughts??

Old 12-16-2010, 12:55 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,103,996 times
There's 'lots of interesting views in here.

Charlottesville - Newport News, Norfolk .....is it really more popular?

I dont think Madison is more widely known than Milwaukee, because of the pro teams, beer, and the sitcoms Happy Day's and Laverne and Shirley

I dont know about Chapell Hill compared to Greensboro, Durham and Winston-Salem.

adavi215, I'm a little shocked you say with certainty Chapell Hill isnt more well known than those cities, but you'll give it Asheville and Wilmington?? Arent they equally or more well known than Durham and Winston-Salem themselves?

Also Gainesville to JAX....I'm not sure. I thought about that. I still think Jacksonville is more well known.

I think Gainesville is more well known than Cape Coral, Clearwater and St. Pete (maybe) though. Tallahassee over St. Pete as well.

To be a much smaller city and metro, I'll say Tallahassee is atleast equally as known as JAX or more.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:24 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,118,032 times
Personally I don't see how a college town can be more widely known than a city 5-6 times its size that is growing more rapidly via immigration than most metros in the country.

Unless your life revolves around college football, there is no way that Athens is more well known than Macon or Augusta (the Masters is in Augusta and Macon might be equal to Athens). There is also no way Tuscaloosa is more well known than Huntsville, a city that is larger, growing fairly rapidly, and is home to a major research park and a NASA space center. There is absolutely no way Charlottesville is more well known than Norfolk, the lead city of a 1.7 million person metro and the nation's largest military base and a huge port that serves global commerce (and VA Beach right there).

I also agree that Chapel Hill the city is not more widely known than Durham, Winston Salem (RJ Reynolds, Winston cigarettes, BB&T), or Asheville (anyone who summers or vacations in the mountains, which is a lot of people, knows Asheville...and Grove Park Inn and Biltmore House and Vineyards). Chapel Hill to people outside of NC = a school, not a city.

I'm also not so sure Ann Arbor is more well known than Grand Rapids, a decently major city. Ann Arbor is a beautiful college town (probably my favorite) but most people think of Ann Arbor almost as a school rather than a city.

Madison is also definitely not more widely known or talked about than Milwaukee. PBR, Miller, sausage, etc etc etc and Milwaukee is about 1.6 million people and an old city with tons of history. Milwaukee also has 3 professional sports teams, including the Brewers and the Bucks! It is absurd to think more people talk about and refer to Madison than Milwaukee.

I agree with Toxic Toast's analysis the most, but I would argue that Tupelo is more widely known than Oxford and Springfield is more widely known than Columbia.

Also, perhaps the most absurd is Gainesville being more widely known than Jacksonville and Tallahassee being more widely known than Jax. Jax was just ranked the 24th most heavily sought after retirement city in America with 76 percent of seniors coming from out of state (usually Tri-State) and Jax is growing at about 20% a decade and is already 1.4 million people. It has a prof sports team, the TPC, a major port, Mayo Clinic, and beaches, as well as St. Augustine/Ponte Vedra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City