Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:33 PM

83 posts, read 99,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Most pleasant surprises:

Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Tucson, Milwaukee, Providence, Asheville, Denver, Kansas City.

Biggest disappointments:

Austin, Vancouver, Portland, Chicago, Nashville, Chicago, Kansas City.
Chicago must have sucked for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 02:44 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Houston - Oil and Gas, over and over and over. Yawn. The place is one match strike from blowing off the face of the earth.
Did you only visit the refineries along the ship channel? Or maybe just the hellish East side burbs like Channelview and Deer Park?

If all you got from Houston was "oil and gas, over and over and over", then you obviously didn't see much of the city.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:21 PM

14 posts, read 33,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Most pleasant surprises:

Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Tucson, Milwaukee, Providence, Asheville, Denver, Kansas City.

Biggest disappointments:

Austin, Vancouver, Portland, Chicago, Nashville, Chicago, Kansas City.
You put Kansas city in both lists.....You speaking of KCMO vs KCK?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
I dont agree with many of these posts, I wonder if people actually visit the cities they are describing, the experiences I have had in many of these cities is nothing like described, makes you wonder if people actually make up stuff on here just saying. Another thing no way in the world NYC is over rated, its probably my favorite city on earth to visit and Austin, TX is amazing and everyone on here calls it over rated, they have some of nicest people I ever met in my life in that city and same with Nashville.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:43 PM

14 posts, read 33,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I dont agree with many of these posts, I wonder if people actually visit the cities they are describing, the experiences I have had in many of these cities is nothing like described, makes you wonder if people actually make up stuff on here just saying. Another thing no way in the world NYC is over rated, its probably my favorite city on earth to visit and Austin, TX is amazing and everyone on here calls it over rated, they have some of nicest people I ever met in my life in that city and same with Nashville.
This may be true in some cases but absolutely not in mine. I've spent plenty of time in Austin as i live 3 hours away and have many friends there. I have plenty of reasons for thinking it is overrated. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but why do you have to assert that people are lying just because it is in opposition to your view? That's ridiculous. And about NYC.....maybe you didn't read what I actually said.....i never said NYC is not a good city or anything negative about it. But it certainly was a bit of disappointment in contrast to the way I had envisioned it through out my life until going for the first time. It is the most popular city in the world....movies, books, photography, etc are all heavily set in NYC. Seeing all of this for years and dreaming of going and finally getting to and then getting there and it isn't quite what you'd expected can be a disappointing thing. Stating this fact doesn't mean I'm bashing the city. Now that I've grown up and been back a few times, it is no longer a disappointment as I have a much more realistic perception of it.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:17 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiUAE View Post
Chicago must have sucked for you.
I loved it a lot 15-25 years ago. It changed. And so did I.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:18 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccamp82 View Post
You put Kansas city in both lists.....You speaking of KCMO vs KCK?
Nope. Just a love/hate relationship. KC is both uniquely lovable and profoundly disappointing.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:50 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post

then you obviously didn't see much of the city.
Apparently "Who Cares, USA" is a suburb of Houston.

You could make the "you didn't see much of the city" argument for every disappointment on this thread. Obviously the lists are subjective. Go with it.

If you read my post than you'll notice I'm not a fan of NOLA either. I simply find that entire part of the country flat, hot and geographically boring.

Been to Houston many times and always stay downtown. I have several friends that live there who tell me they love the place, but it would never work for me.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:13 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Disappointing:

San Diego, Denver, Chicago, the entire east coast

Surprising: Portland, Las Vegas, Sacramento,

Old 01-18-2015, 12:32 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
^^ lol. I'm sure you've been to every city on the entire East Coast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City