Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

What are the cities in which males have the most feminine qualities. I have noticed this trend among the U.S. male population.

Rank them in order from most to least.

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Houston
Phoenix
Philadelphia
San Antonio
Dallas
San Diego
San Francisco
Denver
Portland
Seattle
Milwaukee
DC
Boston
Atlanta
Miami

Old 07-30-2010, 12:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
San Fran maybe

Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 PM

244 posts, read 568,205 times
What exactly does feminine qualities mean?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:17 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
While it shouldn't be the only factor in making this weird list, which will not be accurate on any accounts, but fun nontheless, is that I would think the cities that are more renowned for their shopping and are top 10 shopping cities, would just have more of a feminine male population due to a larger shopping options,etc. Also big tourist destinations that have a lot of spas and resorts.

Therefore(not in any order) NYC, LA, Miami, Atlanta, San Francisco, Dallas, Chicago, etc would have a hand up here, although Chicago has a working class vibe, and Dallas is still in Texas, so both of those factors take away from it.

Anyways your list is weird, I would place Miami and Atlanta MUCH higher, have no idea how Houston and San Antonio made it so high. And how is San Francisco not in the top 3, if not number 1, gay males are still males, so gay or not, most would have feminine qualities.

Another thing is that these so called progressive environmental-friendly cities, like Portland, and sort of Seattle and Denver, should be higher as liberals and progressive people are more likely to be feminine than more conservative males.

Anways enough stereotyping, but all in all towards the top should be , in no order, NYC, SF, LA, Seattle, Portland, SD, Atlanta, and Miami.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:19 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve
Anyways your list is weird, I would place Miami and Atlanta MUCH higher, have no idea how Houston and San Antonio made it so high. And how is San Francisco not in the top 3, if not number 1, gay males are still males, so gay or not, most would have feminine qualities.
He just listed them out. He didn't rank them.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:31 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
What are the criteria that define feminine qualities within a male? We talking gynecomastia? We talking high counts of estrogen? We talking homosexuality? We talking about the most transexual? What in the world are you talking about?

(I don't see this thread lasting very long)

Old 07-30-2010, 12:34 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
I'm assuming he means men that do activities associated with women. Not necessarily gay men(could be), but more so metro-sexual men. Men that like to get manicures and pedicures, shopping for nice clothes that are in fashion, getting their hair done, etc.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:37 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
He just listed them out. He didn't rank them.
Yes they are not in a numbered list. I just grabbed large population centers... if I happened to miss any large cities that should be on here let me know... I know there are a few I probably overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I'm assuming he means men that do activities associated with women. Not necessarily gay men(could be), but more so metro-sexual men. Men that like to get manicures and pedicures, shopping for nice clothes that are in fashion, getting their hair done, etc.
Something along those lines yes. I did not want to use the term metrosexual however as I do not think that is a clear definition at this point. But the gist of it is along that, traditionally feminine traits and activities that are now being held by more and more males, as in opposition to virility/masculinity. Also, not all homosexual men have feminine qualities so its not really sexuality.

Last edited by grapico; 07-30-2010 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
What are the criteria that define feminine qualities within a male? We talking gynecomastia? We talking high counts of estrogen? We talking homosexuality? We talking about the most transexual? What in the world are you talking about?

(I don't see this thread lasting very long)
No; I think he means cities that have a reputation or being known for things stereotypically considered more feminine than masculine like shopping, musicals and more.

For Example: When you think of Chicago or Houston; you don't think of the World-Class art or the amazing shopping these cities have; you think hard-working, blue collar, industries and more. I guess more macho type jobs or atmosphere.

Whereas with places like LA or Dallas; you think shopping, pretentious, fashionable, glamorous, and more. These things tend to be less masculine and more feminine.

That's my take on it.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:11 PM

648 posts, read 1,618,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
While it shouldn't be the only factor in making this weird list, which will not be accurate on any accounts, but fun nontheless, is that I would think the cities that are more renowned for their shopping and are top 10 shopping cities, would just have more of a feminine male population due to a larger shopping options,etc. Also big tourist destinations that have a lot of spas and resorts.

Therefore(not in any order) NYC, LA, Miami, Atlanta, San Francisco, Dallas, Chicago, etc would have a hand up here, although Chicago has a working class vibe, and Dallas is still in Texas, so both of those factors take away from it.

Another thing is that these so called progressive environmental-friendly cities, like Portland, and sort of Seattle and Denver, should be higher as liberals and progressive people are more likely to be feminine than more conservative males.

Anways enough stereotyping, but all in all towards the top should be , in no order, NYC, SF, LA, Seattle, Portland, SD, Atlanta, and Miami.
NYC is probably one of the most homophobic cities with the exception of transplants and Manhattan.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City