Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tenn without Nashville vs Georgia without Atlanta (city not MSA)
Georgia without Atlanta(city only) 49 30.06%
Tenn without Nashville(city only) 103 63.19%
Equal Tie 11 6.75%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:30 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Let's be real: that stuff is only there because of its proximity to Atlanta. We're fooling ourselves if we think otherwise.

To be a bit more realistic (if that's even possible in such a scenario as this one), we need to consider the entire metro area instead of the arbitrary square mileage known as the city. In such a case, TN wins this contest IMO.
Well I guess it depends on the question.Its all hypothetical and can be looked at either way.How do you know that Decatur would not become the major city and Atlanta the size of Decatur today.These cities are older than Atlanta in some cases.

Of course TN wins hands down if you consider the suburbs as part of the city.I just think that 35% of the state is just not realistic to say that NONE of those areas would have anything going on if Atlanta were not there.However that was the question as I stated.MSA not included ,CITY ONLY.Otherwise this would not even be a thread worth replying to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well I guess it depends on the question.Its all hypothetical and can be looked at either way.How do you know that Decatur would not become the major city and Atlanta the size of Decatur today.These cities are older than Atlanta in some cases.

Of course TN wins hands down if you consider the suburbs as part of the city.I just think that 35% of the state is just not realistic to say that NONE of those areas would have anything going on if Atlanta were not there.However that was the question as I stated.MSA not included ,CITY ONLY.Otherwise this would not even be a thread worth replying to.
It's really going to be the same end result. The vast majority of businesses and residents wouldn't be in Atlanta's suburbs if there were no Atlanta. Of course this is all hypothetical, but you want to temper it with a certain dose of reality so to speak.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:19 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
It's really going to be the same end result. The vast majority of businesses and residents wouldn't be in Atlanta's suburbs if there were no Atlanta. Of course this is all hypothetical, but you want to temper it with a certain dose of reality so to speak.
It would be interesting to speculate how other areas would've grown without the primary city in the area becoming the metro...but there's really no way to know for sure, as usually there is a good reason (historical importance) that one city grows over another.

Nashville is the oldest American settlement in Middle TN, but obviously other areas would've grown eventually.

For example, Murfreesboro, a Nashville burb now, was at one time the state capital. If Nashville didn't exist, it very well could've been the capital today, and might have grown in a similar fashion. What would've happened if I-40, I-65, and I-24 had converged in Murfreesboro instead of where Nashville is? Would Murfreesboro have developed a dense core and have a dozen or so skyscrapers? Who knows? It's fun to speculate, though.

Perhaps there is a compromise without taking out the entire metros or just the cities...maybe consider that the area might have 1/4 or 1/2 of the current population.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:21 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Quote:
I meant to say Georgia by a long shot.Nashville cities and areas within its MSA are much smaller themselves.Many of Atlanta headquarters are actually outside the city limits.Duluth,Marietta,Suwanee, and further out Calhoun and Columbus,etc.
GA has 32 companies in the f-1000.Of those,5 are outside Metro Atlanta(MSA)

Georgia has some huge economic engines like military bases.
Fort Benning-Columbus(also Aflac Headquarters)
http://www.georgiapower.com/GRC/pdf/...kings_2010.pdf
Fort Gordon-Augusta
Robins AFB-Warner Robins
etc
Columbus is home to:

1) Fort Benning (one of the world's largest if not the largest military installation in the world. Home to the infantry, Rangers, Sniper School, and soon to be armor division from Fort Knox which is bringing 30,000 people to Columbus)
2) AFLAC
3) TSYS (world's largest credit card processor)
4) Synovus (regional bank)
5) Carmike Cinemas (3rd largest movie theater chain)
6) Charbroil

Other notable companies include Blue Cross Blue Shield, Pratt & Whitney, Panasonic, NCR, etc. Can't forget the Kia plant up the road in West Point.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Columbus is home to:

1) Fort Benning (one of the world's largest if not the largest military installation in the world. Home to the infantry, Rangers, Sniper School, and soon to be armor division from Fort Knox which is bringing 30,000 people to Columbus)
2) AFLAC
3) TSYS (world's largest credit card processor)
4) Synovus (regional bank)
5) Carmike Cinemas (3rd largest movie theater chain)
6) Charbroil

Other notable companies include Blue Cross Blue Shield, Pratt & Whitney, Panasonic, NCR, etc. Can't forget the Kia plant up the road in West Point.
I was just in Columbus for a day trip.It had been many years that I had actually been downtown.I gotta say,I was impressed.I was in Augusta last week and I was underwhelmed.I used to be more in Augusta corner but Columbus has really steeped up its downtown.I saw more activity on the street too(in Columbus) around the same time I was in Augusta.Id say its still a toss up,but with the growth of these two cities,I can honestly say Tennessee can have Knoxville,and Memphis.Bigger does not always mean better.Id put North Carolina as the leader if it was in this poll way before I'd put TN.

