Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:59 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm just going to ignore the whole "economic map" thing.

The suburbs may not "respect" the inner city of Dallas for nothing important, but you do know there are several reasons why Ft. Worth doesn't exactly have a lot of high praise for Dallas in general, right...?
Yes, Fort Worth loved the idea of DFW Airport .

Face it, Dallas was the more business and transplant friendly town, sometimes to its own detriment. It would be interesting to know what dreams the business leaders of FW had back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
what I mean is that they are pretty meaningless, when you are telling someone from another part of the state or country, or world, where you are from. the metro region is really what they would care about in my experience. schools are generally a local issue, where most people would give a more specific location where they live.
I'm sorry, I just don't see that at all, not as a universal anyway.

Let's say I met someone, and they said they were from Philadelphia. I'd imagine their home neighborhood as being full of narrow streets crammed with brick rowhouses. If they then corrected that they were in a suburb outside of Philly, I'd then come up with a different set of conclusions entirely.

Now, there are cases where I'd say the difference is less stark. For example, there isn't much difference with someone being from Kansas City proper or some incorporated suburb of it. But in places where the city is quite different in many ways (politics, built structure, demographics, etc) from the surrounding suburbs, saying you're "from" a city gives a false impression.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:12 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Let's say I met someone, and they said they were from Philadelphia. I'd imagine their home neighborhood as being full of narrow streets crammed with brick rowhouses. If they then corrected that they were in a suburb outside of Philly, I'd then come up with a different set of conclusions entirely.

Now, there are cases where I'd say the difference is less stark. For example, there isn't much difference with someone being from Kansas City proper or some incorporated suburb of it. But in places where the city is quite different in many ways (politics, built structure, demographics, etc) from the surrounding suburbs, saying you're "from" a city gives a false impression.
So what about the people that live in the suburban parts of the city, or the people that live in the urban parts of the suburbs. Are they being disingenuous because it doesn't fit your preceptions.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Having spent considerable time in Pennsylvania, it actually is very common for someone from a suburb of Philly or Pittsburgh to say they're from the city. A lot of the inner ring suburbs of both cities do in fact have row houses or at least relatively walkable business districts.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
So what about the people that live in the suburban parts of the city, or the people that live in the urban parts of the suburbs. Are they being disingenuous because it doesn't fit your preceptions.
If you live in the same metro, then I think it would be disingenuous. It is pretty disingenuous (and confusing) for someone from Plano to say they live in Dallas when they're talking to someone who lives in the same metro. For one thing, Plano is actually a big suburb and well known throughout much of the state. Ask someone in Houston or Austin if they know about Plano and chances are they do. Each TX city has its own mega-suburb like Plano -- replace it with the Woodlands or Round Rock.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:33 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
If you live in the same metro, then I think it would be disingenuous. It is pretty disingenuous (and confusing) for someone from Plano to say they live in Dallas when they're talking to someone who lives in the same metro. For one thing, Plano is actually a big suburb and well known throughout much of the state. Ask someone in Houston or Austin if they know about Plano and chances are they do. Each TX city has its own mega-suburb like Plano -- replace it with the Woodlands or Round Rock.
This whole discussion is predicated on talking to someone unfamiliar with said metro. Of course within a metro area nobody claims the city if they are not from it.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
When I lived in Sunnyvale back in the 1990's, I would sometimes say "Sunnyvale, north of San Jose" or "Sunnyvale, in the Bay Area" when out of the state. I went to Park City, UT, Disney World in Orlando, FL and Colorado Springs, CO and Las Vegas on trips in the 90's. I'm fairly certain most people in those states are not familiar with Sunnyvale, but they have heard of San Jose and the Bay Area.

Last edited by chessgeek; 01-05-2017 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 02:56 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
That's why I said it would be different if someone was from the Kansas City area - which has a lot of very suburban neighborhoods within city limits.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:30 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Yes, Fort Worth loved the idea of DFW Airport .

Face it, Dallas was the more business and transplant friendly town, sometimes to its own detriment. It would be interesting to know what dreams the business leaders of FW had back in the day.
We're the ones who actually had to sacrifice an airport just to make it happen, but it is what it is.

The business sector was not the main point of my post but it isn't as if we don't have ANY nationally recognized companies on this side of the Metroplex...

Old 01-05-2017, 03:56 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Taxes, school districts, crime rates. Often transit, urbanity.

Maybe my perception is skewed by having grown up in NYC, and living in Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh. With the exception of the core Boston area towns (Cambridge, Sommerville and Brookline) there's a substantial difference between those cities and their suburbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
But there are.

I have heard people complain about suburbanites coming into the city and taking advantage of what it offers, while not contributing at all via taxes, etc.
The point I was making is that it's all connected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City