Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,311 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I posted a thread about moving to Phoenix, but I also have the opportunity of living in Portland (job offers)....any thoughts on how these two cities compare? Especially if there's people that moved from Portland to Phoenix or vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 PM

111 posts, read 226,454 times
A good friend of mine got a fabulous job in Portland but moved back to Phoenix after 18 months, mostly because he was used to the desert and couldn't take the rain. However, coming from Chicago, he enjoyed that Portland was more of a real city than Phoenix (despite being much smaller) and has a real downtown, something you don't find in Phoenix's stucco sprawl.

I say visit both places and decide for yourself. I hate rain so I'd probably choose Phoenix even though it sounds like Portland is better in every other aspect.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:42 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,965 times
Portland, OR or Portland, ME?

I guess it doesn't matter all that much as both cities are completely different from Phoenix. I don't think you can really compare them. I'd suggest visiting both cities and spending time in each before deciding.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:27 AM

6 posts, read 39,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Ok, so I posted a thread about moving to Phoenix, but I also have the opportunity of living in Portland (job offers)....any thoughts on how these two cities compare? Especially if there's people that moved from Portland to Phoenix or vice versa.
Well where do you currently live?? You've got to factor in friends and family and how these places compare to where you live now. I just moved to Phoenix about two months ago and it's not so bad, but if you are not a big fan of urban sprawl and driving everywhere then Phoenix is for you. I've never been to Portland myself, but I've heard many good things about how Portland is the most european like city in the US, which means it's more advanced, liberal and has a LOT of mass transit and higher density developments.

Here's my tip for you, who cares about weather -Portland is mild and it rains a lot, so who cares, there is a sense of community there and there is character, history and SO many shades of green. Phoenix is a giant hodgepodge of people from everywhere else so there is no sense of culture and it get HOT -but the thing that kills me the most about Phoenix, everything is gated and there's walls everywhere, there's no community and you won't meet anyone here, I've never spent so much time on the internet and I'm from IOWA!!! Seriously, do your social life a favor and go somewhere with some charater!

If you do go to Phoenix, I would suggest having a family or travelling to other places a lot Let us know what you decide and good luck!

Old 10-02-2007, 12:29 AM

6 posts, read 39,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockisu07 View Post
Well where do you currently live?? You've got to factor in friends and family and how these places compare to where you live now. I just moved to Phoenix about two months ago and it's not so bad, but if you are not a big fan of urban sprawl and driving everywhere then Phoenix is for you. I've never been to Portland myself, but I've heard many good things about how Portland is the most european like city in the US, which means it's more advanced, liberal and has a LOT of mass transit and higher density developments.

Here's my tip for you, who cares about weather -Portland is mild and it rains a lot, so who cares, there is a sense of community there and there is character, history and SO many shades of green. Phoenix is a giant hodgepodge of people from everywhere else so there is no sense of culture and it get HOT -but the thing that kills me the most about Phoenix, everything is gated and there's walls everywhere, there's no community and you won't meet anyone here, I've never spent so much time on the internet and I'm from IOWA!!! Seriously, do your social life a favor and go somewhere with some charater!

If you do go to Phoenix, I would suggest having a family or travelling to other places a lot Let us know what you decide and good luck!

Sorry I meant to say PHoenix ISNT for you if you don't like urban sprawl and driving everwhere..........

Old 10-02-2007, 12:40 AM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,126 times
Portland is a very nice city with a walkable downtown (unlike Phoenix). It's a great place to live if you can deal with the rain, taxes, and politics (I couldn't.)

Phoenix is a great place to live if you like sunshine, the desert landscape, and driving to your favorite stores, restaurants and entertainment venues. Taxes are on the rise here, though, so maybe that part of the comarison is no longer an issue.

As others have said, visit both cities and see which one you prefer.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,258 times
I lived in Portland for about 1 year, now in Phx. Portland is a really lovely city...it is a bit European flavored. The downtown is very walkable and the urban core is very gentrified so you could actually live downtown and not own a car (good light rail). Plenty to do downtown. The area surrounding Portland is beautiful and lush. Mount Hood is fantastic. The forests are fantastic.

