Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in the south has the most "big city" feel?
Atlanta 93 27.84%
Charlotte 4 1.20%
Dallas 46 13.77%
Fort Worth 1 0.30%
Houston 94 28.14%
Jacksonville 1 0.30%
Memphis 4 1.20%
Miami 66 19.76%
New Orleans 23 6.89%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
San Antonio 2 0.60%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:47 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
At least 3 links I posted has streets as wide the one you just posted there. Atlanta doesn't have western-like streets that are generally wide. Atlanta is still an eastern city and eastern cities generally had smaller street widths.
An exception to this general rule is planned cities. Savannah, Augusta, Columbus, and Columbia, SC all have pretty wide streets, often with grassy/planted medians.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:58 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
This is all ridiculous. Either the people from Atlanta, and Houston that keep saying those two cities match the built environment of new Orleans outside the quarter either never left the quarter or they enjoyed the festivities a little too much.

The urban areas of Atlanta, DFW and Houston are so large, and the buildings so tall, i would imagine it taking 100 years and a hefty population increase before they see the built out block to block development of New Orleans. These 3 cities are constantly building up and out, increasing the urban footprint, while New Orleans is hemmed in by a huge lake, wetlands, and bisected by a river. At the same time they don't build up as much, so the limited land they do have, they build low. Making it easy for all the land to be built out.

I really can't imagine Houston, DFW and ATL ever being built out because of the abundance of space and the hirises. While New Orleans would use 10 blocks to build 10 buildings under 10 stories, the other 3 would use 3 blocks, throw up 3 buildings over 10 floors and leave the rest empty. So yes in that way the big three achieve a higher population density, but a lower built density and lower big city feel because of all the gaps
This.

But it doesn't feel like those cities are smaller because of it.
Quote:
At least 3 links I posted has streets as wide the one you just posted there. Atlanta doesn't have western-like streets that are generally wide. Atlanta is still an eastern city and eastern cities generally had smaller street widths.
Atlanta has southern like streets because it's southern, that doesn't mean anything though. There are also western cities with narrow streets.
Quote:
Skyscrapers contribute to a big city feel. Would you consider Seattle's core to be more big city feeling than NOLA? NOLA is more compact, but Seattle scale is much larger with a skyscraper downtown and 4-6 story apartment midrises radiating from that area.

And if Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta can have these large urban waves every decade, it won't take nearly as long as you think. It only took Seattle 2 or 3 decades from going from a core where parking lots were very numerous to a fairly built out core with little parking lots remaining. All they have to do is build out 30 square miles or so to get that very big city feel.

And let's be honest: When's the last time NOLA has had a significant wave of development? It's remain relatively stagnant for decades now. The pop. growth it's experiencing now is mainly because returning to housing units that weren't previously occupied. It's not really building much of any new housing. It'll never when the city is experiencing annual net job losses.
I don't doubt that they can get to that point. Houston seems to be doing a good job in the loop but there's a long way to go.

Haven't been paying much attention to NOLA huh?
It's been seeing a significant wave of development for years. No more housing projects in the city, most replaced with dense mixed-income housing. Numerous large scale building renovations in the CBD have take place recently. Apartments & Condos - Downtown New Orleans
South Market District is a retail and residential development within the CBD: South Market District
There's alot going on in New Orleans right now, long way to go but it's far from stagnant right now. And what does new housing mean? All the renovations in Uptown, Mid-City, St. Roch, Marigny, Bywater, etc certainly count for something. Many of them being split into multi-family units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Thank you. I was one who'd not consider florida but I can relate to your argument. Houston and East TX is a small part of the state and bc of that portion, we get lumped in with "south" like GA, AL, SC. Wth, smh

I'll take your word for it since u live there

I cant contribute much on the NoLa debate. But it seems like if a city had more hi rises, skyscrapers, and population density then it would easily feel bigger than another city. Hou, Atl, DFW (sorry Southernboy) all beat NoLa in those three categories. OP's question was "what city?", not what cities urban core.
I don't live in Florida, or Texas. But I would say Texas is southern, at least part of it is.
I never said New Orleans felt bigger than those on a whole.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:08 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I'll be so glad when Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta aren't always used in the same sentence.
Unless those cities each lose a chunk of population, it wont happen.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:13 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Unless those cities each lose a chunk of population, it wont happen.
Dallas and Houston have left Atlanta in the dust, so it's time that Dallas and Houston be named with other cities in a higher tier.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:10 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Dallas and Houston have left Atlanta in the dust, so it's time that Dallas and Houston be named with other cities in a higher tier.
How that job growth doing for ya in Houston? Atlanta's October job growth will be nearly as high as Houston's annual job growth when the next Bureau of Labor Statistic's report comes out for October next week.

Houston annual job growth - 36k Table 3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area

Atlanta's October job growth - 32.4k

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...-10-years.html

Atlanta will catch back up to Houston over the next 5 years while Houston is still reeling from the oil collapse.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Atlanta, Houston, DFW, and Miami will all continue to be the "Big Four" of the South and will continue to be compared with each other. Don't let that upset you.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:48 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta, Houston, DFW, and Miami will all continue to be the "Big Four" of the South and will continue to be compared with each other. Don't let that upset you.
Thinking long term, at least one of these cities is bound to eclipse the others in most ways. My money is on Houston. The city is a sleeping giant.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Thinking long term, at least one of these cities is bound to eclipse the others in most ways. My money is on Houston. The city is a sleeping giant.
I don't think it will be in our lifetimes myself.

And it's hard to call any of these four "sleeping giants," especially when Houston was firing on all cylinders and has been getting a crapload of press for it.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:10 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think it will be in our lifetimes myself.

And it's hard to call any of these four "sleeping giants," especially when Houston was firing on all cylinders and has been getting a crapload of press for it.
What I mean is that it's full potential has yet to be realized, and no, I don't think Houston has been giving the world everything its got. That's why most people still know relatively little about the place.

There may never be a "New York" of the South, but it may be more of a West Coast dynamic.

Houston = Los Angeles
DFW = Bay Area
Miami = San Diego
Atlanta = Seattle

Just my opinion, of course.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:19 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This.

But it doesn't feel like those cities are smaller because of it.

I never said New Orleans felt bigger than those on a whole.
Exactly.
People are getting indignant at the notion of a a 1 million metro feeling bigger than 6 to 7 million metros in SOME aspects.

When you look at job market, there is no way NO compares.
When you look at airport destinations, no way NO compares.
When you look at skyscrappers, New highways, New mega developments, no it does not compare.
When you look at driving across a metro that gored in forever, no it does not compare.

But pick 10 random spots in each metro and I can bet you that more often than not the ones from NO would feel more urban than the others. It had been a big mature city for longer than the others so yes it going to feel more urban in the traditional sense.

Overall New Orleans does not feel bigger than the big 4, but on the street level it surpasses all of them.

My pet peeve is that people think you step out of the quarter and fall into Katy. The development style changes but building density does not drop off like it does in the others.

I love walking. I criss cross the city of New Orleans when I'm there, and some of the burbs. South of the the River in burbs like gretna the area is built like the denser areas of SW Houston. Metairie to me is a bit denser, more like the denser parts of inner loop Houston. To me, it's hard to tell where NO ends and Metairie begins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City