Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 11:47 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Ahhhh! So the truth comes out!
Apparently this is all about representing ones socioeconomic status, and has nothing to do with the accuracy of a geographic location. Good to know.
On the contrary, it's all about accuracy of geographic location. If I lived in Reseda, but told people Malibu "because more people know Malibu and it's easier to just say that, and they're close".....would you believe that reason? Neither would I.

The truth, it's the easiest thing to remember!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 11:52 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Most suburbs would be tiny farm towns if not for the core city. If not for Austin, Round Rock would be a town of about 1200 people. If not for Dallas, Plano and Garland would be about 1200. If not for Detroit, those suburbs would still be tiny little farm towns and Detroit probably never would have went bankrupt. I think what needs to be done is these people in the suburbs need to start paying their fair share thru a metro tax. The Suburbanites are the ones who are clogging up the freeways. They wanna use the core city parks, and go to all the events in the core city. Basically, they want all the benefits the main town has to offer, but they don't want to pay for it .
If not for Dallas, it would probably have been one of the other cities that boomed as the railroads passed through. Dallas is unlike many other major cities in that its geographic advantage is entirely a manmade one and another one, even one that is currently a suburb of it, could easily have taken its place.

Dallas gets its revenue mostly from sales tax and property tax. I know a number of business owners who live in the suburbs but pay property tax in Dallas. All those suburbanites coming into Dallas are contributing by paying sales tax and the main resources they use are the roads; it isn't like people are only going into Dallas, there are plenty of Dallas residents who use the roads to reach Fort Worth or the suburbs to do things. I have many friends who live in Dallas and most the time they prefer going to Plano or Addison or Frisco or Carrollton. Dallas isn't some wonderland everyone heads out to for a fun night out.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:02 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
my point comparing n.y.c. and philly rapid-transit subway system to boston and d.c. is that it is logistically harder to ride in between the city borders in the former two than the latter two.

when i lived in philly, the 101 or 102 trains that went to the main line suburbs, start on 69th st (the border of philly) and did not accept subway tokens (did this change recently ?). you had to pay a separate fare and go thru another turnstyle (they mite as put a sign that said 'you are now leaving philly; this way to suburbia').

as a student you can logistically get to temple (north philly) to upenn (west philly) much more simply on 1 token (orange line to blue line) in rush hour. imagine going from rutgers-camden to temple during rush hour: wait in line at kiosk and pay $3.00 for a patco ticket; get off at walnut; exit station; walk one block to broad street line; wait in line to buy a pair of septa tokens ($2.25 each); go thru turnstyle; whoops, i missed my train.

in boston and d.c. (like you said, partially because the cities are so small) the suburbs are considered part of the city and rapid transit wise the system are much more logistically connected. imagine if it were like going from harvard (cambridge) to b.c. (chestnut hill):
  • take red line to kendall/mit.
  • get off walk across charles.
  • take boston subway to park street
  • transfer to green line (b train)
  • take it to the brighton border
  • pay a fare for another trolley to chestnut hill
that trip would be like 4 hours long ?
There are so many incorrect facts here I don't even know where to start.

1. 69th street is not in Philly. It's upper darby
2. The 101 and 102 trollies serve delaware county. The NHSL serves the mainline.
3. They are all on the same payment system tokens/transpasses.

PATCO is a seperate system, but it's not nearly as inconvenient as you describe considering it's a different state, and the Jersey side is a completely different animal from the PA side.

Philly actually does a pretty good job of integrating it's suburbs with a commuter rail system that is a quasi-sbahn.

Last edited by killakoolaide; 01-02-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-02-2017, 12:30 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
On the contrary, it's all about accuracy of geographic location. If I lived in Reseda, but told people Malibu "because more people know Malibu and it's easier to just say that, and they're close".....would you believe that reason? Neither would I.

The truth, it's the easiest thing to remember!
If it's all about the location, then why did you point out the cost factor?

Living in Reseda and claiming L.A. for example, would be perfectly acceptable when addressing someone unfamiliar with L.A. If you were addressing someone familiar with L.A., then you would obviously be more specific. It's about the efficiency of conversation, and has nothing to do with being untruthful.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:43 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times
These days its a symbiotic relationship. The cities are the hub and the suburbs need the cities, but the city needs the suburbs too. Those bars, restaurants and theatres have suburban patrons. And let's be honest you can drop a stadium anywhere and the team will be fine, Foxborough, EastRutherford, Auburn Hills.

I live in Boston but I'd guess there are just as many donors to the theatre in Weston and Newton as the Southend and Back Bay

Old 01-02-2017, 01:05 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
If it's all about the location, then why did you point out the cost factor?

Living in Reseda and claiming L.A. for example, would be perfectly acceptable when addressing someone unfamiliar with L.A. If you were addressing someone familiar with L.A., then you would obviously be more specific. It's about the efficiency of conversation, and has nothing to do with being untruthful.
Reseda is a neighborhood incorporated into the city of Los Angeles, so it would be 100% accurate to claim Los Angeles.

When someone who lives in Reston, Virginia claims "D.C." I totally believe that's all about "efficacy of conversation"...yeah, that's the ticket.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:23 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
I find comfort knowing that justice will finally prevail when suburbers answer the question "where y'all from?" at the pearly gates.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:43 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I have many friends who live in Dallas and most the time they prefer going to Plano or Addison or Frisco or Carrollton. Dallas isn't some wonderland everyone heads out to for a fun night out.
For nightlife, it certainly is. I'll give you Addison & maybe Legacy in Plano though, but who goes to Frisco & Carrollton for fun? That's like choosing Round Rock over 6th St. in Austin for a night out on the town lol.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:49 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
For nightlife, it certainly is. I'll give you Addison & maybe Legacy in Plano though, but who goes to Frisco & Carrollton for fun? That's like choosing Round Rock over 6th St. in Austin for a night out on the town lol.
Carrollton mostly because a good chunk of my friends are Korean or non-Korean (mostly White or African Americans) with interests in Korean culture. Aside from Harry Hines in Dallas itself, Carrollton has probably the best concentration of Korean businesses in the metro, with some preferring the concentration in Carrollton because of the unfortunate reputation surrounding Harry Hines/Royal Lane and/or because it has more non-Korean establishments. I like both, depending on what I am going for (bars I prefer Harry Hines but for karaoke and groceries I prefer Carrollton, food both are great depending on the specifics).

Old 01-02-2017, 03:51 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Carrollton mostly because a good chunk of my friends are Korean or non-Korean (mostly White or African Americans) with interests in Korean culture. Aside from Harry Hines in Dallas itself, Carrollton has probably the best concentration of Korean businesses in the metro, with some even preferring the concentration in Carrollton because of the unfortunate reputation surrounding Harry Hines/Royal Lane. I like both, depending on what I am going for (bars I prefer Harry Hines but for karaoke and groceries I prefer Carrollton, food both are great depending on the specifics).
Ahh yes, that is a good point. Does Richardson have much in the way of Chinese nightlife?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City