Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NON-TEXANS ONLY: Houston vs Dallas
Houston 34 46.58%
Dallas 22 30.14%
They're different? Really? 17 23.29%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

Very good idea for a topic! Maybe we should implement this rule for other threads too. Perhaps allow 1 post by a forumer of each city listing facts (not opinions) and allow outsiders to post their opinion after.

• Economy Both are growing at an impressive rate, have low unemployment, and are home to important industries. They seem to fight over energy, with Houston specializing in health care and Dallas in technology. However I think Houston is in a better geographical location and has a strong presence in several industries. I say Houston.
• Culture I'm not sure which is better, though Dallas' culture is certainly more well-known by the country. However this isn't necessarily a good thing since this is often perceived by outsiders to be "Big hair, big belt buckles"
• Art scene I know Dallas has an impressive arts district, but doesn't Houston have one of the largest in the country?
• Night life I don't know much about either, but I have heard Dallas has a great electronic scene, which I love...so I'll give the nod to Dallas here.
• Restaurants No clue
• Parks/outdoor amenities Houston is next to the coast, so that'll get my favor every day of the week.
• Diversity Aren't the demographics of these cities very similar? Tie.
• Cost of living Dallas
• Vibe/hipness I get the impression that Houston is a younger city.
• Anything else you feel is relevant Well I'm a lover of mass-transit, so Dallas wins that category. However, I dislike how Dallas shares the show with Fort Worth and to a lesser extent Irving and Arlington. Houston is a bit more centralized--if you want to call it that--so I like that layout a bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
I know the Texans on here will go nuts, but I voted for the "they're different?" choice.

I'm not saying this as someone who doesn't know Texas well (I spent four years there during school), and travel to both Houston and Dallas regularly for work. But honestly I don't see a lot different between the two cities, or enough to where a non-Texas native could definitively say one is better than the other.

Both metros are:
- Very spread out
- Fairly cheap to live in with gigantic homes
- Have decent food and cultural offerings
- Can have terrible traffic (and I say this living in the LA area)

In my experience it seems the Houston area is somewhat more diverse, with a slightly higher global world view. But Dallas seems to have more and more global ties as well.

One thing not mentioned is the weather. I was in Houston three times last summer and the humidity/heat index was absolutely brutal, much worse than what I experienced in Dallas (although the temps seemed higher in Dallas, the humidity seemed somewhat lower). But overall I'd give Dallas the nod from a weather perspective, although that is a fairly slight difference.

But at the end (sorry Houston and Dallas lovers), to this admitted outsider there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the two places.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
4 of the 11 responses to the OP have been made by Texans. The thread explicitly says "Non-Texans".

Please ignore any jabs other posters make at your cities. It just helps turn this thread into the same flame war we have any other time we discuss something involving Texas. If you keep responding, then you are responsible for destroying this thread because you have fallen into the same trap you always do, again, and again, and again, and again.

Just sit back and watch the thread. Without you jumping in to "defend your honor" odds are those who bash Texas won't stick around long anyways.

Don't respond to this post.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:37 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
These two cities are about as close to being equal as possible.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I know the Texans on here will go nuts, but I voted for the "they're different?" choice.

I'm not saying this as someone who doesn't know Texas well (I spent four years there during school), and travel to both Houston and Dallas regularly for work. But honestly I don't see a lot different between the two cities, or enough to where a non-Texas native could definitively say one is better than the other.

Both metros are:
- Very spread out
- Fairly cheap to live in with gigantic homes
- Have decent food and cultural offerings
- Can have terrible traffic (and I say this living in the LA area)

In my experience it seems the Houston area is somewhat more diverse, with a slightly higher global world view. But Dallas seems to have more and more global ties as well.

One thing not mentioned is the weather. I was in Houston three times last summer and the humidity/heat index was absolutely brutal, much worse than what I experienced in Dallas (although the temps seemed higher in Dallas, the humidity seemed somewhat lower). But overall I'd give Dallas the nod from a weather perspective, although that is a fairly slight difference.

But at the end (sorry Houston and Dallas lovers), to this admitted outsider there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the two places.
I feel the same, I live here but am definitely not a Texan.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
.... seriously, dude?

Look, there's a few things wrong here (for the MILLIONTH time).

- You're confusing "redneck" for "Cowboy/Western"... AGAIN
- Fort Worth isn't apart of Dallas. So how could we "drag Dallas down" when we are not of Dallas?
- You don't know what redneck truly is. I'm a 22 year old black HBCU student who's lived in the city all my life and even I know what REAL redneck is. You see very, very little of it in Fort Worth.

I'm curious to where exactly you even went to in Fort Worth and how long you were there. I know I've asked you this several times already, but since you wont answer and chose to be ignorant, what's the point?
OK Texans, as hard as it is, let's settle down and take what smack is being slung. If we try to influence the debate, we might bias the data. And I'm not just talking to native Texans, but anyone who see themselves invested in the outcome of this thread. That you, annie_himself???

Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,104 times
I've never visited either, but I perceive them as being equals. I think of Dallas as being more white collar and Houston as being more blue collar.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Houston since its closer to the ocean, but honestly I dont find the two along with Atlanta that different from one another

Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,524 times
Economy
Dallas has a more diverse economy
• Culture
Houston
• Art scene
Dallas
• Night life
Dallas
• Restaurants
Dallas
• Parks/outdoor amenities
Houston
• Diversity
Tie
• Cost of living
Houston
• Vibe/hipness
Dallas
• Anything else you feel is relevant
I think Dallas is way ahead of Houston in public transportation and Dallas feels more urban to me than Houston although I know Houston is a much bigger city. If I had my choice I would pick Dallas over Houston

Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I really could care less about it's outcome, Im just here because I live in Houston. But isn't Houstons art scene way ahead of Dallas? And Houston has a slew of restaurants, I'm guessing with more variety being closer to Louisiana.
I would pick Houston, one centralized city, better arts (I'm an artist), and no damn Cowboys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City