Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tucson or Portland
Tucson 19 50.00%
Portland 19 50.00%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 PM

461 posts, read 861,320 times

Advertisements

I have narrowed it down to two places to live and start my life anew. I have to decide where I want to move in the next 20 days!!

--Moving from KY. I will have a job at both places for about $47K in Tucson and $48K in Portland!
--I will be at either place for 3 years!!** So even if I absolutely hate it, I will grit my teeth and bear it. <-----I would like to avoid that and perhaps make lasting connections in either place.**
--I am 27, RECENTLY single, with an ex who is moving to Portland (a little awkward, but I have to look out for my career and don't care if she is moving there).
--I have friends in Tucson and have been there many times. Been to Tucson in the summer...was brutal, but my friends car did not have A/C neither did his house. I have only been to Portland once (Dec 2010) and stayed there for 4-5 days. I did get a pretty good idea of the town, but limited scope of the weather. I made it out to Mt. Hood and the gorge...was stunned at both.
--**I am starting my life after school, SINGLE, first time in a salaried position. I am prepared to have a good attitude and am very friendly and inviting. I am open to new experiences and new people. I am in the process of growing up and have been learning much. I am in no rush to get into a relationship, but signs of hope are appreciated...a city with educated women would be nice..lol **

(excuse the PDX shorthand for Portland )

PORTLAND:
I feel like Portland is a better city than Tucson. It seems to have more educated folks, more access to nature, great public transport, bigger population, and more access to cultural events such as the ballet, music in general, etc. It has nice pockets of neighborhoods. Incredibly lively downtown. Lush lush lush and perfect summers. Great restaurants and microbreweries. I think I could spend about $700-1000 there for a nice cozy apt. with great amenities (new appliances, washer/dryer/etc).
Things I could learn while in Portland - Hiking, camping, river stuff...white water rafting/fishing, etc.
Portland is also only 2-3 hours away from Seattle...a nice megapolis.
I would definitely move to Portland except for these concerns that I had and some are brought up/complained about on the boards.
====Concerns:====
- Weather - of course...I am a SAD sufferer for sure. This may be overcome by my love of vegetation and scenery. I was blown away by the gorge. I would definitely miss the sun outside of the summer. I think my ideal weather is San Diego (now that I think of it, SD weather in PDX would be great! lol but I digress) I like to play tennis and soccer. I would like to run outside. These activities seem like they would be inhibited.
- Homeless - Not an issue for me. I will be in health care and treating a lot of the homeless.
- Economy - Not an issue. I am guaranteed a job for the next 3 years.
- Crime - I think I can live in a decent part of town and not have to worry about crime with my salary
- Lack of diversity - would be missing out on the mexicano culture in Portland. Not much diversity there.
- Career Opportunities - Tucson would probably put me in a better place for career placement 3 years from now. However, I am not at a huge disadvantage with Portland and will have made many connections there for jobs. But Tucson would open up more doors like I mentioned.

TUCSON:
Though not as progressive and eclectic as PDX, Tucson has its own charm of cowboy culture meets resort town and snowbird mecca. Set in the craggily desert basin of the Catalinas, it has 300+ days of sunshine. I could play soccer, tennis, golf, and run outside pretty much everyday. It is primarily centered around UofA and not much cultural activities are abound. I can enjoy the warm weather/lack of snow, Sonoran food, and perhaps swimming. I feel like $700-1000 apt in Tucson would push me out of the "core" (being UofA/Sam Hughes/Downtown) area and would give me a bland suburbian apartment. Some character in the housing would be nice (modern/hip, rustic, etc)...A/C would be a must.
My future career prospects are a bit better coming from my job in Tucson are a bit better!
Tucson is only 2 hrs from Phoenix (a city I am not really fond of) but would be fun to go to a concert, Suns/Diamondbacks game.
Things I could learn in Tucson - Spanish, Horse back riding, golf, and indoor gardening (mentioned below)
====Concerns:====
- Water and Vegetation - I know I will miss both. Not that I would get on the river in my city...or ever have, but I like dew on grass, wet trees, and little lakes. I know Tucson lacks this as it is in the desert. I want to know how many have moved out just because they couldn't deal with the environment. As mentioned above, even if I don't fall in love with the desert surroundings, I could convince myself of the beauty otherwise. One of my biggest hobbies I suspect will be maintaining a house full of plants.
- Weather - I think I will be OK in tolerating the weather. I will be moving in late June and will be there for the brutal months of July and August. Things should get better after that and I think I will be just fine in the winter wearing a fleece in the morning and nothing in the afternoons. I will just have to adjust my schedule for things in the summer (late night tennis, running, soccer, etc.) Does anyone ever get bugged out by the extreme amount of sunshine here? Ever want a few cloudy days? Or does the monsoon season suffice?
- Crime - I think I will live in an OK neighborhood with my budget and don't mess with drugs/criminal activity, so I suspect I will be ok.
- Isolation - I think I will be ok with flying to SD once in a while and going to Puerto Penasco a few times. I would not be adversed to that. I think I will be OK with that.

Given my situation with career, a failed romance, need for something new, get away from parents, establishing independence, need for an adventure, passion to learn <---------NEED FOR A NEW LIFE.

I am leaning towards Tucson....but feel as though I am going to waste my late SINGLE 20s in a slow paced conservative desert town instead of a more well established green liberal city. But then again my career opportunities may be more viable through Tucson due to the University.

