Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 AM

765 posts, read 2,127,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Don't ya know?

Opinions are bad here if others don't agree....
Well, his opinion of the city is fine, but he based it on faulty information. To say that Cleveland lacks good restaurants and culture besides the orchestra is false. The Art Museum and Playhouse Square should be recognized, as the facts support that they are in fact highly regarded cultural institutions on a national/international level, additionally Cleveland is in fact establishing a foodie culture, and does have some great restaurants. Just trying to spread some knowledge, feel free to hate the city all you like but don't be misinformed about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
So this thread is giving the opportunity to bash another city. We haven't had too many of those.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefanatic View Post
1) Houston: Just a terrible place imo. To me, it's a giant suburb with materialistic people.

2) Dallas: It's old to me. Not charmingly old, more like what-were-the-architects-smoking-1970's old. Also, it's Houston with more materialistic people.

3) Cleveland: It's filled with poor people and decaying infrastructure with no great restauraunts or culture, with the exception of the Cleveland Orchestra.

4) Miami: It just seemed too "one-note" to me. Too much partying and too little of things that make someone live a better life.

5) El Paso: I never understood what goes on there; wait, what does go on there?
I wonder how many "great" restaurants someone who can't spell "restaurant" goes to.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,799 times
I'd rather post the top five I would love to live in.

There are plenty of places I have no desire to live in, but only a few I would love to call home.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,574 times
My five:

Phoenix
Why? It's a desert! It's too hot, no economy, and water is scarce. Not much of a downtown, and did I mention the heat?

Detroit
What I saw there could make a really great horror film. A perfect example of what one industry, unions, an inept government can do for you!

Cleveland
The mistake by the lake. Enough said. Poster child for rust belt.
Poor weather
Very, very depressing driving through there.

Las Vegas
A town built from nothing. Again, built from one economic industry (see Detroit). This "city" is a neon abomination, and should be torn down. I'm serious.

I saved my best for last, because it's a hotly contested one:
New York city.
I know I'm going to catch heat for this one, but it is not a city I would live in. Would I visit NY time and time again? yes I would. every year. But you have got to be kidding me that living in such a big noisy city like that is any fun 365 days a year? Ridiculously expensive, and is quickly becoming this weird Disneyland of sorts. It's a tourist trap!
I do love it, but absolutely could not live there day in day out, year after year.
Sorry.
For me, I need wide open spaces, and peace and quiet!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:42 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Uhh it's fine (great actually) that you do not want to live here, but at least come up with a real reason.
That would require shelving my truly majestic sense of humor, which is not about to happen.

But seriously (well...not really) I had family in Orlando for years, family who (it should be noted) bailed. Been there often. I know where the aforementioned rodent hangs out, along with Orca The Killer Whale (or Shamu, or Vladimir, or whatever he's called these days), in relation to the actual human populace, and I also know where the beach is.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:55 PM

260 posts, read 757,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I wonder how many "great" restaurants someone who can't spell "restaurant" goes to.

GASP!!!!!! Please forgive me. I didn't know people here cared about a single letter, and besides, that has nothing to do with me liking restaurants.

To AGuyFromCleveland: Admittedly, I did forget about the art museum and Playhouse Square. Thank you for informing me, and you're right, the last time I was there was 11 years ago.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 PM

245 posts, read 545,201 times
KANSAS CITY- City with a great skyline, but when driving around the city, downtown, ect and cannot find a barbq place for which the city is famous, not even a taco bell, then stuck in traffic on horrible freeways, ya pretty dissapointed with KCMO. I think I saw more open restaurants and shops in St Joseph, MO. Couldnt even find a shop for a $#% KC postcard.
DETROIT- Run down, abandoned, I would worry about getting shot daily.
LA- I love La, I could maybe live in the suburbs, but not the city, wayyyyy too crowded, smog, traffic, traffic everywhere, no hiding from it and crime. Did I mention how bad traffic is there?
LINCOLN, NE- Rude people, isolated, cornfields a gas station and more cornfields, boring
MEMPHIS- Besides Beale st, literally besides it, start the mean and run down streets of Memphis, too rundown, dangerous, such a shame for a city with great parks and amazing trees being I am from a place in the desert.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:28 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,782 times
I would not live in New York, Detroit, Philly, Buffalo, Cleveland and Newark, NJ.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM

88 posts, read 198,886 times
1. Detroit A very dangerous city that looks like a bomb went off
2. Atlanta A city with no purpose other than to get up go to work then plan what chain restaurant/ strip mall you want to eat dinner at that evening. The poster child for sprawl, racial undertones and lack of city planning/corruption with 2 usable parks for 5 million people
3. New Orleans- great place to visit...it has a certain charm not found anywhere else but its dangerous and Below Sea Level. basically an accident waiting to happen again
4. Jacksonville- blah times ten and redneck as it gets
5.????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City