Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 05:14 PM

266 posts, read 277,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Explained what exactly? That the rubric of end-to-end station distance is ridiculous?
It's not ridiculous at all when that is the fastest route between the two end stations. If you can tell me a faster route by public transit between Church and Court Square stations, by all means do.

Quote:
Uh, they can laugh, but that's an actual schedule from the MTA. Find something even closer to the source? Is MTA's own schedule somehow the less authoritarian source on the matter?
I don't care what their response is really. But I have nothing to do with the website, nor did I have anything to do with that chart. My guess is that used driving distance or direct distance rather that the actual distance of the line. Take your crying up with them. I don't really care.

Quote:
I wouldn't get rid of the downtown stations, per se, but I'm wondering why they route to such a tight U in downtown.
It's obvious why it goes down Yonge Street. That's the city's main spine. But what other street would you rather have it go up than University Avenue? That's a street lined with large office towers. I can't think of another street that would make more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 PM

37,185 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan2 View Post
It's not ridiculous at all when that is the fastest route between the two end stations. If you can tell me a faster route by public transit between Church and Court Square stations, by all means do.

I don't care what their response is really. But I have nothing to do with the website, nor did I have anything to do with that chart. My guess is that used driving distance or direct distance rather that the actual distance of the line. Take your crying up with them. I don't really care.

It's obvious why it goes down Yonge Street. That's the city's main spine. But what other street would you rather have it go up than University Avenue? That's a street lined with large office towers. I can't think of another street that would make more sense.
But why would I need to do that? What is the rationale for that? What priority does that really take over all the other possible locations people would actually be traveling? What makes your idea of calculating the driving distance from one end of a subway line to another and then dividing it by the total time for the entire actual route a sensible measure?

Who cares if you have anything to do with the website. Your point was about the speed of the line. I presented information from the actual source. You were all about the speed of things. The source has the actual schedule. Does 18.4 miles per hour to 22 miles per hour seem painfully slow to you for the red-headed stepchild of the MTA? Sure, I'd love for it to be faster, but, disregarding everything else that makes a transit system great, does Toronto really have subway lines that are much faster? The only things I can see that would be much faster would be subway lines that sort of end up as a version of commuter rail around their endpoints (such as BART or the Washington Metro or S-Bahn lines) where there are vast intervals between stations.

I understand that's the main spine, but why is it looped instead of just a single double tracked line down Yongle or a wider U or maybe like a crisscrossed bow (U line but with the stems of the U intersecting)? Were there other routings or service patterns they had gone for?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-04-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 PM

266 posts, read 277,035 times
Quote:
But why would I need to do that? What is the rationale for that? What priority does that really take over all the other possible locations people would actually be traveling? What makes your idea of calculating the driving distance from one end of a subway line to another and then dividing it by the total time for the entire actual route a sensible measure?
Because if you're going from one end of the line to the other, the circuitousness of the route only hurts you. A good transit line is relatively straight. And the comparison to Toronto Y-U-S line is silly. The Y-U-S line is basically two lines combined into one. It is not designed to be travelled from one end to the other. It is designed to be travelled on EITHER the Yonge segment, OR the University-Spadina segment. If you want to go "across" (east-west), you take a bus or streetcar. Every station is at an east-west bus or streetcar route. Though there are plans to extend the Sheppard subway west to Downsview - so there will eventually be a subway line connecting Yonge-Sheppard station to Downsview station.

A good transit line is relatively straight:

Human Transit: be on the way

Quote:
An efficient transit line -- and hence one that will support good service -- connects multiple points but is also reasonably straight so that it's perceived as a direct route between any two points on the line.

The G line SHOULD only be 8-9 miles long. If one is driving the length of the line, they would only need drive 8.4 miles. That's the actual distance being travelled from end-to-end. The line is about 35-40% longer than it would be were it a relatively straight, efficient line.

Quote:
Who cares if you have anything to do with the website.
Evidently you do. Because you keep whining to me that it's wrong. Take it up with the people who created the chart.

Quote:
I understand that's the main spine, but why is it looped instead of just a single double tracked line down Yongle
It would only have half the capacity that way. People would only be able to travel north on Yonge, instead of north on Yonge or University. Is that not obvious from looking at a map of the line?

Quote:
or a wider U or maybe like a crisscrossed bow
University is lined with large office towers. It needs it's own north-south line. Were it much wider, the western end of the "U" would not effectively serve the tower of University Avenue.

