Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Loop vs Financial District, Boston
Chicago Loop 62 76.54%
Financial District, Boston 19 23.46%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,689,062 times

Advertisements

Both are stellar cities, but who has the better downtown district? Chicago loop has the Chicago river running through it. Boston borders the Massachusetts Bay. Both skylines are beutiful.

Which downtown district has the richer skyline, entertainment, scenery, and history?

Last edited by knowledgeiskey; 01-24-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:35 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,069,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Which downtown district has the richer skyline
LOL Chicago, was this one in need to be asked basis?
Quote:
Which downtown district has the entertainment
TIE. Amazing cities, what more could you want?
Quote:
Which downtown district has the scenery
WHO CARES? We're talking about downtown's here right? This is serious business man, you cant be walking around on a busy day looking at tree's and stuff. Go out there and get professional!
Quote:
Which downtown district has the history?
LOL Boston, no need to even ask this one, just straight up Boston
Quote:
Both are stellar cities, but who has the better downtown district?
Chicago.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 PM

721 posts, read 1,796,032 times
Chicago wins everything except history fairly easily. Entertainment may be a bit closer, but I would still give it to Chicago. As far as scenery, downtown Chicago is stunning. I don't think the bay can come close to matching the lakefront and the river.

Sorry Tmac, it's just the way it is

Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,473,634 times
Quote:
Both are stellar cities, but who has the better downtown district? Chicago loop has the Chicago river running through it. Boston borders the Massachusetts Bay. Both skylines are beautiful.

Which downtown district has the richer skyline, entertainment, scenery, and history?
In terms of skyline, obviously Chicago crushes Boston haha.

I'm not sure about entertainment. I know Chicago has a great deal of entertainment in the core of the city...but what about the Loop itself? I've been to Chicago a couple times, but to be honest, when I was there I wasn't exactly mapping out where the Loop began and ended. Boston has tons of entertainment located downtown...I'm just gonna say tie.

Scenery, if we're ignoring the skyscrapers themselves it's probably a tie again. The beach on Lake Michigan is beautiful...but the Boston waterfront is amazing and so is the view from the Charles River...I say tie again.

Thanks

And my favorite view...gotta love Beacon Hill with the State Building on top.
Thanks

History? Boston.

Overall, I'd say they're pretty close to tied...though at first glance Chicago blows Boston out of the water from the amazing skyline (#3 in the world in my opinion).

It's ok Dncr. You're a cool dude so I can forgive you man. Later bro.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 01-25-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,581,889 times
There really aren't THAT many food and entertainment options within Chicago's Loop. On the weekend and after work hours there isn't all that much going on.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
There really aren't THAT many food and entertainment options within Chicago's Loop. On the weekend and after work hours there isn't all that much going on.
I think that would probably give Boston the edge if that's the case. Boston's Theater District is downtown, along with a huge number of Bars & Restaurants in/around the Faneuil Hall area. The TD Garden is also right next to downtown and is surrounded by a great deal of bars.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:30 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,963,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think that would probably give Boston the edge if that's the case. Boston's Theater District is downtown, along with a huge number of Bars & Restaurants in/around the Faneuil Hall area. The TD Garden is also right next to downtown and is surrounded by a great deal of bars.
Well, if you're including Boston's theater district and Faneuil Hall, you might as well include River North, River West, West Loop, and South Loop.

Strictly speaking, the direct comparison to the Loop is Post Office Square (and the few blocks directly adjacent). Both are essentially the heart of the financial district. The majority of the entertainment is adjacent to the financial districts, not in them.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 01-25-2011 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Well, if you're including Boston's theater district and Faneuil Hall, you might as well include River North, River West, West Loop, and South Loop.

Strictly speaking, the direct comparison to the Loop is Post Office Square (and the few blocks directly adjacent). Both are essentially the heart of the financial district. The majority of the entertainment is adjacent to the financial districts, not in them.
I don't know...that might be a bit of a stretch. You can walk from the heart of the Theater District to Faneuil Hall in about 10 minutes (maybe 15), with the entire Financial District between them. Are River North, River West, West Loop and South Loop that connected? I'm not really familiar with those areas.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 01-25-2011 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,963,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I don't know...that might be a bit of a stretch. You can walk from the heart of the Theater District to Faneuil Hall in about 10 minutes (maybe 15), with the entire Financial District between them. Is River North, River West, West Loop and South Loop that connected? I'm not really familiar with those areas.
Well, you have to take into account that Chicago is significantly bigger than Boston, so naturally, the CBD would be larger in Chicago.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Well, you have to take into account that Chicago is significantly bigger than Boston, so naturally, the CBD would be larger in Chicago.
Oh absolutely. I agree totally...but that can also work against Chicago. Since Boston's CBD footprint is much smaller, surrounding areas are more connected to downtown than a city like Chicago.

Example: I work in the John Hancock Tower in Back Bay. It's not part of the Theater District, but I often walk a few blocks with coworkers to get lunch right at the edge of the Theater District. They're technically not in the same neighborhood (Copley Square vs Theater District)...but they blend together perfectly.

This isn't to say Chicago doesn't offer the same. But Boston offers this in a smaller area. I suppose it's a perfect way to say "it's not the size of the boat, it's the motion in the ocean" haha. Chicago's boat is bigger, but Boston's got a lot going on in its small ocean. Again, Chicago offers just as much if not more than Boston in terms of amenities, etc...but it does so over a much larger area.

I feel like DC suffers from the same problem (though it sounds like Chicago's Loop area has much more mixed-use than DC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City