Augusta,Columbus,and Savannah put against their piers in that order in tN would be Memphis,Knoxville and being the second largest city in TN in order would be,Memphis ,Knoxville and Chattanooga( a small part in GA).

Looking at the educational attainment,incomes, and poverty rates.Georgia's cities are overall wealthier and I honestly believe that the state is more progressive.

With the exception of Savannah, Tennessee cities may have more to do but overall.GA has a more diverse scenery, history and culture and nature.Mainly due to TN;s lack of a coast.GA has what TN lacks but not the other way around.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
With the exception of Savannah, Tennessee cities may have more to do but overall.GA has a more diverse scenery, history and culture and nature.Mainly due to TN;s lack of a coast.GA has what TN lacks but not the other way around.
Georgia has more diverse scenery, history, culture, and nature?

Georgia has what Tennessee lacks, but not the other way around?

I'm beginning to wonder if you just created this thread to boost Georgia. It seems you know nothing about Tennessee. Maybe you should come visit some time.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
I was just in Columbus for a day trip.It had been many years that I had actually been downtown.I gotta say,I was impressed.I was in Augusta last week and I was underwhelmed.I used to be more in Augusta corner but Columbus has really steeped up its downtown.I saw more activity on the street too(in Columbus) around the same time I was in Augusta.Id say its still a toss up,but with the growth of these two cities,I can honestly say Tennessee can have Knoxville,and Memphis.
I've gotta say, either you are being a huge homer here or you're not familiar with Memphis and Knoxville. You're underwhelmed with Augusta and Columbus has only begun to turn the corner with its DT revitalization, yet you'd rather have those over Memphis and Knoxville? Do Augusta or Columbus have anything akin to Beale Street? Peabody Place? Autozone Park? An authentic, historic downtown trolley system? Gay Street? Market Square (http://americancity.org/columns/entry/2515/ - broken link)? World's Fair Park? And you say that "with the growth of [Augusta and Columbus]," Tennessee can have Knoxville and Memphis. Maybe you aren't aware, but Augusta and Columbus post pretty below-average growth rates; nothing really impressive about them at all. Hopefully that will change in the near future, but as of now, that's how it stands.

Quote:
Looking at the educational attainment,incomes, and poverty rates.Georgia's cities are overall wealthier and I honestly believe that the state is more progressive.
Actually, looking at per capita income, things are close to even between both sets of cities (which can be seen here). An even better indicator of wealth is metro GDP per capita, in which case TN's cities do come out ahead. That's a more fair way to measure wealth as opposed to absolute GDP; the TN metros will of course post higher figures in that category because they have larger metros. The metro GDP per captia figures are as follows, from greatest to least:

Memphis: $43,215
Knoxville: $37,357
Columbus: $35,666
Chattanooga: $34,912
Savannah: $33,389
Augusta: $29,904

Quote:
That's all pretty subjective. While Savannah does have the coast going for it, all six of the cities in both states are river cities, with Memphis sitting on the mightiest of them all--the Mississippi. Chattanooga's location is very scenic with both the river and the mountains. And as far as culture goes, I think Savannah and Memphis could really go head to head in that category, but in different ways. Like I said, those things are really subjective.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Georgia has more diverse scenery, history, culture, and nature?

Georgia has what Tennessee lacks, but not the other way around?

I'm beginning to wonder if you just created this thread to boost Georgia. It seems you know nothing about Tennessee. Maybe you should come visit some time.
Actually I first went to Knoxville in 1984 when I was a kid to the Worlds Fair.I absolutely loved it.I think its cool now and better for sure,but I think its lagging behind its potential.

I am also in the Johnson City-Kingsport-Bristol area a lot too.I should add that I am also very impressed with Nashville.I believe for a lot smaller city of its size,arts wise it can almost go head to head with Atlanta.I like Nashville a lot more than Charlotte.

Yes I do stand by my opinion that GA does have a more diverse scenery etc..Having a coast automatically does that.What makes that so hard to swallow?
I also say the same about culture and history.In Georgia you have native American mounds that date back over 10,000 years,Gullah and Geechie people.Not to mention both Savannah ,Augusta,and Brunswick are all older than any city in TN.
The Revolutionary War,and Civil War very prominent in the history of GA.

This weekend I took a friend from France to Providence Park where you have a beautiful canyon dubbed "Little Grand Canyon".We were amazed in the beauty of it.TN has larger and more mountains but they are in the same range as GA are.Seen one ,seen them all.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I've gotta say, either you are being a huge homer here or you're not familiar with Memphis and Knoxville. You're underwhelmed with Augusta and Columbus has only begun to turn the corner with its DT revitalization, yet you'd rather have those over Memphis and Knoxville? Do Augusta or Columbus have anything akin to Beale Street? Peabody Place? Autozone Park? An authentic, historic downtown trolley system? Gay Street? Market Square (http://americancity.org/columns/entry/2515/ - broken link)? World's Fair Park? And you say that "with the growth of [Augusta and Columbus]," Tennessee can have Knoxville and Memphis. Maybe you aren't aware, but Augusta and Columbus post pretty below-average growth rates; nothing really impressive about them at all. Hopefully that will change in the near future, but as of now, that's how it stands.

