Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tenn without Nashville vs Georgia without Atlanta (city not MSA)
Georgia without Atlanta(city only) 49 30.06%
Tenn without Nashville(city only) 103 63.19%
Equal Tie 11 6.75%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:53 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times

Advertisements

FWIW Chattanooga's Costco is in Ga so they can sell wine in a grocery store. If that is a reason to declare Ga a better state - have at it!

BTW by now the Atlanta region would likely survive without the city proper but it's not a fair comparison to take out one small center city in Ga and compare it to Nashville which has a metro government and its population is all of Davidson County.

So to be fair you'd have to exclude all of Atlanta's suburbs and much of its exurbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I have been reading this, but not commenting. Honestly, after the crazy music assertion, I really didn't have anything to say. You can go almost anywhere in the world and mention Memphis or Nashville and the people immediately comment on music. Even a guy in a tiny village in Italy who spoke no English said, "Oh, Elivs Presley!" to me when I mentioned Memphis in front of him. Athens is a cool city, but Memphis and Nashville are truly music cities. Nashville has more music industry workers per capita than any other city in the world. And it has the second most recording studios in the US.

Not sure why we are comparing cities with almost a million to cities with less than 200K, but here it is. The GA cities/counties you mentioned all have lower median household incomes and are smaller in population. The GA counties you mentioned also had less growth from 2000-2009. I included growth in the last column:

Augusta/Richmond County: $37,723 Population: 199K 0% change
Savannah/Chatham County: $45,132 Pop: 256K +10.6%
Columbus/Muscogee County: $40,276 Pop: 190K +2.2%

Memphis/Shelby County: $45,722 Population: 920K +2.5%
Chatt/Hamilton County: $47,574 Pop: 337K +9.5%
Knox/Knox County: $45,922 Pop 435,725 +14.1%

State and County QuickFacts
First off Nashville and Atlanta are SUPPOSED to be out of this conversation.But I dont understand how you think its a runaway because Nashville calls itself Music City.It may and its possible you are right it does have more record companies or whatever.However people all over the world do not listen to country like they do hip hop and rap.Like it or not.

While I was responding in this thread last night,my friends from Germany,France and Mexico were visiting.So I asked them had they heard of Nashville.They all(Except the French) guy said no.The French guy said he had but only knew country music was there.
I then asked about Memphis.Nothing.Then one remembered Graceland and Elvis.The one from Mexico.They all knew Atlanta but more for the Olympics and Coca-Cola.None listen to hip hop or country so they knew nothing but they did know Ray Charles was from Georgia because of the movie,Ray.

Atlanta has been a major center for music for a LONG time.t really started in the 90's.I know that is much later than Nashville,but music production is huge in Atlanta.Rowdy Records,Bad Boy South,Def Jam South,So So Def,Organized Noise and LaFace Records just off the top of my head were putting out groups like TLC,Monica,Arrested Development,Tony Braxton,Usher,Pink etc...

Then even today Atlanta is dominating in the awards shows and industry.Ne-Yo,T-Pain,TheDream,and Keri Hilson are the most sought after writers in the industry period at the moment!

Akon,Usher,Scooter Braun all have developed artist like Justin Beiber(Usher/Scooter),Lady Gaga(Akon),Leona Lewis(Akon),

I have a German friend who is an exchange student here in Atlanta DYING for me to take him in the "Ghetto" to T.I.'s club called Crucial.
Another friend from France l2 years ago he came wanted eat at Jermaine Dupri's resturant,Justins(Pdiddy'd returant) and now when he returns he wants go to Straits(Ludacris).

Hp Hop and rap are known world wide and Atlanta is the center of Hip Hop right now.So whether you think its crazy...well thats on you.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
FWIW Chattanooga's Costco is in Ga so they can sell wine in a grocery store. If that is a reason to declare Ga a better state - have at it!

BTW by now the Atlanta region would likely survive without the city proper but it's not a fair comparison to take out one small center city in Ga and compare it to Nashville which has a metro government and its population is all of Davidson County.

So to be fair you'd have to exclude all of Atlanta's suburbs and much of its exurbs.
I did not say it was better but there are things that are better in georgia.I guess that one is another!Thanks.

So what if we said Atlanta-Fulton County?That would be fair.Nashville and Davidson County are consolidated.Atlanta city is actually smaller than Memphis and Nashville

Old 03-22-2011, 02:51 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
The name Music City is not something that Nashville gave itself. It was first used by Queen Victoria of England in the 1800s. Upon hearing the Fisk Jubilee Singers, she said that the voices were so sweet that they must come from the Music City.
Music absolutely permeates all life in Nashville and it's not just country... It's Christian rock, gospel, indie, bluegrass, folk, and even rap and pop due to the incredible amount of studio space and industry talent. Everyone knows someone who works in "the business.". Millions of tourists visit each year and celebrities flock to the city for the big award shows and afterparties. The largest hotel in the country outside Vegas is here and themed around city's musical persona. Many young musicians move Here every year with a dream and play the bars and "honkeytonks" waiting to be discovered. Nashville also finds itself in the lyrics of many popular songs from Ben Harper and Shawn Mullins to The Indigo Girls and Miley Cyrus. That's Nashville. That's not Atlanta or any other city in this country. Atlanta has a lot going for it but Music is one area that Nashville has it beat.

