Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has best transit in Sunbelt
Atlanta 35 49.30%
Houston 3 4.23%
Miami 2 2.82%
New Orleans 1 1.41%
Dallas 5 7.04%
LA 17 23.94%
Charolett 0 0%
Austin 0 0%
Las Vegas 2 2.82%
Orlando 0 0%
San Deigo 5 7.04%
Jacksonville 1 1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 PM

86 posts, read 121,104 times

Advertisements

I'd want to know what sunbelt city has the best rail and overall transit system and rank them. People on here bash Marta as the worst and I just wanted to see opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 01:09 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
Stupid intro, but obviously Atlanta's. Heaviest ridership after LA's and most extensive heavy rail system. LA's system is more extensive and has more riders, but can hardly be called adequate for a region of over 16 million people. I would hardly even call it a competition. Atlanta is also now getting streetcars (received largest TIGER II grant), and the Beltline is moving along swiftly (ROW is still missing from half of the loop). Atlanta also has some serious commuter busses (GRTA, CCRT, etc).

MARTA also goes directly to the airport, and that is a +++++++ that makes half the difference.

I would not try to claim MARTA is the safest or cleanest system, but I have not been on LA's system to compare, and I have a personal experience bias against the safety or cleanliness of MARTA trains.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 PM

276 posts, read 432,059 times
Atlanta

Old 01-02-2011, 01:25 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Stupid intro, but obviously Atlanta's. Heaviest ridership after LA's and most extensive heavy rail system. LA's system is more extensive and has more riders, but can hardly be called adequate for a region of over 16 million people. I would hardly even call it a competition.
For serving the urban core of Los Angeles, Metro in L.A. does a pretty good job. Public transportation should be provided where there will be demand and the center of the city is where it is at. There are viable options to go car-less or at least commute via public transit in this region. Here is the bus and rail routes in the core of L.A. that has about 2 million people:

For the outer suburbs like Orange County or the Inland Empire, buses are largely a waste because those areas are largely single family homes (L.A. city proper has tons of aprtments and neighborhoods with greater than 10,000 people per square mile). I think it is smart So Cal is focusing on the core areas with public transit first. The suburbs are connected by commuter rail called Metrolink so that when residents go to L.A., they can drive to a Metrolink station and then spend a car free work day or visit day in L.A.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:27 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Taking into account all of their respective sizes and riderships for their size. I would definitely say Atlanta makes more impact into its community with its transit system than any of the others do to their communities overall.

In my opinion, I think Los Angeles, Dallas-Fort Worth, & Atlanta are making the greatest strides for better transit systems also.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
DART has 72 miles of track, but the ridership is kinda low. Hopefully, more people will ride the train.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Why was Orlando even put into this? Just too Boost Atlanta up I suppose. We don't have any subway,elevated train or light rail and you more than likely knew this. Same for Jacksonville. it's amazing to me the lengths you people will go for your city.

That being said San Diego/L.A. Nice outreaching RAIL and Bus Systems through their entire Metros. Not to mention their ferry routes and great access to their airports.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Why was Orlando even put into this? Just too Boost Atlanta up I suppose. We don't have any subway,elevated train or light rail and you more than likely knew this. Same for Jacksonville. it's amazing to me the lengths you people will go for your city.

That being said San Diego/L.A. Nice outreaching RAIL and Bus Systems through their entire Metros. Not to mention their ferry routes and great access to their airports.
No, not at all since rail is not the end all be all of transit. This is about transit so I am not sure how this is boosting ATL as everyone on this site hates MARTA.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 PM

I should have added Phoenix to the poll. I knew I forgot one.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSuperfriend View Post
No, not at all since rail is not the end all be all of transit. This is about transit so I am not sure how this is boosting ATL as everyone on this site hates MARTA.
Not even that. Think about the cities you listed. Atlantas Metro is over 5 million as well as L.A. and San Deigo and Phoenix and Dallas and Houston and Miami. What I'm saying is compare it to those cities who are in the same size category as Atlanta. You talk about people hating MARTA but what your doing is boosting Atlanta up by including smaller metros who dont even have the same amount of transit options as Atlantas. The Metros other than the ones over 5 millions do not have the same amount of transit options. I just see it as a weak comparison. Come on guy, everybody knows Florida alone does not have good transit man lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City