It rains and is overcast a great deal. Another poster said something about "bad weather, who cares"....well A LOT of people care about weather. If you don't like a great deal of rain and dark days (and it gets dark at about 4:00 pm in the winter if I remember correctly...I really did not like that!), then Portland may not be for you.

If you like a lot of rain, etc. and want to live in more of a city atmosphere you should really check it out. It is a great place. The politics are very liberal. I myself didn't care for that, but it didn't make me want to move.

Phx is a better fit for me as I don't want to live in a downtown area...I live far out and have a bit of land and like to drive into town.

Phx has lots of suburbs which seem to be geared toward families with kids. The weather is miserably hot for about 4 months. The rest of the year is pretty wonderful. There is not a lot of greenery, but the desert is beautiful in it's own way. You either like it or not.

You really have to physically check out both places...but if you need sunlight most days, Portland is not for you.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:45 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
I love Portland, OR, for all the reasons others mentioned. If it only wasn't for the darn rain... I've been to Seattle and Portland only once for a few days, but it seemed to me that in Seattle at least in rains and then it stops, whereas in Portland drizzle is a constant feature up to a dozen times a day... Other than that, LOVE it! Not sure about this, but I've heard the employment situation is not particularly great in Portland.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:32 PM

94 posts, read 349,554 times
Two completly different cities! Just depends on what you like. Me originally being from the East Coast, I prefer Portland. I love that you don't have to drive anywhere. You don't have to shop at a mall. There are lots of quaint neighborhoods with wonderful shopping/eating/entertainment districts. However, if you prefer driving and you love having a McMansion and access to every chain imaginable, then Phoenix is for you.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,955 times
Hello to everyone new to the thread and looking for the same advice as the OP.

This forum took place almost 9 years ago, and therefore I feel like it needs an update for anyone considering the two options since phoenix has changed quite a bit.

I am currently living in Phoenix, AZ and have been for almost 7 years now. I never lived in Portland, but I visit there several weeks out of the year, across all seasons.

I would first like to start by mentioning something no one else has: crime.

The metro phoenix area is sprawling with crime. Gang members, prostitutes, drug dealers, meth heads, etc. They are everywhere. I would say 70% of the people I know living out here have been a victim of some sort of crime. There have been more and more people migrating from cities like LA since the cost of living is much more affordable.

Yes, cheaper rent is nice, but along with that comes an increased risk of being a victim. Everyone out here is just looking to survive, therefore you won't find too many options for entertainment since it is seen as more of a luxury. There aren't that many restaurants, bars, or exciting places to hang out honestly, at least not compared to other major cities in the US.

The buildings are all worn down. The sun has baked all the colors off of everything leaving everything with a de-saturated appearance. There isn't much grass, and the grass you do see is usually browning and dying. Same goes for trees. I hope you like dry palm trees because that's almost all that you will see.

Many people move to Phoenix for the southwestern scenery. However, all of the cool stuff is at least an hour drive in any direction from the main area. It is a misconception that phoenix is populated by saguaro trees, red rocks, etc. but that is not the case. If you enjoy that scenery I would advise you to move somewhere outside of Phoenix, like Sedona or Payson.

It's also crowded as all hell. There are currently 1.5 million (documented) people currently living in Phoenix as opposed to around 600,000 in portland. This makes getting around and running errands a chore.

So, in short, Phoenix is ugly. It's congested, it's hot, it's dangerous, it's smoggy. It has basically turned into Los Angeles, only there are no beaches to drive to, no 'cool spots' worth checking out, and 120 degree summers.

But, it's inexpensive and easy to navigate around due to everything being laid out like a grid. The mexican food is also fantastic, I will definitely miss that the most when I leave.

If you're looking to move to the Phoenix area, I would suggest checking out Scottsdale or Chandler. They are overall much better and safer.

Portland is very lush. The city itself feels alive with a positive, creative, & charismatic energy. It is also easy to navigate and very pedestrian friendly.

The people are nicer, the air is cleaner, the city itself is beautiful as well as the people living there.

The downside is the rain. It is a wonderful change if you're used to living in the desert, but I guess that's a matter of preference. I personally find myself much more active and happy when the skies are gray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City