Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Number one metro in the South
Dallas-Fort Worth 17 23.61%
Greater Houston 27 37.50%
Metro Atlanta 20 27.78%
Neither (Then, post the name of the metro) 8 11.11%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Yes, cotton did help Dallas grow. We produced 1/3 percent of the USA's cotton and 31 percent of Texas' cotton. Then they found Petroleum near Dallas, we became the hub of Petroleum.

Arlington is not all that. I would rather live in Irving and Plano than Arlington.
lol, did I say you all didn't grow??
and what the heck is a hub of petroleum??

Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Then tell me who I supposedly "am"?
No one here is threatened by Atlanta...
It seems you took what I said personally, you must work for Delta Airlines then aka Podunk Airways. Yes, its true I haven't ever flown with Delta before; and I am just not interested in ever doing so. I don't support deep south airlines. I may think Fort Worth is redneck but its not in the deep south so American Airlines is Ok with me.
I drink Pepsi, its based here in Tristate area; I use USPS for mail service. I don't need to go to home depot... I don't own a single family sprawl house, but instead an all maintainence apartment that repairmen come and repair damages. I don't buy from podunk brands like "rubbermaid" and don't even know what a "scripto pen" even is.
You are saying that because it is in Atlanta. I am sure you have went to Home Depot and drunk Coca-Cola.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, did I say you all didn't grow??
and what the heck is a hub of petroleum??
Sorry, I mean Dallas became the hub of the market.

EDIT: We still had cotton fields in Dallas in the late 60s.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
You are saying that because it is in Atlanta. I am sure you have went to Home Depot and drunk Coca-Cola,
I like Dr Pepper better

Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I like Dr Pepper better
I do too. I don't drink alot of Coke. My favorite is A&W root beer.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 PM

818 posts, read 1,386,926 times
Quote:
You are saying that because it is in Atlanta. I am sure you have went to Home Depot and drunk Coca-Cola,
Oh ok now, so first I'm from some hicktown in SC, then the "crackhouses" of Cemden, NJ, then from "the cesspool" known as CC Philly, finally from the "universal dump known as Brooklyn" at first I was "Ghost" then I was "NJPhilliesPhan" after that I was "DailyJournalist" and now you're trying to tell me if I have ever been to a home depot before.
Do you know me? Hey genius lets think about this for a second here, I own an apartment; the apartment came furnished. I AM NOT A HOME OWNER, so what would I be doing at a home depot? Getting my redneck action on looking through 6-speed lawnmowers?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Wait! The number one in what: growth? shopping? jobs?

I'm sorry. It just hit me that there are no specifics to this question.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM

Htown, our bridge is almost finished.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Oh ok now, so first I'm from some hicktown in SC, then the "crackhouses" of Cemden, NJ, then from "the cesspool" known as CC Philly, finally from the "universal dump known as Brooklyn" at first I was "Ghost" then I was "NJPhilliesPhan" after that I was "DailyJournalist" and now you're trying to tell me if I have ever been to a home depot before. Do you know me? Hey genius lets think about this for a second here, I own an apartment; the apartment came furnished. I AM NOT A HOME OWNER, so what would I be doing at a home depot? Getting my redneck action on looking through 6-speed lawnmowers?
You don't have to own a home to go to Home Depot!!!!!!!!!! So when your sink breaks where will you go?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I mean Dallas became the hub of the market.

EDIT: We still had cotton fields in Dallas in the late 60s.
I don't know about Dallas, being the hub of oil, there were countless oil fields all over Texas.

Quote:
he Texas Oil Boom, sometimes called the Gusher Age, was a period of dramatic change and economic growth in U.S. State of Texas during the early 20th century that began with the discovery of a large petroleum reserve near Beaumont, Texas. The find was unprecedented in its size and ushered in an age of rapid regional development and industrialization that has few parallels in U.S. history. Texas quickly became one of the leading oil producing states in the U.S., along with Oklahoma and California; soon the nation overtook the Russian Empire as the top producer of petroleum. By 1940 Texas had come to dominate U.S. production. Some historians even define the beginning of the world's Oil Age as the beginning of this era in Texas.
The major petroleum strikes that began the rapid growth in petroleum exploration and speculation occurred in Southeast Texas, but soon reserves were found across Texas and wells were constructed in North Texas, East Texas, and the Permian Basin in West Texas. Although limited reserves of oil had been struck during the 19th century, the strike at Spindletop near Beaumont in 1901 gained national attention, spurring exploration and development that continued through the 1920s and beyond. Spindletop and the Joiner strike in East Texas, at the outset of the Great Depression, were the key strikes that launched this era of change in the state.
This period had a transformative effect on Texas. At the turn of the century, the state was predominantly rural with no large cities. By the end of World War II, the state was heavily industrialized, and the populations of Texas cities had broken into the top 20 nationally. The city of Houston was among the greatest beneficiaries of the boom, and the Houston area became home to the largest concentration of refineries and petrochemical plants in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City