Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which transplant would you rather have?
New York 32 30.48%
California 44 41.90%
neither 29 27.62%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I'm not hating at all. I've already said I like New Yorkers. but how would you feel if someone from California came to your city acting like they were better than you, smarter than you, more important than you, etc....you wouldn't tolerate that, now would you?

a lot of NYers are cool, but the arrogant ones only make themselves look stupid. nobody's impressed with where you're from
Well what can other people expect? We are NYers... and NYC is the best city in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well what can other people expect? We are NYers... and NYC is the best city in the world.
Grow up already. you must not have much of a sense of self-worth if the only thing you take pride in is where you're from.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Grow up already. you must not have much of a sense of self-worth if the only thing you take pride in is where you're from.
I think that you are jealous of NYC.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I think that you are jealous of NYC.
I love New York. Proud to call it an American city. I have family there. Nothing to be jealous of. You're just childish. if someone from California was acting the same way as you, I'd tell them the same things I'm telling you. it has nothing to do with where you're from

Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
I like people from Upstate New York, generally speaking. They can be more blunt than us Southerners, but they are also very down-to-earth and try to, generally speaking, blend in or at least respect local culture.

Even more Metro NYers are decent enough. But, sometimes an authentic, strong accent of a borough or suburban area around NYC can sometimes be grating on the ears. Thus, coming across as strong to a Southerner.

Californians are, let's face it, generally more chilled and relaxed. Even happier and friendlier. I prefer them, especially the Southern California transplants. Northern Californian transplants can be mixed bags, either in my experience really friendly or bearing a suppressed "mad at the world" attitude.

Neither group is really any more materialistic than certain suburban areas around, say, Louisville, Nashville, Birmingham, or Atlanta. Only NY Metro, SoCal and the Bay Area themselves cover much more real estate and have many more people.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
do you tell people where you're from when they didn't ask?
Never. Why should I?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
I have met my share of both, I still prefer Californians any day over New Yorkers. They seem more laid back, not rude or too straight fwd like New yorkers, and so what if they gloat a little, where else can you live close to the beach, the desert, the forests, the mountains, world renowned attractions and not freeze or pay 2500 bucks rent for a studio like in NYC. The things I dont like about Calif is of course the traffic, the smog and how crowded it is and also how your income level REALLY affects you more on where you will live. The closer to the coast, the better off you are. I guess I can take someone from California that gloats, o well, but if he is from Fresno or Bakersfield and gloats being from California, that to me is like someone from Buffalo gloating about his New York state adress, lol..
Is not Fresno in CA? Is not Buffalo in NY? And why do you concern yourself with those who "gloat" about their address? They are to be ignored.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 AM

134 posts, read 126,989 times
I would rather have Californian transplants. New Yorkers are probably the most arrogant, self-absorbed, and stuck up people I have ever met. Not saying all New Yorkers are like this, just specifically talking about those raised in NYC or on Long Island.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Funny thread. I would choose NYer's because I like direct communication. I like CAians, but my experience is that they are a bit indirect. This is the only generalization I'm willing to make about either.

Reminder: NYers include the rest of NYS (and not just NYC), and the rest of NYS is mostly made up of working class individuals. I think that those in upstate and western NY are direct communicators, similar to NYC, but are a bit slower-paced and can sometimes be a bit more down to earth (depending on the person).

Old 01-22-2011, 08:11 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,320 times
lol, who from NYC would quality as a genuine New Yorker these days? Much of the city is foreign-born, or consists of people who migrated from other states. The "real" New Yorkers down in ungentrified parts (the parts that receive little outside migration) Bed-Stuy, Harlem, South Brooklyn, et al, are good people; it's just the annoying transplants who think acting with arrogance & pretentiousness makes them a real New Yorker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City