Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 04:11 PM

151 posts, read 223,957 times

Advertisements

best LA if your on the figueroa Street tunnels you can see downtown and mountains around

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:55 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,466 times
I can only speak for the places I've been so:

NYC is definitely #1 when it comes to skyline entrances (IMO)
Seattle, probably second
Philadelphia coming from Jersey on the Betsy Ross Bridge (I think it was that one)
Houston
Atlanta

Not neccessarily in this order (except NYC and possibly Seattle)

Old 03-24-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has the 3rd largest/tallest skyline in the United States after NYC & Chicago.

How anyone couldn't be impressed with their entrance into that city is beyond my wildest imagination.

Hell, driving the mega-wide modern 20+ lane freeways alone are enough to get your pulse rate up let alone the massive skyscrapers scattered about the city's 500+ square mile area looming over you as you drive around on those roadways.
I agree. Houston's not at the top of my list but it's on there. It's such a huge and dense skyline it definitely makes an impression.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
Driving into Manhattan via the George Washington Bridge is a stunner!
Love it. Nothing like it All entrances I've taken into NYC has been amazing. It never gets old seeing that view.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 PM

Oh and I love Chicago's skyline (2nd to NYC) but have only seen it from a plane, not driving

Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 AM

113 posts, read 249,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Uhhh Houston isn't for everyone. Yes the size of the city might impress, but some people are more impressed with natural landscapes that compliment the cityscape. mountains adding to the skyline in beautiful cities like Seattle, Denver, even Salt Lake City. Approaching Miami taking in the various colors complimented with the waterfront, skyline, and palm trees is more exciting than driving into Houston. Big freeways are very common in most modern US cities, another few lanes bigger than LA freeways doesn't impress some people. Honestly I put Houston on the same scale as Atlanta for big city approaches, impressive yes, but not the greatest.
All he's trying to do is prove his point.

Houston does have some good and great dramatic entrances, really!
Its just sad sometimes because a city for its size gets treated like some little rural town. Ya know? Its just sad to see people constantly put us down with negative ***** that aint even worth saying.

So what I need you to do now is take another trip to Houston, ok?
Make sure you fly into Hobby airport. Flying into this airport gives you speechless, breathtaking views of the Houston skyline.

And yes, we are somewhat near Atlantas scale, but More between Chicago and Atlanta. That sounds much better.

haha. Love you Houston

Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Coming into New Orleans from the west, you're driving through the wetlands and bam the city starts instantly. Coming from the east you cross the I-10 highrise and get a view of the enitre skyline stretch out and view of over half of the city. Coming from the south you come into the city 170ft above Mississippi River with a view of the entire metro underneath you. Nice at sunset and night.
I love this one. When I was a kid we lived in New Orleans and my grandparents were in Montgomery. After visiting them we would drive back and I loved seeing the city lights sparkle from that bridge.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:50 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,748,594 times
Only one entrance into Tampa that I think is special.

Driving westward on Causeway Blvd, there is nothing but trees. You see a sign that says "Tampa City Limits" as the road bends northwest and the skyline appears as you begin to cross a bridge over the bay. Great views of the Port of Tampa there too.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
New Orleans coming down south across the Causeway, Houston coming down I-45 southbound is the best view of the skyline, it bites you in the eyeball as they get taller and taller. I-45 also takes you through the skyscrapers, and its elevated. I don't know of any other city that has that.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:00 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans coming down south across the Causeway, Houston coming down I-45 southbound is the best view of the skyline, it bites you in the eyeball as they get taller and taller. I-45 also takes you through the skyscrapers, and its elevated. I don't know of any other city that has that.
We have something like that in Dallas. A section of I-45 in Dallas is elevated for a couple of miles. That freeway runs through the Great Trinity Forest and the Trinity River basin. As you look up you can see the Dallas skyline in the horizon. The freeway slowly reaches grown level, then the freeway is elevated again as you reach downtown. The freeway curves around the Dallas skyline. It's a nice view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City