Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami vs. Orlando
Miami 64 46.72%
Orlando 38 27.74%
Just for vacationing is ok, but heck no I'm not going to live in neither of them (Orlando, Miami) 35 25.55%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:37 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times

Advertisements

Pine Hills is comprised of majority subsidized living? Huh

There are no public housing in Pine Hills. In fact, I don't think there are any public housing in Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 10:41 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
HA! You should really quit speaking man because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Welcome to the Orlando Housing Authority
Welcome to the Orlando Housing Authority
Orlando FL Affordable Housing | Affordable Housing in Orlando | Orlando Low Income Housing | Orlando Section 8 Housing | PublicHousing.com

Old 01-29-2011, 10:42 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
this hard but i vote for miami. acess to south beach and it feels and looks more urban.

But i have been to orlando and like it to. Plus i hear its more diverse their and its not like Miami where Cubans are stereotyped as racist.

But i can care less what someone thinks about me so i picked Miami.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:49 PM

Orlando is a city I don't like. However, I would not say that the majority of the people there are living in poverty because that is not true at all.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:54 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
I prefer Orlando, although Miami rocks. Orlando has a lifestyle I far prefer and a larger variety of stuff to do. We've got beaches nearby, great shopping, nightlife, lakes, rivers, better music scene, better shows like Blue Man & Cirque, Florida's only five diamond restaurant, and world renowned theme parks to push it over the top. Sure Miami is a better party overall, but lets say that's not your thing, Orlando easily could win.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 AM

Orlando doesn't have a larger variety to do by a long shot

NFL? Miami
NHL? Miami
MLB? Miami
Nascar? Miami
Art Galleries? Miami
Performing Arts? Available in both but better in Miami
Restaurants? Available in both but better in Orlando
Theme Parks? Orlando
Shopping? Available in both but better in Miami
Beaches? Miami
Lakes? Available in both but better in Orlando
Hunting/Camping? Available in both but better in Orlando

There's only 1 thing Orlando has that Miami doesn't and that's the theme parks. Orlando doesn't have all the major league sports teams. Orlando doesn't have any art galleries or an art district worth mentioning aside from the very small Tiffany Museum. Orlando's performing arts consists of an extremely dated Bob Carr and a minuscule Orlando PAC. Permanent Blue Man Group and Cirque Soleil don't make up for the fact every touring show in the nation will go to Miami including Cirque Soleil (which is also trying to get a permanent spot in Miami) vs the much smaller number that will stop in on Orlando.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Miami is the better city imo. Orlando is of course the better family vacation spot

Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Orlando doesn't have a larger variety to do by a long shot

NFL? Miami
NHL? Miami
MLB? Miami
Nascar? Miami
Art Galleries? Miami
Performing Arts? Available in both but better in Miami
Restaurants? Available in both but better in Orlando
Theme Parks? Orlando
Shopping? Available in both but better in Miami
Beaches? Miami
Lakes? Available in both but better in Orlando
Hunting/Camping? Available in both but better in Orlando

There's only 1 thing Orlando has that Miami doesn't and that's the theme parks. Orlando doesn't have all the major league sports teams. Orlando doesn't have any art galleries or an art district worth mentioning aside from the very small Tiffany Museum. Orlando's performing arts consists of an extremely dated Bob Carr and a minuscule Orlando PAC. Permanent Blue Man Group and Cirque Soleil don't make up for the fact every touring show in the nation will go to Miami including Cirque Soleil (which is also trying to get a permanent spot in Miami) vs the much smaller number that will stop in on Orlando.
What happened to you? You used to be an Orlando supporter, now your an Orlando basher. You must of moved

Anyways when it comes to city proper I would much rather live in the city of Orlando than the city of Miami. The city of Miami outside of a few small areas is really like a 3rd world country and English isn't even spoken in a lot of areas. Even in Orlandos majority puerto rican areas you can get around fine only knowing English. Miami's weather is worse than Orlandos IMO, Miami is secluded. Orlando feels more like a traditional American city, and that's saying something about Miami because Orlando is a very un traditional American city. I like the population in Orlando better, I like the vimi area of downtown, Thornton park, winter park, delaney park, orange ave, amway center, both coast about an hour away, the hills to the west, the lakes, the springs, Ucf, the tourist attractions, the shopping/dinning, the nightlife, etc. I can really care less about income levels as long as I'm living with a good income without feeling out of place. There's a lot of people with money in Orlando. Atleast the people I know.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:15 AM

I've never been an Orlando supporter. I am unbiased in most cases and will always give the honest view of Orlando and all places. I only support Orlando when its compared to places I consider even ****tier like San Antonio or Cincinnati. Or if its about Food, Tourism, or Name Recognition I'll give Orlando its dues. But overall quality of life in Orlando is terrible, its public transit is non existent, it has no class, its behind in the times, the school systems are less than wonderful, and there is absolutely a growing issue with gentrification.

I said the only reason to prefer Orlando is if you prefer the culture because you are right Miami is not traditional American culture - far from it. If you don't get it and feel out of place there because you're use to suburban wherever (any traditional American suburbs) than Miami might not be right for you.

I've lived in 3rd world countries, real 3rd world countries. Miami is far from a 3rd world country. This is a 3rd world country:

This is Miami, one of the most important cities financially and culturally in the nation:

And I'll tell you this that top picture is not some rural part of the country. Its the main street in the capital city.

As far as quality of life is concerned with all personal preference for American culture vs Latin culture aside you will have a higher quality of life in Miami its as simple as that.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Gentrification in Orlando? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City