Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Hmm... I wouldn't go with any place with fewer than a million in the metro area...

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Given that, my list would be:

1) Phoenix/Tucson- I live in Phoenix now, but aim to get out ASAP (contingent on a firm job offer) and would never come back this way again. Reasons: climate makes me feel sick most of the time (nausea from the heat, chronic coughing, hard to breathe, etc.,) ugly cities, too suburban, too conservative, seemingly transgressive leadership, leaders don't act in the best interests on the civic or state levels, absolutely no walkability, regardless of the economic situation now the quality of the jobs in the area is terrible and the more professional jobs don't pay what one could make in other cities (even when factoring in cost of living,) lack of a diverse economy and no prospects to change that, lack of public transit, closed-minded, and much, much more.

With all of the mega churches in Atlanat but it has no religous mentality ?
2) Oklahoma City: too spread out, no walkability, way too conservative for me, lack of options in dining and nightlife, Bible Belt city (I'm an atheist and don't like an overwhelming religious feel/culture)

3) Salt Lake City: no walkability, drab, too conservative, too much religious influence (see above,) bizarre laws affecting nightlife

4) Anywhere in the Deep South (except Atlanta): Bible Belt mentality, no appeal

5) Las Vegas: I think living there would spoil the getaway aspect of it, away from the Strip/Downtown... too spread out, too suburban, lack of a diverse economy

With all of the mega churches in Atlanta but yet it has no religous influince ?? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
With all of the mega churches in Atlanta but yet it has no religous influince ?? lol
What's up with the Atlanta straw man arguments? Some cities have enough redeeming qualities for me to consider and you didn't mention other cities not on my personal list.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Birmingham
Jackson
Jacksonville
Detroit
Memphis

Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times
Cleveland
Detroit
Miami
LA
Portland

Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
1. Washington DC: Beautiful city, but too many *******s and the crime is not cool. The whole gang type mentality there needs to die and quickly.

2. Miami: Maybe if I was rich, but that city was so much different than what I expected.

3. New Orleans: I liked the city when I visited and I use to say I could live there, but now....I think not. Crime is really becoming bad there.

4. Anywhere near the border. Obvious reasons.

5. Northeast: I hate crowded, dense, and compact places.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM

187 posts, read 541,667 times
5 worst

1. L.A. - smog, traffic, sprawl, I just couldn't imagine living here
2. San Fransisco - expensive, hobos, drugs, weather
3. Anywhere in Texas - conservative, boring, just for being Texas, need I say more?
4. Detroit - I just don't see any opportunities. The economy is terrible, no jobs
5. Cleveland - cold, boring, crumbling infrastructure, declining population

If I didn't already live here, Miami would probably be here. I think that the only thing that allows me to tolerate this place is the culture and people. That's the reason why I think I'll keep coming back, not too many Cubans in other parts of the US >.<

and just for fun, 5 best

1. Boston - very liberal, college town, smart people, lots of history
2. New York - it's New York! everything you could ever want in a place to live
3. Portland - liberal, outdoors, very "green", looks fun
4. Anywhere in Hawaii - same weather as Miami, minus the *******s
5. Chicago - like New York, just smaller

Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
3. Anywhere in Texas - conservative, boring, just for being Texas, need I say more?
Yes.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:27 PM

187 posts, read 541,667 times
Lol sorry, I just wouldn't want to live there, doesn't mean it's a bad place

Old 01-10-2011, 03:54 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
5 worst
2. San Fransisco - expensive, hobos, drugs, weather

HAHA. I love you!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:56 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Lol sorry, I just wouldn't want to live there, doesn't mean it's a bad place
Have you ever been to Texas? If you have, where did you go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City