Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 03:09 PM

591 posts, read 782,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps;38822382[URL
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.882797,-87.705057,3a,75y,28.69h,89.23t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKx_v3xQh82uCh1t-l7qE5Q!2e0[/url]
That house is beautiful though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 03:15 PM

425 posts, read 467,058 times
I thought of an analogy for Chicago vs Toronto!

Toronto is the Tortoise and Chicago is the Hare. haha

Chicago got an explosive start and was catapulted to become one of the greatest cities in the world in only a century of existence. And then it slowed down.

Toronto has literally had a slow but steady growth until it's caught up with Chicago.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:53 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Well a lot of movement from US Rustbelt cities did go to the suburbs. But Racial Change was Radical in the 60s 70s. I knew aspects of Chicago in the late 70s and then living there in the later 80s. All my White Relatives moved from Southside and North side neighborhoods for the final growth push of the cities Northwest side early 60s. Neighborhoods change Racially drastically in very short times. Downtown had declines State Street shopping declined. Adult stores moved in. Theaters began showing even their movies. Even NYC had these declines as Times Square became very shady before the city fought back. Some as Detroit never recovered, from severe white flight and loss of Manufacturing. Then the 80s began the Latino influx again change came in neighborhoods. But far less in declines.

Toronto gaining Anglo flight from Québec was the total opposite to what US Northern cities especially hit hard. Manufacturing moved to the sunbelt if not to the Suburbs? Or then to China, if not directly there first. More stability, gentrification and movement of Young Urban Professionals back to Urban cores. Have been restoring declines. Today also there are areas of the Southside of Chicago where housing had to be ripped down and left to return to Prairie again and many spaces in blocks vibrant homes one stood like these examples

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8827...h1t-l7qE5Q!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8828...UsNzYeS8dg!2e0

So there was housing lost and part of the population drop.

It is great Toronto has had steady growth and paying off in stature and key city of Canada today.
Wow - a post of yours where we are in agreement totally lol...

Some of those residences in your links are quite handsome actually!

Old 03-15-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
I thought of an analogy for Chicago vs Toronto!

Toronto is the Tortoise and Chicago is the Hare. haha

Chicago got an explosive start and was catapulted to become one of the greatest cities in the world in only a century of existence. And then it slowed down.

Toronto has literally had a slow but steady growth until it's caught up with Chicago.
I would say this was true up until the 60/70's - since than in terms of population growth Toronto has been a cheetah but still its taken awhile for that Cheetah to catch up just because of as you eluded to - Chicago had a really strong period from the late 1800's until well into the 20th..

I don't really like these comparisons anyway - the cities are quite dramatically different especially in terms of when their growth spurts have taken place and demographics. The great thing about cities is that being a Tortoise, Hare or Cheetah destiny can change quite rapidly.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:08 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Chicago boomed earlier, but it wasn't just the boom that has Toronto and many other cities catching up in population. There's also the massive decay and stagnation Chicago had within its urban area in the latter half of the 20th century which had the city lose about a million in population. The somewhat good thing is that Chicago seems to have hit an inflection point in its loss and seems to perhaps be once again going towards gaining again. Whether or not this will be an accelerated gain following the inflection point of turning from massive losses remains to be seen as there are still a lot of pretty tough issues the city has to currently deal with.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:10 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think Chicago wins this one by a good margin. Toronto has no unique character, it's pretty much just what Detroit would be today if it hadn't gone downhill.
Lol, wtf? Toronto is WAY more diverse than what Detroit was in its heyday.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Lol, wtf? Toronto is WAY more diverse than what Detroit was in its heyday.
Yeah that was a kind of an odd thing to say but whatever.. He's probably never even visited Toronto or visited for a few days and thinks he knows the place.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:17 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah that was a kind of an odd thing to say but whatever.. He's probably never even visited Toronto or visited for a few days and thinks he knows the place.
I'm wondering if he ever visited Detroit to build it up like that. Detroit doesn't hold its own against any city its size and still loses to several smaller cities like Minneapolis.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm wondering if he ever visited Detroit to build it up like that. Detroit doesn't hold its own against any city its size and still loses to several smaller cities like Minneapolis.
Agree though I do have a bit of a soft spot for Detroit I must admit

The city deserves more love than it gets..

Old 03-15-2015, 09:07 PM

591 posts, read 782,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Agree though I do have a bit of a soft spot for Detroit I must admit

The city deserves more love than it gets..
could you imagine if Detroit hadn't experienced its fall? that city would have been amazing, i wish is could see detroit back in its hayday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City