I said Memphis and Knoxville had more fun stuff to do so not sure why Im a "huge Homer".I meant to clarify about growth.I meant economy and economic opportunities and future activity.

Savannah is WAY better than Memphis.But thats my opinion.Memphis cannot match the beauty of Savannah.NO WAY.Although they both have some really GHETTO areas.That ill give a tie

Actually, looking at per capita income, things are close to even between both sets of cities (which can be seen here). An even better indicator of wealth is metro GDP per capita, in which case TN's cities do come out ahead. That's a more fair way to measure wealth as opposed to absolute GDP; the TN metros will of course post higher figures in that category because they have larger metros. The metro GDP per captia figures are as follows, from greatest to least:

Memphis: $43,215
Knoxville: $37,357
Columbus: $35,666
Chattanooga: $34,912
Savannah: $33,389
Augusta: $29,904
Im just using the info out there just like you are.It is your opinion which measure to use is better.
My other my point.Those cities are so much larger but barely measure up or "best" those GA cities economic wise.

That's all pretty subjective. While Savannah does have the coast going for it, all six of the cities in both states are river cities, with Memphis sitting on the mightiest of them all--the Mississippi. Chattanooga's location is very scenic with both the river and the mountains. And as far as culture goes, I think Savannah and Memphis could really go head to head in that category, but in different ways. Like I said, those things are really subjective.
Again I dont agree but thats my opinion.I mean Cumberland Island,Jekyll Island,Sea Island.Can you look or swim in the waters where Edward Teach(Blackbeard the Pirate)terrorized the British Empire?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Actually I first went to Knoxville in 1984 when I was a kid to the Worlds Fair.I absolutely loved it.I think its cool now and better for sure,but I think its lagging behind its potential.

I am also in the Johnson City-Kingsport-Bristol area a lot too.I should add that I am also very impressed with Nashville.I believe for a lot smaller city of its size,arts wise it can almost go head to head with Atlanta.I like Nashville a lot more than Charlotte.

Yes I do stand by my opinion that GA does have a more diverse scenery etc..Having a coast automatically does that.What makes that so hard to swallow?
I also say the same about culture and history.In Georgia you have native American mounds that date back over 10,000 years,Gullah and Geechie people.Not to mention both Savannah ,Augusta,and Brunswick are all older than any city in TN.
The Revolutionary War,and Civil War very prominent in the history of GA.

This weekend I took a friend from France to Providence Park where you have a beautiful canyon dubbed "Little Grand Canyon".We were amazed in the beauty of it.TN has larger and more mountains but they are in the same range as GA are.Seen one ,seen them all.
I'll give you the coast...that is something Tennessee can't compete with...but Tennessee does have a tremendous amount of diversity between the Mississippi Delta plains in West Tennessee, the highland rim, Nashville basin, Cumberland Mountains, Tennessee valley, and Appalachian Mountains. The Great Smoky Mountains is one of the most diverse ecosystems in the world. Simply having a coast is not an automatic winner IMO. Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah don't have coasts, but no one in their right minds would say there is not a diversity of scenery there. I'm not saying Tennessee is "like" them, but the diversity of scenery is at least close to the same level as Georgia, even without the coast.

As far as history and culture, yes, Georgia is older. No doubt about that. They aren't far older, but yes, there was much more going on during the birth of our country there than there was in Tennessee. As far as the Civil War goes, Tennessee wins that category. There were more battles in Tennessee than any other state except for Virginia. Yes, we all know of Sherman's march to the sea, but let's not forget the major battles that took place in Tennessee such as Shiloh and Stones River. As far as Native American history, Tennessee is very rich in that as well, with the Pinson Mounds in West Tennessee and Old Stone Fort in Middle Tennessee. Native Americans lived in Tennessee as far back as 12,000 years, and many place names are some sort of variation of Native American names...including Tanasi, which is the namesake for Tennessee.

As far as culture, I think Tennessee competes very well with its diverse music culture and history. Memphis was not just important for the blues (and now rap), but rock and roll and pop, as well. Nashville is known for country music, but has also been very important for bluegrass and gospel music as well. East Tennessee also has a history of "mountain music" and folk, country and now bluegrass. I don't think Georgia can compare to Tennessee as a whole with the music culture.

In reality, there are things that both states offer that the other can't match. One state is not necessarily "better" than the other...just different. Georgia has a coast, Tennessee has major rivers. They are very different in that regard. I just take issue with the assertion that Georgia has things that Tennessee doesn't, but Tennessee has nothing that Georgia doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City