Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 12:18 PM

21 posts, read 92,851 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm currently living in Pittsburgh, PA but I'm planning to move out of PA. One option is to go to Texas. I have an advanced degree in Computer Science. A place that seems to have jobs for that area is Austin, TX

Can anyone comment on how similar/different/better/worse are Austin and Pittsburgh? For instance in the following areas:
  • Job opportunities in Tech jobs
  • Singles scene (I'm in my thirties)
  • Cost of living, and economy in general
  • Weather
  • Scenery
  • Friendliness
  • Other: Skyline?
Thanks in advance

P.S. Feel free to suggest another TX city (please don't suggest places outside TX) if you think there are also good opportunities for my professional career.

Last edited by markrj; 12-19-2010 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 04:56 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,254 times
I pretty much tried the exact same thing two years ago after graduation...however, I'm in education and PA is about as good as it gets for teachers so that idea fell apart immediately when I lucked out and got an offer to teach in SWPA. My advice is this: Don't move until you know for sure that you have a job. If you have something around here, well...that's better than moving half a continent away and finding out that you can't land a job.

About Austin, all that I have to say is that it's a wonferful city. It has over twice the residential population as Pittsburgh yet it feels as if it's much, much smaller. The less stressfull(that means a lot since Pittsburgh is pretty easy going) feeling to the city is pretty remarkable and it's definately got a ton of charm. You'll know immediately if it's for you, it's not "love it or hate it", however it'll definately speak to you if your personality and view of life matches up to Austin's quirkiness. It's similar to Pittsburgh in that it's got a vibe all to itself that no other city can really recreate. If you're definately moving, I'd head to Austin in a heartbeat if it turns out to be a realistic option. Very youthfull, very modern, friendly and proud people, very clean, tons of fun, great weather for about 8-9 months out of the year, lots of outdoors-y activities, and just a great little city overall. It's far more active than Pittsburgh and you should have more social opportunities. It's sort of best suited for people who are young at heart and don't like city life yet want to live in a city. It's not very urban at all and doesn't have any of the blight and "red brick/cement" that east coast/midwest cities have. The economy is booming throughout Austin and Texas, I'm pretty sure Austin has the nickname "Silicon Hills" due to the Hill Country and tech industry. Topography is very similar to Pittsburgh actually...very pretty part of America. The cost of living is higher than Pittsburgh but not necessarily too high overall.

Check out the videos and pictures in this thread while you read up: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...tsburgh-2.html

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 12-19-2010 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 04:18 PM

@TelecasterBlues

Thanks for your comments and the thread you linked to

In that thread most of the discussion centered about Austin vs Houston, not so much about Austin vs Pittsburgh. When these two cities were compared it was about few of the aspects I asked except for scenery (and just barely). They started talking about "culture" and other things

I'm amazed of how few people have compared these two cities, but I hope someone else can also comment during the upcoming days.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,124 times
Both are great cities but I would go with Pittsburgh. I don't mind clouds, rain, and some cold weather so Pittsburgh would not be a problem for me. Having the Pittsburgh Steelers would be a major perk. Austin is great is you love college sports. How you feel about weather should make this choice an easy one but both are awesome cities. I personally would feel more at home in Pittsburgh. Plus, summertime in Pittsburgh would be much better than Austin.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I pretty much tried the exact same thing two years ago after graduation...however, I'm in education and PA is about as good as it gets for teachers so that idea fell apart immediately when I lucked out and got an offer to teach in SWPA. My advice is this: Don't move until you know for sure that you have a job. If you have something around here, well...that's better than moving half a continent away and finding out that you can't land a job.
About Austin, all that I have to say is that it's a wonferful city. It has over twice the residential population as Pittsburgh yet it feels as if it's much, much smaller. The less stressfull(that means a lot since Pittsburgh is pretty easy going) feeling to the city is pretty remarkable and it's definately got a ton of charm. You'll know immediately if it's for you, it's not "love it or hate it", however it'll definately speak to you if your personality and view of life matches up to Austin's quirkiness. It's similar to Pittsburgh in that it's got a vibe all to itself that no other city can really recreate. If you're definately moving, I'd head to Austin in a heartbeat if it turns out to be a realistic option. Very youthfull, very modern, friendly and proud people, very clean, tons of fun, great weather for about 8-9 months out of the year, lots of outdoors-y activities, and just a great little city overall. It's far more active than Pittsburgh and you should have more social opportunities. It's sort of best suited for people who are young at heart and don't like city life yet want to live in a city. It's not very urban at all and doesn't have any of the blight and "red brick/cement" that east coast/midwest cities have. The economy is booming throughout Austin and Texas, I'm pretty sure Austin has the nickname "Silicon Hills" due to the Hill Country and tech industry. Topography is very similar to Pittsburgh actually...very pretty part of America. The cost of living is higher than Pittsburgh but not necessarily too high overall.
Check out the videos and pictures in this thread while you read up: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...tsburgh-2.html
Nice job capturing the uniqueness of Austin, in my opinion the best place on earth. Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoy98121 View Post
Both are great cities but I would go with Pittsburgh. I don't mind clouds, rain, and some cold weather so Pittsburgh would not be a problem for me. Having the Pittsburgh Steelers would be a major perk. Austin is great is you love college sports. How you feel about weather should make this choice an easy one but both are awesome cities. I personally would feel more at home in Pittsburgh. Plus, summertime in Pittsburgh would be much better than Austin.
He he. Well, I do mind the horrible Pittsburgh weather, but that's just one aspect of the comparison (i.e., few people will choose Austin if its job market sucks even if it has the best weather of both cities). What about the others?
  • Job opportunities in Tech jobs
  • Singles scene (I'm in my thirties)
  • Cost of living, and economy in general
  • Weather
  • Scenery
  • Friendliness
  • Other: Skyline?

BTW: Seattle is such a lovely city. I visited it one time this year.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:01 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
It's all on you, I would choose Pittsburgh for the reasons that were already stated plus I think it can be now considered one of the few cities in America where hockey is up there in popularity. I personally would have a hard time moving half way across the continent to a place where I won't know a soul and it different from what I'm used to. But you should make a visit to Austin to see if it is a place you could live in and would live.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 PM

70 posts, read 168,173 times
Even though Austin is known for tech, you should try Dallas and Houston as well. They are much bigger cities with more diverse economies. I understand the job market in Austin is tight, because of all the college grads that don't want to move away. San Antonio, where I live, might be worth a look too. I personally wouldn't recommend it, because it's kind of sleepy here, but ymmv.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:49 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,049,618 times
San Antonio, a hidden gem

Old 12-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
Even though Austin is known for tech, you should try Dallas and Houston as well. They are much bigger cities with more diverse economies. I understand the job market in Austin is tight, because of all the college grads that don't want to move away.
Yes, that's the impression I was getting: many tech companies but with a tight job market, but I don't know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
It's all on you, I would choose Pittsburgh for the reasons that were already stated plus I think it can be now considered one of the few cities in America where hockey is up there in popularity.
Yes, I love the Penguins, but I think I didn't make myself clear. I want to leave Pittsburgh. I just wanted to know how well it compared to Austin in the areas I mentioned. Nothing wrong with Pittsburgh, but just need to move to the South for reasons too long to explain. Texas is my very first choice, and Austin sounded like a city like Pittsburgh: not too big but with many advantages, specially the tech companies.

Quote:
I personally would have a hard time moving half way across the continent to a place where I won't know a soul and it different from what I'm used to.
I have done this in the past, so it's not a problem.

Quote:
But you should make a visit to Austin to see if it is a place you could live in and would live.
Yeah, but I want to gather as much information about it as I can before going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City