I thought you'd been to Toronto. This stuff I'm telling you is obvious to anyone who has. I really should be getting paid for all of this education I'm providing you.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,898,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

But per Toronto and Chicago, one has to go with Chicago. Yes, there's the violence and crap neighborhoods, but overall a significantly more important city, with just more of almost everything.
Everything is a big word... do you know everything that Toronto does or does not have. My inclination is you do not because you made the statement.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,737,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
That's like saying Phoenix is less dry than Las Vegas
people would assume so but it is not exactly the case.

Toronto receives 133 cm of snow on average per year. Chicago receives 96 cm.
Toronto has almost 40% more snow - it is not really a marginal difference.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:

I understand that's the main spine, but why is it looped instead of just a single double tracked line down Yongle or a wider U or maybe like a crisscrossed bow (U line but with the stems of the U intersecting)? Were there other routings or service patterns they had gone for?
Spadina would be a better route than University ave, which is only 650 meters from Yonge, when it comes to providing better subway access to a wider area.

-------------------- Bathurst
650 meter
============ Spadina
800 meter
-------------------- University
650 meter
============= Yonge
800 meter
---------------------- Sherbourne

As you can see if the University line downtown section is placed on Spadina, then basically the entire downtown area is within 8-10 minutes walk to a subway station.

And if the 510 ROW streetcar runs on University, the street will be a lot more vibrant than the current dead zone situation. And Spadina between Bloor and College will get a big boost due the subway.

I understand that the University line is supposed to relieve the pressure from the Yonge line. However, the convenience can easily be recreated by allowing the Spadina line to turn Southeastwards after reaching Dundas (Chinatown) and have stations at Queen/University and King/Bay/Yonge if it has to join the Yonge line.

Anyway, the line on University is simply too close to Yonge to provide the maximized benefits to the city.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:11 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,385,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
people would assume so but it is not exactly the case.

Toronto receives 133 cm of snow on average per year. Chicago receives 96 cm.
Toronto has almost 40% more snow - it is not really a marginal difference.

Chicago apparently gets more sunshine...Some 2500 hours a year to Toronto's 2066.... That's a surprisingly large difference. Wow, arguing Chicago's weather as a selling point.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Chicago apparently gets more sunshine...Some 2500 hours a year to Toronto's 2066.... That's a surprisingly large difference. Wow, arguing Chicago's weather as a selling point.
No, that difference was due to different ways of measuring sunshine hours between the US and Canada. A piece of evidence is that Niagara Falls, NY shows substantially more sunshine hours than Niagara Falls, Ontario, which can't be true. Windsor ON shows 2261 hours of sunshine a year, while Detroit has 2436 hours, when they two cities are just across a river from each other.

Chicago is only marginally (negligible I would say) warmer than Toronto, but it is a lot less snowy - and that's a pro for people like me who really hate the snow.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:13 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,385,916 times
Quote:
No, that difference was due to different ways of measuring sunshine hours between the US and Canada. A piece of evidence is that Niagara Falls, NY shows substantially more sunshine hours than Niagara Falls, Ontario, which can't be true. Windsor ON shows 2261 hours of sunshine a year, while Detroit has 2436 hours, when they two cities are just across a river from each other.

Chicago is only marginally (negligible I would say) warmer than Toronto, but it is a lot less snowy - and that's a pro for people like me who really hate the snow.

Interesting...or maybe Detroit has an adverse effect on Windsor weather.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,715,490 times
Quote:
Spadina would be a better route than University ave, which is only 650 meters from Yonge, when it comes to providing better subway access to a wider area.

-------------------- Bathurst
650 meter
============ Spadina
800 meter
-------------------- University
650 meter
============= Yonge
800 meter
---------------------- Sherbourne

As you can see if the University line downtown section is placed on Spadina, then basically the entire downtown area is within 8-10 minutes walk to a subway station.

And if the 510 ROW streetcar runs on University, the street will be a lot more vibrant than the current dead zone situation. And Spadina between Bloor and College will get a big boost due the subway.

I understand that the University line is supposed to relieve the pressure from the Yonge line. However, the convenience can easily be recreated by allowing the Spadina line to turn Southeastwards after reaching Dundas (Chinatown) and have stations at Queen/University and King/Bay/Yonge if it has to join the Yonge line.

Anyway, the line on University is simply too close to Yonge to provide the maximized benefits to the city.
University Ave has dozens of office buildings, hospitals, research facilities, Queens Park etc all right there. I can't see any other street deserving the looped Yonge University line in downtown Toronto after Yonge St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City