Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times

Advertisements

I was looking around for the Z/Yen Global Financial Centres Index 13, since it comes out in March and September. The March version isn't out yet, but they did release an abbreviated ranking (Called GFCI 12.5), which simply shows a ranking of cities without any details...per usual, there are five American cities, but now their rankings have changed:

GFCI 12:
2. New York City
8. Chicago
11. Boston
12. San Francisco
14. Washington DC

GFCI 12.5:

2. New York City
7. Boston
12. Chicago
14. San Francisco
16. Washington DC

Source

Before we go too far, we'll see what the actual rankings are in the GFCI 13 in the next week or so...but this is still interesting nonetheless. As a native Bostonian, I'm obviously happy to see the city doing so well, but SF did a similar move a couple of rankings ago and then dropped right back to where it was prior to that, so I'm saving the fireworks for now, even if I'm happy to see it move into the Top 10 in the world and #2 in USA/North America.

What really shocks me is Chicago. Not only has it dropped from second to fourth in North America, but it has dropped out of the Top 10 in the world since the creation of this index six years ago. As someone who loves Chicago, I hope this is a temporary set back...but what do you guys think? With the continuous decline of the American Midwest and Chicago's prize-pig (agriculture) growing rapidly outside of the country--especially in developing nations like India, China, and Brasil--could this be Chicago's new "norm"? I sincerely hope not, since I feel like it's too big and great of a city to lose its elite financial status...

But enough from me...what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Vancouver is the primary financial centre of the west coast?

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-08-2013 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: huh?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I admit, I wouldn't have thought it would be...but I'll wait to see their reasoning before passing judgement.

What's with all the hashtags? I admit I haven't been coming on here very often anymore, but every post of yours I've seen recently seems to be followed by them...

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-08-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Lmao, i wish i could rep you on this one but i got to spread it around more

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-08-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
This is what the list is based on:

"The ranking is an aggregate of indices from five key areas: people, business environment, market access, infrastructure and general competitiveness.

It's interesting that Chicago dropped but this isn't really a power ranking. That's why Boston can rank so high and Paris so low.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 PM

Read through GFCI 12...you can see there are dozens of various criteria which go into the rankings.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I was looking around for the Z/Yen Global Financial Centres Index 13, since it comes out in March and September. The March version isn't out yet, but they did release an abbreviated ranking (Called GFCI 12.5), which simply shows a ranking of cities without any details...per usual, there are five American cities, but now their rankings have changed:

GFCI 12:
2. New York City
8. Chicago
11. Boston
12. San Francisco
14. Washington DC

GFCI 12.5:

2. New York City
7. Boston
12. Chicago
14. San Francisco
16. Washington DC

Source

Before we go too far, we'll see what the actual rankings are in the GFCI 13 in the next week or so...but this is still interesting nonetheless. As a native Bostonian, I'm obviously happy to see the city doing so well, but SF did a similar move a couple of rankings ago and then dropped right back to where it was prior to that, so I'm saving the fireworks for now, even if I'm happy to see it move into the Top 10 in the world and #2 in USA/North America.

What really shocks me is Chicago. Not only has it dropped from second to fourth in North America, but it has dropped out of the Top 10 in the world since the creation of this index six years ago. As someone who loves Chicago, I hope this is a temporary set back...but what do you guys think? With the continuous decline of the American Midwest and Chicago's prize-pig (agriculture) growing rapidly outside of the country--especially in developing nations like India, China, and Brasil--could this be Chicago's new "norm"? I sincerely hope not, since I feel like it's too big and great of a city to lose its elite financial status...

But enough from me...what do you guys think?
I predicted the Fall of Chicago would be coming for the past 2 years. I also predicted it would be a slow and painful process. Like Detroit and what that city went through from the 60s too today.
Turns out the evidence supports my claim.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM

465 posts, read 872,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
II hope this is a temporary set back...but what do you guys think? With the continuous decline of the American Midwest and Chicago's prize-pig (agriculture) growing rapidly outside of the country--especially in developing nations like India, China, and Brasil--could this be Chicago's new "norm"? I sincerely hope not, since I feel like it's too big and great of a city to lose its elite financial status...
No offense, but Chicago has never had "elite financial status".

I'm not familiar with this ranking, but I used to work in Investment Banking, and then a bit in Private Equity, and Chicago isn't really a global financial player. It has always been around the same general level as Boston and San Francisco, which is to say fairly important, but not really a global powerhouse filled with major players.

The three cities (Chicago, Boston and SF) have different relative strengths, with Chicago famous for derivatives, Boston for mutual funds, and SF for venture capital.

Last edited by JMT; 03-19-2013 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Only North American cities are to be discussed in the city vs. city forum.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
I find it funny that people see one little list of Chicago being ranked lower and assume its declining, going into the crapper, or whatever....people are so easily swayed lol.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:51 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I predicted the Fall of Chicago would be coming for the past 2 years. I also predicted it would be a slow and painful process. Like Detroit and what that city went through from the 60s too today.
Turns out the evidence supports my claim.
OMG a not-yet-even-finalized ranking lowered the spots of Chicago (and SF and DC) in a global financial center index by giving *6 more points* to Chicago than it gave last year, while also being very heavy-handed with more points to several emerging markets in Asia and South America. Hold the presses. 'Merica's in decline. What. An. Observation.

Really.

Applause are necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City