Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 09:17 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
So, that person judged a city by their own expectations.
Yes. That's my understanding. I look at it like this. I hear and read stuff about other's opinions about various things, but I evaluate those opinions by whether or not what they like/dislike is something that's important to me.

As an example, I've never been to Pittsburgh, but I know that it always does really well in those best places to live type surveys. I've read that many people that left would have stayed had there been better job opportunities. Lots of people like it. But I'm not a winter person nor a huge fan of smaller "big cities". I also prefer a city with lots of and a variety of entertainment options. I also appreciate the experiences (mostly food) that come with having a very diverse population. Based on all of this, my expectations would be low so if I visit and find out that I like it, then I would be pleasantly surprised regardless of how others may already view the city.

This happened in real life when I visited Cleveland. I wouldn't move there, but I liked it more than I expected. I also visited Seattle and liked it less than I expected. Overall I still like Seattle quite a bit more and could live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 10:59 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
On my current excursion through Illinois:

Disappointing: Springfield. It looked pretty run-down outside the downtown and the Leland Grove/Williams Blvd area on the west side --- terrible streets, empty lots, houses falling apart, broken glass everywhere. Even the downtown looked very stuck in the '70s, I was expecting something a bit more modern from the capital of an important state.

Pleasantly Surprising: Peoria. There were some surprisingly cool, walkable neighborhoods, like the West Main area around Bradley University and the Main/Sheridan area (including a great LGBTQ+ bookstore). The suburbs just looked like average American suburbia --- not exactly "impressive" but I was expecting something much more dilapidated.

Disappointing/Pleasantly Surprising: Champaign. I thought the high-rise Campustown neighborhood looked a lot more artificial, unattractive, and small in real life than on streetview. However, Champaign's actual downtown was nice, with some cool patios converted from alleyways and great retro coffeehouses.
I agree/disagree with this. Springfield, IL has the Lincoln Museum which is outstanding, and I found the Lincoln District to be interesting as well. Yes, some run down areas, but some nice as well. Not sure what I expected, to be honest.

Peoria, IL has to be one of the most surprisingly underrated towns in America. Nice downtown, nice neighborhoods, hilly with views of the Illinois River and some really great restaurants you think you would find in a larger city. Caterpillar money affluent.

Champaign, IL to me was surprising nice, another surprise, and the U of Illinois campus lovely. I actually disagree on Campus Town, it is more big city than almost any small town I have ever been to with luxury highrises built for an affluent Chinese student population. The suburban/urban area where the professors live in Urbana,IL with brick streets and stately houses looked like it was yanked from Chicago's north shore.

Old 09-05-2021, 05:21 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Vancouver, BC was such a picturesque, cosmopolitan, and diverse city. Loved it when I visited there. San Jose- just had a great time when I visited. Weather was amazing. Went to some nice restaurants, and went to this upscale outdoor restaurant/bar for a happy hour which I'll never forget.

Disappointing cities for me would have to be: Miami (brutal heat and humidity each time I've been, and just not a huge fan of the downtown nightlife or the beach areas); Denver (was downtown and when to a few places, but it wasn't what I expected); Cincinnati and Louisville (felt very similar to me; downtowns were not very clean or vibrant like many larger cities I'm used to; some areas of downtown felt desolate and unsafe); San Francisco- kind of a mixed baggage because I really enjoyed the Bay Area as a whole, and certain parts of SF. It was just that the downtown core with all the homeless people and it's really dirty/grungy in some sections; wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but overall I liked it, and the locals I met were very friendly and social.
I always wonder why people visit Miami in the middle of Summer and then complain about the heat & humidity. Come visit during the Winter months and see how different the experience is.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:53 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I always wonder why people visit Miami in the middle of Summer and then complain about the heat & humidity. Come visit during the Winter months and see how different the experience is.
I lived in Florida and the heat humidity and weather was sub par outside just summer lol. Sorry, im on personne’s side there

Old 09-07-2021, 06:54 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
There are a number of cities that have pleasantly surprised or disappointed me, but most have already been mentioned, so I'll focus on two of the larger cities:

I was (slightly) disappointed in Boston, but my very high expectations might have been the cause. Visiting certainly cured me of my longtime desire to move there, in any case.

I was very pleasantly surprised by Philadelphia. Truth be told, I fell in love with it, but my lower expectations might have had something to do with that. I now have a strong desire to live there (for part of the year).

Old 09-07-2021, 07:01 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Disappointed

Columbus - Short North was cool, and German Village was okay. Outside of that it was pretty underwhelming, and the Central Business District was surprisingly sparse and dead.

Surprised

Chicago - This started as disappointment but turned into pleasantly surprised. I had visited a couple of times but only went Downtown. Compared to Manhattan I found Downtown underwhelming. However I recently visited a friend who lives on the North Side, and the neighborhoods we saw were incredibly vibrant and cool. I also really liked the area around U Chicago (despite its bad reputation).

Old 09-08-2021, 02:37 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Surprisingly good:
Tampa
Flagstaff

Disappointed:
Sacramento
Phoenix
Indianapolis

Old 09-08-2021, 07:23 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
DISAPPOINTING
Memphis - It was just much more run-down, ghetto and sketchy looking than I expected, probably the most run-down city I've been to in the South, many parts of it reminded me more of Baltimore or Philadelphia than a typical Southern city.

SURPRISING
Columbus - I went during the food truck festival which was an awesome event. The city was very well kept and modern, and felt clean and safe. The skyline was pretty impressive.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:59 AM

631 posts, read 404,117 times
Florida is a big state - I noticed you didn't say you lived in Miami. Where in Florida did you live? Was it coastal? They're talking about Miami specifically not some land locked portion of the state that offers a completely different experience... especially during the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I lived in Florida and the heat humidity and weather was sub par outside just summer lol. Sorry, im on personne’s side there

Old 09-09-2021, 10:18 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Disappointed

Columbus - Short North was cool, and German Village was okay. Outside of that it was pretty underwhelming, and the Central Business District was surprisingly sparse and dead.

Surprised

Chicago - This started as disappointment but turned into pleasantly surprised. I had visited a couple of times but only went Downtown. Compared to Manhattan I found Downtown underwhelming. However I recently visited a friend who lives on the North Side, and the neighborhoods we saw were incredibly vibrant and cool. I also really liked the area around U Chicago (despite its bad reputation).
The best parts about Chicago are from Lincoln Park-Old Town-Wrigley Field-Uptown-Rogers Park-Lincoln Square. There really isnt something like that in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City