Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 PM

8 posts, read 22,967 times

Advertisements

A lot of people are saying that the Southeastern U.S. is so much better than the rest of the U.S. Especially the Northeast.
My question is, is the South really that much better than the NE? What's so great about it? What is in the South that you can't find anywhere else?
I have looked for this thread, and I couldn't find it anywhere.
My intention is not to bash the South, or any other place for that matter, but I really, genuinely want to know why the South is supposedly better.

Last edited by Bo; 03-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US. If it's not useful to people who are relocating, it belongs in City vs. City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 02:14 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Better? That depends on your definition of good! If you like warm weather, a slower pace, a church-based social life, etc. then yes, it is better. People can tell you different things about the South and tell you what to expect (to a certain extent), but only you can decide if it's better.

For example, I personally prefer the North because I like cold weather, I like a fast pace, and I can't stand church culture. Not that all parts of the South are churchy, but a lot are, so for someone who's not into going to church, it's borderline stifling. But if you love socializing through your church, you'll have a great time finding friends and networking by joining a church if you move down South. However, big cities everywhere have a lot of everyone, so you'll have no problem finding a church in Chicago or New York either.

It also depends where in the South you go. West Virginia is not Alabama and Alabama is not Texas. There's also a huge difference between being in a small rural town and being in Miami, even though both are in "the South." So it all depends. Cities tend to have a more cosmopolitan feel whereas towns tend to have a more local feel. If you like a local feel, a small town will be better. If you like diversity and options, a bigger city will be better.

If you list your criteria for what makes a good place, then posters can give you a more accurate answer of whether the South is "better."

Old 03-21-2011, 02:46 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Better? That depends on your definition of good! If you like warm weather, a slower pace, a church-based social life, etc. then yes, it is better. People can tell you different things about the South and tell you what to expect (to a certain extent), but only you can decide if it's better.

For example, I personally prefer the North because I like cold weather, I like a fast pace, and I can't stand church culture. Not that all parts of the South are churchy, but a lot are, so for someone who's not into going to church, it's borderline stifling. But if you love socializing through your church, you'll have a great time finding friends and networking by joining a church if you move down South. However, big cities everywhere have a lot of everyone, so you'll have no problem finding a church in Chicago or New York either.

It also depends where in the South you go. West Virginia is not Alabama and Alabama is not Texas. There's also a huge difference between being in a small rural town and being in Miami, even though both are in "the South." So it all depends. Cities tend to have a more cosmopolitan feel whereas towns tend to have a more local feel. If you like a local feel, a small town will be better. If you like diversity and options, a bigger city will be better.

If you list your criteria for what makes a good place, then posters can give you a more accurate answer of whether the South is "better."
Mmmm...sounds like heaven to me! The exact things that you like about the North are the things that have always made me feel like I was born in the wrong part of the country. I hate cold weather, I hate the attitude that every little thing is astronomical in importance and must be attended to immediately, even if it means being abrupt and rude, and I love church culture and meeting friends through church. If I didn't live in a small, rural town here in Michigan that somewhat fits those criteria as much as any place in the North can, I would probably be insane by now.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
i find the northeast vs south debate amusing because they both suck IMO.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:52 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSt.Claire View Post
A lot of people are saying that the Southeastern U.S. is so much better than the rest of the U.S. Especially the Northeast.
My question is, is the South really that much better than the NE? What's so great about it? What is in the South that you can't find anywhere else?
I have looked for this thread, and I couldn't find it anywhere.
My intention is not to bash the South, or any other place for that matter, but I really, genuinely want to know why the South is supposedly better.
It's really subjective. A lot of people like the south because of the milder winters, lower cost of living, and business-friendly environment.

However, those who do love colder weather, or dislike humidity might not find the South's climate attractive. Those who like big urban cities will also find that the south has less to offer in general.

It's all about your perspective. No region is a one-size-fits-all for every person. The South is just the popular place to relocate right now, just like the Northeast and Midwest used to be.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
Quote:
A lot of people are saying that the Southeastern U.S. is so much better than the rest of the U.S.
removed - unnecessary comment
Seriously what is this obsession with the south? The south is ok. It may not measure up to some parts of the country but it has some good points......thinking .....thinking.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 10-14-2011 at 02:09 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 03:30 PM

115 posts, read 243,177 times
Quote:
My question is, is the South really that much better than the NE?
The only people who think that are southerners and the newcomers down there. I think both the North and South have it's own advantages and disadvantages.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:51 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
The heat and humidity alone are enough to make me wonder why on earth anyone would voluntarily move here. But obviously it doesn't bother some people. Or it does but they're always indoors with air conditioning in the summer so they don't fully experience it.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
The heat and humidity alone are enough to make me wonder why on earth anyone would voluntarily move here. But obviously it doesn't bother some people. Or it does but they're always indoors with air conditioning in the summer so they don't fully experience it.
Well, you know what they say...you don't have to shovel heat.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:15 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Well, you know what they say...you don't have to shovel heat.
True, but having worked outside for years in both heat and cold, I would take cold any day, without question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City