Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:24 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Thanks. Yeah I was talking specifically of Atlantas' MARTA rail. Atlanta has an actuall subway system. Most other cities it's size only have light rail at best. The advantage of a subway is it's faster, can move more people, and does not interrupt street traffic. The disadvantage is it's more expensive to build and run.
Subway would be an ideal plan for Houston (though several disagree). I think the only thing standing in the way is something about flooding and weak soil. But it's a much more convenient and attractive way of transportation versus light rail on the sides of streets, which are disruptive, as you said, and unattractive, in my opinion. They're also already causing several problems in Houston.

Quote:
Boston, Portland, and San Fran Bay area have all increased the density and improved development and economy of areas around train stations. Atlanta is hoping to (and in some areas already has) do the same to answer your question. Also, like in other cities, there is a huge amount of gentrification going on in many of Atlantas neighborhoods. Condos, lofts, and townhomes are sprouting up in town like weeds. There's also a big movement to add light rail to compliment the subway and reach more areas and spur development. But there are political hurdles to be cleared there.
Density would be a good look for Atlanta. Allowing it's name brand to remain in the city rather than all over northwest Georgia. Cities like Dallas also need to learn the same. Although, it may be too late for them.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Subway would be an ideal plan for Houston (though several disagree). I think the only thing standing in the way is something about flooding and weak soil. But it's a much more convenient and attractive way of transportation versus light rail on the sides of streets, which are disruptive, as you said, and unattractive, in my opinion. They're also already causing several problems in Houston.

Density would be a good look for Atlanta. Allowing it's name brand to remain in the city rather than all over northwest Georgia. Cities like Dallas also need to learn the same. Although, it may be too late for them.
I would love to see a subway in Houston. I think a good metro system could make the already promising area continue its boom. A well-planned and extensive metro system would catapult Houston over Atlanta at least in terms of overall city attractiveness. However, DART and MARTA are also looking to expand so Houston's subway would have to be something special.

You probably assumed I dislike Houston because of our argument earlier but I actually enjoy my visits alot. I also enjoy seeing any American city do well and grown and especiallu ones in the South.

Let's face it though-a cities brand name extends over its metropolitan area. A person from John's Creek, GA or Atascocita, Tx does not say they're from those towns but from Atlanta or Houston. I understand that the Houston mentality is too leave out the suburban sattelite cities because you're city proper is large but it truly isn't representative of the area. The reason suburbs exist is because of the city. They are not independent.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:36 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
It's not for Dallas whatsoever.Dense areas such as Victory, West Village, Uptown and the likes are being developed just north of DTD.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:26 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,302 times
Nice pics Spade.

There's also heavy number of cranes along the Woodall Rogers going up along what will be the Woodall Rogers Park.
The Museum tower will be over there. 7-Eleven's HQ and Hunt's HQ just recently got completed. There will be high rises in reasonable density on both sides of the woodall rogers that are actively going up.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:48 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times
Thats the biggest picture I ever saw on the city data forum.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:57 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Spade, please just link the photo. It is way too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Thanks. Yeah I was talking specifically of Atlantas' MARTA rail. Atlanta has an actuall subway system. Most other cities it's size only have light rail at best. The advantage of a subway is it's faster, can move more people, and does not interrupt street traffic. The disadvantage is it's more expensive to build and run.
Yeah, too expensive. That is why Houston didn't get on in the 80's. It was proposed, but too expensive and short.

Quote:
Boston, Portland, and San Fran Bay area have all increased the density and improved development and economy of areas around train stations. Atlanta is hoping to (and in some areas already has) do the same to answer your question. Also, like in other cities, there is a huge amount of gentrification going on in many of Atlantas neighborhoods. Condos, lofts, and townhomes are sprouting up in town like weeds. There's also a big movement to add light rail to compliment the subway and reach more areas and spur development. But there are political hurdles to be cleared there.
Not light rail, but a streetcar, or BRT. Don't lie. The Beltline is not LRT. I have yet to see any projects that are built around a MARTA station.

Quote:
Houston adding rail would be a huge undertaking but Denver is rapidly and very ambitously expanding it's light rail system so I don't doubt Houston could to if they could get past the politics.
Good luck with MARTA ever expanding. The surrounding counties (white-bread land), are never going to lobby for it. I really don't know what Denver has to do with Houston expanding its rail (which Houston is doing), but whatever. In fact, Denver just expanded its rail, and I haven't seen other plans of doing for expansion. Regardless, Houston gets more ridership than Denver's system.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:38 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Sorry about that. But I usually do link pictures. But people rarely click links.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:08 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Both Atlanta and Houston are green cities to a degree. But most people are not going to move to a new city just for the greenery. I would take Houston over Atlanta because of the magnitude of the city and the resources, culture, variety that are meshed in it. True, the public transportation is very bad but they're working on it. That's the citie's Urban Planning Dept. fault, they should have expanded bus service and built the rail a long time ago. As far as the nasty sprawl I think Houston's population is "rapidly" increasing and as a result the sprawl will be filled. I don't know if Houston will reach the stature of Chicago, LA or NY but it's possible?
The METRO $2.35 billion bond of June 1983 which would have put 30 km of commuter rail on what is now the Westpark Tollway was defeated 61-39%. A decade before, Houston tried to build HARTA but it failed and the city ended up buying the deteriorating private bus operator, Rapid Transit Lines, which became METRO.

Houston has so many empty pieces of land, especially around Greenspoint, due to the lack of zoning. In my native Alief, there is a townhome complex going up on an empty lot.

Houston will end up reaching the stature of the big three and complete the big four representing each of the four regions of the United States. Airplanes, trains, and roads can be built anywhere. Not so with ports. Houston has the advantage of another transportation mode with the coastline.

I think Houston will be Chicago, DFW as Detroit, Miami as Cleaveland, and Atlanta as Cincinnati.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:04 AM

150 posts, read 688,885 times
I think this whole argument is stupid, Houston is better period. More diversity more international more people big port leader in numerous industries, sorry no comparison. Sorry if this hurts feelings or what not, but Atlanta is still a regional hub, Houston is an international hub, thats just the way it is. I think just because Atlanta has experienced slightly more growth (which will die down) than Houston they have gotten big heads, Houston has lead the way for the South for decades and it will continue to lead. How does Atlanta put its stamp on world affairs? Dont say CNN or Coca Cola, because to most foreigners CNN and Coca Cola represent America not a single city. Houston puts its mark on world affairs EVERYDAY, so please stop the Atlanta boasting. If you closely look at both cities Houston easily wins the argument of which city is more of a world city.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:21 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
Dont say CNN or Coca Cola, because to most foreigners CNN and Coca Cola represent America not a single city.
Most of the shows on CNN are from New York or Washington. Anderson Cooper 360, Larry King Live (L.A.), Late Edition. I only see Atlanta's studios during news time and at the top of the hour.

Coca-Cola isn't as good as Pepsi! I only drink it if I have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City