Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Char-Lanta Come Close to The Bos-Wash?
Yes 24 11.48%
Hell no!!!! 185 88.52%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,901,881 times

Advertisements

If it does, poor South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,531,795 times
HELL naw, it cant even compete with the Baltimore-Washington CSA. Hell NoVa alone crushes "Charlanta".

Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
There's a lotta Charlanta threads. I live in this ... ummm ...region, and seriously. Nobody calls it that, apart from C-D, and handfuls of dudes at Ga Tech and UNC who are trying to yank a thesis together.

First off, if it's going to be a real megalopolis, which will not be in 10 years, gotta get a better name than that. If you drive down I-85 through upstate South Carolina, ALL you really see is billboards that read "Jesus Saves," "Fireworks," and "Peaches" - so maybe it should be something along those lines, if SC doesn't use that as a state slogan (Jesus Saves Fireworks & Peaches) across the bottom of their next batch of visually pleasing license plates.

Charlanta sounds like the ex-girlfriend of a heterosexual male hairdresser who was friends with a couple I knew in college. The hairdresser in question looked like a member of Def Leppard, and had dated this woman who was an aspiring model/stripper-type - she was introduced to me as Charlotte...."But please - call me Char." It was supposed to sound like shar, but all I could think about was some sort of barbecue grill mishap, not a good image for an aspiring model to cultivate. She was also dumb as a box of rocks, and thus never picked up on the fact that the rest of us kept calling her Char (as in ... barbecue grill mishap).

That's why we need to abandon this whole Charlanta thing. It sounds like a stripper, and a really stupid stripper at that.

Boswash, by the way, sounds like something you do to apartment carpeting after really skanky people move out (i.e., get evicted), so I don't know how respectable of a name that is either.

Chipitts is a hippie deodorant made from polarized crystals and strange, obscure vegetables. Suffice to say - ineffective.

Sansan is a cute anime character, and somewhere in the center of the Texas Triangle, you'll find Area 51: UFO's, disgruntled waitresses experimented upon by Martians, the works...
Hilarious +1

Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,976,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Htown I couldn't agree with you more. I am real disappointed in the movement in the Southeast corridor the past few years. It Seems like the gains the previous few decades has been lost in the past few years. Not to mention other areas, like Cascadia, TT, and BosWash among others have been working economic improvement. The PAM not so much. Although Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, and Atlanta individually have made some improvements.

Yeah those three should bounce back in the next couple of years.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 AM

148 posts, read 277,201 times
Interesting how Bos-Wash is incredibly walkable and has tons of intra-city transportation as gas costs and traffic increase.

Who wants to drive 2 hours to work in 100-degree weather? Not me.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 AM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Who wants to drive 2 hours to work in 100-degree weather? Not me.
Who's doing that now?

Old 07-08-2013, 12:03 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
In the last decade, Char-Lanta has seen its population boom. The region is doing the best in the Sunbelt economically. Its economy is diverse and doesn't rely on real estate and construction like most area of the Sunbelt do. There are plenty of tech companies that have set up shop in the region. Charlotte has a strong financial industry. Atlanta is doing relatively well also compared to the rest of the Sunbelt.

Bos-Wash has the biggest economic output. It holds plenty of industries. There is no need for explanation of its make up.

Do you think Char-Lanta will compete with the Bos-Wash in income, innovation, and economic output in the next 10 years?
The Char-what?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:06 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,311,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The Char-what?
Charlatan, stems from the name of the two largest metropolitan areas in the region. It's a catchy name. A more appropriate name would be the Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion. With most of these regions there exist smaller megapolitan areas. BosWash can be seen as three separate megapolitan areas of Baltimore-DMV(Chesapeake), Phily-New York(megalopolis), and Boston(New England). PAM can be seen as two Charlotte-Raleigh/Durham (Carolina Piedmont includes Triad and Upstate) and Atlanta-Chattanooga(Georgia Piedmont). I think viewing megaregions in this manner sheds better light on these regions across the nation.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:13 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,011,237 times
I don't even think the entire South can compete with the Bos-Wash Megaregion. Comparing the Charlatan region with the Bos-Wash region is like having a german shepherd fight a grizzly bear. You already know the outcome before the match even starts.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,221,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't even think the entire South can compete with the Bos-Wash Megaregion. Comparing the Charlatan region with the Bos-Wash region is like having a german shepherd fight a grizzly bear. You already know the outcome before the match even starts.
Right? How is Charlotte even in this? No offense to it at all, but it's all so random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City