Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:52 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Certain cities in this country have been "hip" and "trendy" in recent years. First it was Portland. Then Austin. Now Pittsburgh seems to be the recipient of much adoration and attention and has recently been the setting for movies and video games. What city do you feel will be the next to rise in national prominence and popularity, attracting hordes of younger educated job-seeking migrants, hipsters, and media praise?

Louisville? Cincinnati? Nashville? Detroit? Oklahoma City? Columbus? Indianapolis? St. Louis? Omaha? Albuquerque?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Certain cities in this country have been "hip" and "trendy" in recent years. First it was Portland. Then Austin. Now Pittsburgh seems to be the recipient of much adoration and attention and has recently been the setting for movies and video games. What city do you feel will be the next to rise in national prominence and popularity, attracting hordes of younger educated job-seeking migrants, hipsters, and media praise?

Louisville? Cincinnati? Nashville? Detroit? Oklahoma City? Columbus? Indianapolis? St. Louis? Omaha? Albuquerque?
None

Austin and Portland haven't reached a peak to gain that title. Pittsburgh still hasn't made the transition from being branded a steel manufacturing city to a progressive one as yet.

DC and SF will hold onto the criteria you mentioned. No cities have shown they are capable of competing with those two cities yet.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
None

Austin and Portland haven't reached a peak to gain that title. Pittsburgh still hasn't made the transition from being branded a steel manufacturing city to a progressive one as yet.

DC and SF will hold onto the criteria you mentioned. No cities have shown they are capable of competing with those two cities yet.
I lived near DC for two years recently, and I certainly wouldn't classify it as being hip, exciting, creative, etc. in the same manner as people regard places like Portland, Austin, or Pittsburgh. I'll give you SF, although I feel like SF has matured whereas Portland, Austin, and Pittsburgh are all rising in terms of popularity with the "creative class". Anyone who still thinks of Pittsburgh as a "dying steel town" needs to get out more.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Pittsburgh is a good choice. Also for a smaller city Asheville is really cool and very well known and continues to grow it seems.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
I simply don't see how Pittsburgh fits on the list next to Portland or Austin in terms of national "hip" reputation. Brooklyn (Williamsburg) has held that mantle recently. Portland is recognized mostly because of Portlandia. Austin has been hip for a long time, partly because of SXSW. San Fran has been a constant.

I haven't seen any city seriously on the rise. Most people still seem to move to NYC/San Fran/Austin and the Pac NWest at a much higher rate than elsewhere.

Pittsburgh is a very nice city and it's quite underrated, but I'm sorry - it's not in the same class as the above towns, and no one is moving across the country to Pittsburgh because of the arts. It doesn't really even hit above its weight when it comes to bands/arts/etc.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
Good call on Asheville, though it has a long way to go before it's as powerful a magnet as some of the "usual suspects." Surprisingly, I know numerous people who have moved to Las Cruces, NM because of the weather/region/arts. I myself have never been there.

Also, Detroit and Memphis have consistently been "hip" spots with great bands and so forth, but they aren't a destination, it's about the local populace/culture/history.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

There's a video game set in Pittsburgh? I'd like to check that out, sounds interesting...

As far as your question goes--maybe Milwaukee could be on the list... Though who really knows? Just look at mid-sized cities fairly close to already popular destinations with good older housing stock and somewhat historic neighborhoods that already have a sort of local artistic scene or colleges. Like Providence, Rhode Island or Richmond, Virginia.

One thing to remember is that Portland and Austin were attracting bohemians and artsy folks(both transplants and homegrown) for many many years before suddenly the New York Times figured they were worthy of national attention and the stream of transplants become a flood... I mean Austin had a music scene going back to the 1960s and earlier... It wasn't until recently though that the cities became more than just mid-sized cities/metros with a few funky neighborhoods and suddenly became yuppie tourist destinations...

Old 06-27-2013, 01:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
It's not like the show Portlandia created the Portland of the show. It did happen the other way around, you know.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 PM

519 posts, read 1,023,939 times
Umm...Austin and Portland sure, but since when has Pittsburgh been trendy?

edit- Oh, the OP lives in Pittsburgh. Its a fine medium-sized city, but I promise you that it doesn't have a reputation for being hip.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:56 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There's a video game set in Pittsburgh? I'd like to check that out, sounds interesting...

As far as your question goes--maybe Milwaukee could be on the list... Though who really knows? Just look at mid-sized cities fairly close to already popular destinations with good older housing stock and somewhat historic neighborhoods that already have a sort of local artistic scene or colleges. Like Providence, Rhode Island or Richmond, Virginia.

One thing to remember is that Portland and Austin were attracting bohemians and artsy folks(both transplants and homegrown) for many many years before suddenly the New York Times figured they were worthy of national attention and the stream of transplants become a flood... I mean Austin had a music scene going back to the 1960s and earlier... It wasn't until recently though that the cities became more than just mid-sized cities/metros with a few funky neighborhoods and suddenly became yuppie tourist destinations...
Good call on Providence-forgot to mention it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City