Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 10:32 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
The midwest is not a monolith, how is that city not the midwest. Kansas is the definition of the midwest/flyover country

plus i just looked up dodge city, that city is as flat as a pancake, just like most of the midwest lmaoo, are you trying to say this place is western? When I think western I thin rocky mountains
When you think western you think rocky mountains. But when a lot of people think "western" they think of "Gunsmoke"... which was set in????.... guess where.

Gunsmoke is considered the number one TV WESTERN of all time.

So you can just "get the hell outa Dodge" with this "midwest" stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 06:13 AM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
The midwest is not a monolith, how is that city not the midwest. Kansas is the definition of the midwest/flyover country

plus i just looked up dodge city, that city is as flat as a pancake, just like most of the midwest lmaoo, are you trying to say this place is western? When I think western I thin rocky mountains
Just because the city is in a state that's designated as Midwestern doesn't make the whole state Midwestern. Do you consider the Missouri bootheel to be midwestern as well?

Old 09-20-2023, 07:55 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Just because the city is in a state that's designated as Midwestern doesn't make the whole state Midwestern. Do you consider the Missouri bootheel to be midwestern as well?
Correct. Southwest Kansas has much more in common with the Oklahoma and Texas panhandles as well as eastern Colorado. All of those areas are part of the West.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:53 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Denver is not in the Midwest.
Denver might literally be in the middle, and west but it's not Midwest by regional definition. I always wondered how it got it's name, because some parts like Michigan and Ohio are more eastern than western.

Old 09-20-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Denver might literally be in the middle, and west but it's not Midwest by regional definition. I always wondered how it got it's name, because some parts like Michigan and Ohio are more eastern than western.
The areas of the Great Lakes region were settled earlier, so based on historical settlement patterns they were Midwest. The center of population for the entire Midwest region as a whole remains in north-central Illinois.

Here is a good map for reference as it is easy to forget time frames:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._of_the_US.svg

Old 09-20-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The areas of the Great Lakes region were settled earlier, so based on historical settlement patterns they were Midwest. The center of population for the entire Midwest region as a whole remains in north-central Illinois.

Here is a good map for reference as it is easy to forget time frames:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._of_the_US.svg
It was once referred to as the Northwest since that was once the northwestern portion of the then existing United States. That was how Northwest Airlines got it's name even though it was based out of MSP.

Old 09-20-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
It was once referred to as the Northwest since that was once the northwestern portion of the then existing United States. That was how Northwest Airlines got it's name even though it was based out of MSP.
Yes, WCCO used the moniker "The Northwest's News Leader" even into the 1980's as well. The Upper Midwest was a more common term used after that, often used to differentiate it from the Pacific Northwest.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:29 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
it sure the hell aint Cincinnati...are there sunny cities in the midwest? I mean the sun shines around here but this **** aint exactly sunny...

Old 09-26-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
it sure the hell aint Cincinnati...are there sunny cities in the midwest? I mean the sun shines around here but this **** aint exactly sunny...
Bottom line is if you're looking for a sunny place, the Midwest might be the wrong region for you.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Bottom line is if you're looking for a sunny place, the Midwest might be the wrong region for you.
Omaha and Kansas City might as well be the Sunbelt, (minus the winter component), compared to the Great Lakes region, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City