Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tenn without Nashville vs Georgia without Atlanta (city not MSA)
Georgia without Atlanta(city only) 49 30.06%
Tenn without Nashville(city only) 103 63.19%
Equal Tie 11 6.75%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 04:45 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,844,120 times

Advertisements

The ifs. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 07:20 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Just because someone from Tennessee, the Center of the Universe, wouldn't be driving through it? It's on I-20. I haven't driven I-40 in years. Guess Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville are isolated, too.
Well, thank you for recognizing what we Tennesseans already know, that this is the center of the universe.

But in all seriousness, it's not that Augusta is "isolated" as much as it is not on the way to a lot of major cities.

I-20 is a major route...but primarily from Atlanta westward. And 20 is the only interstate route in Augusta...there's not a crossroads like you have with Memphis, Knoxville, and Chattanooga.

You would travel through Memphis and Knoxville on the route from LA to Washington.
You would travel through Knoxville and Chattanooga on the route from Detroit to Miami.
You would travel through Memphis on the route from Chicago to New Orleans.
You would travel through Chattanooga on the route from Chicago to Miami.
You would travel through Knoxville and Memphis on the route from New York to Dallas.
You would travel through Knoxville on the route from New York to Houston.

It's not that it is hard to get to Augusta, it's just that it is not a city that most people would travel through. For better or worse, a lot of potential traffic is sucked away by 75, 85, and 95.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:31 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Well, thank you for recognizing what we Tennesseans already know, that this is the center of the universe.

But in all seriousness, it's not that Augusta is "isolated" as much as it is not on the way to a lot of major cities.

I-20 is a major route...but primarily from Atlanta westward. And 20 is the only interstate route in Augusta...there's not a crossroads like you have with Memphis, Knoxville, and Chattanooga.

You would travel through Memphis and Knoxville on the route from LA to Washington.
You would travel through Knoxville and Chattanooga on the route from Detroit to Miami.
You would travel through Knoxville and Memphis on the route from New York to Dallas.

It's not that it is hard to get to Augusta, it's just that it is not a city that most people would travel through. For better or worse, a lot of potential traffic is sucked away by 75, 85, and 95.
That is a good point.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 PM

367 posts, read 996,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Just because someone from Tennessee, the Center of the Universe, wouldn't be driving through it? It's on I-20. I haven't driven I-40 in years. Guess Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville are isolated, too.
...Indeed

Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:

You do have a point. Things would certainly be different if Augusta had a direct interstate connection to the coast.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
My vote goes to Tennessee whether Georgia has Atlanta or not. Why? No state income taxes...

Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My vote goes to Tennessee whether Georgia has Atlanta or not. Why? No state income taxes...
Thats why the roads look like they do.lol

Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Thats why the roads look like they do.lol
Most of them seem perfectly fine to me.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:25 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:

This is one of the keenest points I've ever seen made on C-D! I've often thought it myself, but would never have been able to say it so well.

Augusta's location on I-20 not only isolates it from the rest of the state, but makes it a city few Americans would ever travel through. Nobody is going to go out of their way to "just see" Augusta because it's not really on the way to anywhere. Columbia and Florence are not exactly destinations from the west, and there other major routes up the east coast (95 and 85). Indeed, ithere is far more traffic on I-16 between Macon and Savannah than there is on I-20 between Augusta and Atlanta.

And just to be fair: the same exact thing can be said for Columbus.

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-26-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Most of them seem perfectly fine to me.
They are.Compared to Mississippi pr North Carolina but Georgia has overall better roads than almost any state.Have you been to Memphis or Johnson City in a while?Some of those bridges look terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City