Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:43 PM

205 posts, read 298,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually Michelin is not up to the task. They lacked the resources in 2010 to do Las Vegas and LA and don't do the rest of the country.

Michelin is a very good guide to cuisine raised to the highest idiot level...and not much else.

Las Vegas cuisine cleans the clock of all the US cities with perhaps an exception for NYC. SF is a great food city in its own mind...but that view likely does not reach to those who live outside it.

Nope, LA was dropped because it's "not a food city" according to Michelin.

Don't know about Las Vegas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
Nope, LA was dropped because it's "not a food city" according to Michelin.

Don't know about Las Vegas...
Garbage...see...

Michelin: Bad economy means no 2010 guide in Las Vegas - Culture and Entertainment - Las Vegas Sun

Michelin lies and then lies some more. See the book by the Michelin inspector. The belief that they provide some insight is simply the fantasy of various social climbers who believe food must be pronounced in the french way or second class.

There are few things in life better than a properly aged Kansas City steak eaten in the stockyards...or oysters broiled on a grill anywhere in the north east...

Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 PM

Hmmm interesting

Michelin Guide Director: People in LA "Are Not Real Foodies" : Below the Belt : Eater LA

Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
They ceased publishing guides in Los Angeles and Las Vegas because sales were poor, and, sniffed Naret, "the people in Los Angeles are not real foodies. They are not too interested in eating well but just in who goes to which restaurant and where they sit." [LEFT]
Read more: Jean-Luc Naret on Michelin Guide New York 2011 - Jean Luc Naret Interview - Esquire

[/LEFT]

Old 01-29-2011, 08:47 PM

And OP since you're doing metro areas for everywhere else, greater NYC has 49.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
We could've done without the pictures.
Exactly! That was overkill.

Really cool to see Dallas and San Antonio ranking so high.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
I will admit the comments on the link cited have to be one of the better trips of our time...There will always be an LA and it is "different".

On the other hand it is clear that pretty much no one in the west gave a damn what Michelin thought and would not pony up for the Guide.

So no more Guide Michelin outside of the lunatic fringe USA.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I will admit the comments on the link cited have to be one of the better trips of our time...There will always be an LA and it is "different".

On the other hand it is clear that pretty much no one in the west gave a damn what Michelin thought and would not pony up for the Guide.

So no more Guide Michelin outside of the lunatic fringe USA.
People in the bay have them... I know people in Chicago have the guides too, not just Michelin, but BYOB guides, Wine, Zagat, etc... I just go over to somebodies house or somebodies desk at the office and I see them. They will sell no worries. Why? Because these cities are foodie cities. Las Vegas has good restaurants but they are all on the strip and the people patronizing them are tourists.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
They ceased publishing guides in Los Angeles and Las Vegas because sales were poor, and, sniffed Naret, "the people in Los Angeles are not real foodies. They are not too interested in eating well but just in who goes to which restaurant and where they sit." [LEFT]
Read more: Jean-Luc Naret on Michelin Guide New York 2011 - Jean Luc Naret Interview - Esquire

[/LEFT]
But if people in L.A. are so focused on being seen at the "right" places, then shouldn't sales have been through the roof since all the shallow people in SoCal want to eat where its cool to?

Seems pretty contradictory to me. The fact that sales were poor says more to the fact that people in L.A. actually don't give a damn about eating at the "right" places where people "should" eat and would rather just dine wherever the hell they want.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
But if people in L.A. are so focused on being seen at the "right" places, then shouldn't sales have been through the roof since all the shallow people in SoCal want to eat where its cool to?

Seems pretty contradictory to me. The fact that sales were poor says more to the fact that people in L.A. actually don't give a damn about eating at the "right" places where people "should" eat and would rather just dine wherever the hell they want.
Nah the fine cuisines aren't necessarily the "hot" places to go. They are judging based on food excellence, not how hip or cool some place is. I mean a lot of places where the food is excellent, the dining scene is rather stuffy. The food in LA is great though, no worries. I just don't think they have been doing the "high end" cuisine as much as other cities as of late. Why this is, I am not sure, but the guy from Michelin stating that isn't a revelation this has been going on for quite awhile, probably since the sell out of Wolfgang Puck LoL. I think instead of opening restaurants, he is now into acting...opening sub par restaurants in Tulsa, and staring as the Chef Smurf in the upcoming Smurfs 3D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City