I am lucky to even have a job in this economic climate, and very lucky to even have the option of moving. I know this is just a forum, but it is good to get perspectives from everyone!
I would appreciate the perspectives on what will set my trajectory for a while!

Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 03:11 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,029 times
Dude, in terms of cities, Portland is superior in every way.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Dude, in terms of cities, Portland is superior in every way.
But weather and career....

Old 01-31-2011, 03:49 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
But weather and career....
Well, only you can answer those. Do you like it hot and dry, or mild and moist? As far as career, it comes down to you.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Well, only you can answer those. Do you like it hot and dry, or mild and moist? As far as career, it comes down to you.
Hot and Dry with constant sunshine vs. Mild and Moist with almost constant cloud cover

Such a hard choice...

Old 01-31-2011, 04:40 PM

292 posts, read 752,438 times
I would choose Portland, hands down. I lived in Tucson for 5 years, and have spent a lot of time in Portland. Portland offers a much better urban environment, better overall restaurants and nightlife, and a lot more cultural opportunities. Eugune is a couple hours away, Bend/Sisters (much sunnier climate, great outdoor recreation) is 3 hours away, and Seattle - which offers more of a big city feel - is only 3 hours away. Overall, I think Oregon is a more interesting state than Arizona.

I love the desert and Tucson has some great outdoor recreation opportunities as well, such as Mt. Lemon and Sabino Canyon, but the city itself, outside of a few small pockets, is mostly made up of large 8 lane roads and strip malls.

I think Portland is worth it, even considering the weather (Portland has amazing summers) and your career opportunities.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
I would choose Portland, hands down. I lived in Tucson for 5 years, and have spent a lot of time in Portland. Portland offers a much better urban environment, better overall restaurants and nightlife, and a lot more cultural opportunities. Eugune is a couple hours away, Bend/Sisters (much sunnier climate, great outdoor recreation) is 3 hours away, and Seattle - which offers more of a big city feel - is only 3 hours away. Overall, I think Oregon is a more interesting state than Arizona.

I love the desert and Tucson has some great outdoor recreation opportunities as well, such as Mt. Lemon and Sabino Canyon, but the city itself, outside of a few small pockets, is mostly made up of large 8 lane roads and strip malls.

I think Portland is worth it, even considering the weather (Portland has amazing summers) and your career opportunities.
You make some interesting points.
Yes, I am sure Portland does have a better lifestyle. But what about getting my resume together these next 3 years and then perhaps moving to PDX if I absolutely hate Tucson?

I know that PDX is a better city...I am just wondering if there was anything else just crappy about PDX so that I can convince myself to go to Tucson.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 PM

292 posts, read 752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
You make some interesting points.
Yes, I am sure Portland does have a better lifestyle. But what about getting my resume together these next 3 years and then perhaps moving to PDX if I absolutely hate Tucson?

I know that PDX is a better city...I am just wondering if there was anything else just crappy about PDX so that I can convince myself to go to Tucson.
Well, I guess you could say Portland is snootier and more uptight that Tucson, but, well...I think this article says it better than I can:

The Tucson shootings and Arizona's dangerous culture of isolation

Your soul will be much happier in Portland. Thats the most important thing...

Old 01-31-2011, 06:52 PM

48 posts, read 188,485 times
Default Portland

Portland has so much that it's hard to beat. Really, if it weren't for the weather it would be perfect. You say you're in the medical field? OHSU is in Portland, and it's a major medical education center (locals call it pill hill). Tons of concerts, pubs/microbreweries, shopping, restaurants, sports such as Trailblazers and Timbers (MLS), Beavers and Ducks of the PAC 10 nearby as well (easy drive). You'll find beaches, mountains and if you go far enough up the columbia gorge you'll find Oregon's desert.

I lived in Arizona briefly (phoenix) and couldn't wait to leave. If you're a lover of freeway culture and mini malls, then Arizona is for you. Additionally, the monsoon season is very extreme, with Pima County getting it much worse than the phoenix area. There are plenty of afternoons in the summertime where they advise you don't even go outside and the tv warning goes off telling you to seek shelter. Look up storms down there on you tube. Its amazing!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 PM

364 posts, read 496,388 times
Portland is a better city with more events and amenities. I know many SAD sufferers use sun lamps at home. Tucson is not conservative, at least IMO. You will find some very conservative ideas, but also many liberal people.

Portland and Tucson are both accepting cities. It would be a tough choice for me. I do not like cold, but neither do I like the lack of greenery in TUS nor the lack of water.

I'm in TUS now and came from TN where the vegetation is similar to KY. I am also liberal and think that you would feel more at home in PDX. My wife does not believe she can handle the weather there, or it would be high on my list for relocation.

Advantages for TUS for me would be weather and proximity to other things. In KY you can get many places fairly quickly. In PDX it seems somewhat isolated to me beyond the immediate area and Seattle. Tucson seems better in that regard with Phoenix within 1.5-2hrs, SD 5.5hrs, LA 6.5hrs, Vegas 7hrs. All those would have flights less than 1.5 hours.

Coming from TN, I loved road tripping and could be in numerous places within an easy drive from NYC to Orlando to NOLA and any place in between on the coast, the deep south, and some of the midwest. Nothing out west offers the same mobility, but the PNW seems extremely isolated from the rest of the country, if that matters to you at all.

All in all. I would choose PDX for its culture, lifestyle, public transport, politics, lowest west coast COL, and natural setting. No matter what you choose you will be mobile and able to choose something else after residency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City