Last edited by vivelafrance; 03-22-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
The name Music City is not something that Nashville gave itself. It was first used by Queen Victoria of England in the 1800s. Upon hearing the Fisk Jubilee Singers, she said that the voices were so sweet that they must come from the Music City.
Music absolutely permeates all life in Nashville and it's not just country... It's Christian rock, gospel, indie, bluegrass, folk, and even rap and pop due to the incredible amount of studio space and industry talent. Everyone knows someone who works in "the business.". Millions of tourists visit each year and celebrities flock to the city for the big award shows and afterparties. The largest hotel in the country outside Vegas is here and themed around city's musical persona. Many young musicians move Here every year with a dream and play the bars and "honkeytonks" waiting to be discovered. Nashville also finds itself in the lyrics of many popular songs from Ben Harper and Shawn Mullins to The Indigo Girls and Miley Cyrus. That's Nashville. That's not Atlanta or any other city in this country. Atlanta has a lot going for it but Music is one area that Nashville has it beat.
Funy how you mention 2 artist from where else...Atlanta!(Indigo Girls and Shawn Mullins).The Indigo Girls live in Decatur.

You sure?Chicago,NYC,San Francisco,and yes even Atlanta and many songs about Georgia.Like this one by John Mayer who developed his skills living in Atlanta after joining songwriter and schoolmate from Berklee (Clay Cook,a native of Atlanta)to live in among those in the music scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs8dsERsal8

Trisha Yearwood-Georgia Rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Ck9Uh8P50

Quote:
In March of 1998 after two years, Cook made the decision to leave Berklee with his bandmate, John Mayer, to move their duo to Atlanta, Georgia, as he was a Georgia native and was aware of the music scene in the city. They began their career in earnest there, quickly making a name for the two-man band. They frequented the local coffeehouse and club circuit in venues including Atlanta's famous venue Eddie's Attic. On their writing partnership, Cook said, "Even back then, my role was more like that of a producer and John was the writer. I'd give input to clean up the rough edges and help him get his vision of the song more clear. For instance, he might have written six verses to a song, and I'd help him get it down to three."[1] Clay and John wrote songs in Atlanta which would later appear on Mayer's record Room For Squares, including: No Such Thing, Why Georgia, Love Song For No One, and Neon (song).
The same things you sy about Nashville are evident here.You cant go anywhere Atlanta and not know someone doing something in the music industry or enterntainment.

Awards Shows held in Atlanta:
The Dove Awards moves from Nashville to Atlanta 2011
Dove Awards move to Atlanta in 2011 *| ajc.com
The Trumpet Awards
BET Awards
The International Soul Music Summit presents The 1st Annual ISMS Indie Music Festival
The Gospel Music Channel(GMC)Headquarteres is in Atlanta
Stellar Awards

Some of the Country Music Artist from Georgia(or living):
Allan Jackson
Trisha Yearwood
Travis Tritt
Zac Brown Band
Kenny Rogers
Jennifer Nettles

Old 03-22-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Funy how you mention 2 artist from where else...Atlanta!(Indigo Girls and Shawn Mullins).The Indigo Girls live in Decatur.
From Atlanta but singing about Nashville...hmm.

And all those artists you listed from Georgia spend a lot of time working or living in Nashville!

Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
From Atlanta but singing about Nashville...hmm.

And all those artists you listed from Georgia spend a lot of time working or living in Nashville!
Nashville is a nice place ...but the live in Atlanta.

Amy Ray has a house in Dahlonega GA
Shawn Mullins lives in Atlanta

Old 03-22-2011, 04:37 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
I still don't get the Georgia music argument. If it were Nashville vs. Atlanta, Nashville would win...but this thread is supposed to be about the absence of those two...so then you move on to Memphis. Memphis clearly has more musical culture and heritage than any Georgia city, and it's not even close. Hell, Memphis rivals Atlanta.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:38 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times

Still, the United States is home to the two top-ranked cities – Nashville which is literally off-the-chart on this measure and Los Angeles, the center for global entertainment.

Creative Class » Blog Archive » Music Cities of North America - Creative Class

*credit to nashvols who posted this chart and link in Music City Thread.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post

Still, the United States is home to the two top-ranked cities – Nashville which is literally off-the-chart on this measure and Los Angeles, the center for global entertainment.

Creative Class » Blog Archive » Music Cities of North America - Creative Class

*credit to nashvols who posted this chart and link in Music City Thread.
"Nashville's bar extends about twice the width of this chart"
That's all that needs to be said...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City