Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tenn without Nashville vs Georgia without Atlanta (city not MSA)
Georgia without Atlanta(city only) 49 30.06%
Tenn without Nashville(city only) 103 63.19%
Equal Tie 11 6.75%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This is indeed one of the keenest points I've ever seen made on C-D! I've often thought it myself, but would never have been able to say it so well.

Augusta's location on I-20 not only isolates it from the rest of the state, but makes it a city few Americans would ever travel through. Nobody is going to go out of there way to "just see" Augusta because it's not really on the way to anywhere. Columbia and Florence are not exactly destinations. Indeed, it is my experience that there is far more traffic on I-16 between Macon and Savannah than there is on I-20 between Augusta and Atlanta.
True but there is the Masters.If they can capitalize on that notoriety more,it could create some type of golf tourism industry.Also if the develop the river more as well.

Not to mention the legacy of James Brown.I think they really don't create enough attractions in Augusta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This is one of the keenest points I've ever seen made on C-D! I've often thought it myself, but would never have been able to say it so well.

Augusta's location on I-20 not only isolates it from the rest of the state, but makes it a city few Americans would ever travel through. Nobody is going to go out of their way to "just see" Augusta because it's not really on the way to anywhere. Columbia and Florence are not exactly destinations from the west, and there other major routes up the east coast (95 and 85). Indeed, ithere is far more traffic on I-16 between Macon and Savannah than there is on I-20 between Augusta and Atlanta.

And just to be fair: the same exact thing can be said for Columbus.
If 20 went to Myrtle Beach or even Wilmington NC, things would be different I think.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:36 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If 20 went to Myrtle Beach or even Wilmington NC, things would be different I think.
Or if they ever built Interstate 3.

But I don't want that to happen.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,787 times
Gorgia is nothing without atlanta . and nashville is complicated cause our nickname is "cashville" . but theres still memphis thats just like atlanta , knoxville , chattanooga and etc

Old 09-14-2014, 04:23 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrian View Post
but theres still memphis thats just like atlanta
lol!

Old 09-14-2014, 05:02 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrian View Post
Gorgia is nothing without atlanta . and nashville is complicated cause our nickname is "cashville" . but theres still memphis thats just like atlanta , knoxville , chattanooga and etc
HAHAHAHA!

Old 09-15-2014, 03:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrian View Post
We all know that's true. Savannah and Augusta don't really matter much to the overall economy.

Savannah, GA - Forbes

Augusta, GA - Forbes

Georgia Ports Authority > Port of Savannah

About the Masters - 2014 Masters Tournament

Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
They are.Compared to Mississippi pr North Carolina but Georgia has overall better roads than almost any state.Have you been to Memphis or Johnson City in a while?Some of those bridges look terrible.
To be fair, we do have our fair share of old, decrepit bridges in this state as well...

- skbl17

Old 09-16-2014, 10:55 AM

413 posts, read 437,773 times
there is no way Tennessee doesn't take this Atlanta simply means so much more to Georgia then Nashville to Tennessee losing Nash would hurt Tennessee badly but Knoxville,Chat,Memphis,tri-cities gives them a decided edge no offense to Augusta,Macon,Athens,Columbus and Savannah.......I think VA and NC would win this kind of comparison as well if you took out the largest city or metro in each.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:23 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times
While nobody can deny the significance Atlanta has to the state of Georgia, there is a problem with claiming Georgia would be crippled beyond repair if Atlanta disappears. Applying the OPs rationale (if the city of Atlanta and the city of Nashville were both removed, which state would fare better?) presents an interesting scenario: Tennessee would have a better overall economy, but Georgia would be very, very close behind. Why? Most of Atlanta's F500 headquarters and its primary logistical lifeline (the airport) would still exist. Let's not even talk about the Port of Savannah, the manufacturing plants, and Aflac's headquarters in Columbus.

Take the airport, for example. Hartsfield-Jackson is directly owned and operated by the City of Atlanta, that is a fact. What people don't know is that the airport is entirely outside of Atlanta's city limits. The land occupied by the airport is in the city of Hapeville, city of College Park, and unincorporated Clayton County. Since the OP only specified that the city of Atlanta was to be removed, Hartsfield-Jackson would survive, it would just need a new owner. By that logic, Delta Air Lines also survives, as its headquarters is located on airport property.

Second, most of the companies based in "Atlanta" aren't even located in the city limits. Off the top of my head, UPS, Newell Rubbermaid, Cox, Arby's, Home Depot, Chick-fil-A, NCR, Waffle House, AGCO, and ExpressJet are all located in the suburbs. Thus, a large chunk of Atlanta's economy would survive. There would be a shock, yes, and some restructuring would be necessary, but I don't think it would be totally crippling for the state.

- skbl17

Last edited by skbl17; 09-16-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City