Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Correct. At present time, the Bay Area is more economically dynamic than all three of them and the Bay Area is wealthier than all three of them.

And as far as combining world class urban sophistication and amenities, incredible natural beauty with a near perfect climate, hyper diverse communities and a leading world economy, nowhere in the world really comes as close to perfection as the San Francisco Bay Area.

We can point at some places that have some of the elements I described but no where has all of the elements I described like here.

Boom.
I am going to assume this is sarcasm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Put it this way. NYC is a world/human capital along with cities like London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Paris. SF is not.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Put it this way. NYC is a world/human capital along with cities like London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Paris. SF is not.
Exactly my point, NY is in the big 5 and an argument can be made its number one in the world.

SF is a world class city and is amazing. I am not trying to bash SF, but their seems to be one booster in particular in this thread who is so beyond delusional words can't describe it.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal-c View Post
Hi all,

I currently live in SoCal, but might be relocating to SF. I am from the East Coast and lived in NYC for many years. Moving out of CA is not currently an option, so I'm trying to get excited about the prospect of moving to SF.

I have liked SF quite a bit when I've gone up to visit - the walkability, the food, and the culture all seem pretty wonderful. However, it's hard not to compare it to New York, especially when you're basically paying the same amount for rent and living expenses.

I'd like to live a car free lifestyle. It is very, very easy to do this in NYC, but in SF the public transportation seems slow and plagued by problems. Also, SF seems much more sketchy and crime-ridden than the parts of NYC that I lived in. Way more homeless people, crazies, and quiet creepy abandoned areas in SF. Also, it seems like SF closes up pretty early - I miss being able to get takeout at 11PM.

So to those of you who know both cities well - tell me about the things that make living in SF better than living in NYC. And yeah yeah, I know about the weather. I'm currently in LA, which beats both of them sun and temp wise (but sucks in the city lifestyle department).

Thanks!
Stupid thread. What city one prefers is subjective. If you love SF you will prefer SF and vice-versa.

The OP should jsut visit both and decide for themselves.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
You got to love this- New Yorkers comparing Queens and Brooklyn to San Francisco. Have these people stepped foot in San Francisco. I will admit that Manhattan is amazing- but Brooklyn and Queens are boring wastelands compared to San Francsico. Its like comparing Chicago to Cleveland. And "more people" doesn't mean a thing. Dallas has more people than New Orleans- but where would people rather go? Jacksonville is far larger than Miami- how many people are booking trips to Jacksonville?
LOL! We're biased but your name is SFNative and you're calling Brooklyn a wasteland? Yeah. Ok.

Lastly SF can't even talk to Chicago so what makes you think it could have a meeting with NY? It can't. Get over it. the City of New York = Alpha ++, completely destroys SF by a HUGE margin. You're proving nothing by singling out Manhattan. At all. You guys just can't get enough of Manhattan ha! We're still doing something right =)

Quote:
Basically.

Some people just refuse to accept reality. And keep in mind, I very much appreciate urban revitalization and former seedy areas becoming redeveloped(code for "gentrified"), but San Francisco is an upscale, world class urban destination with all the requisite amenities that separate the men from the boys. BK does not compare, in the least.
SF being posh lol. Your little town. . . . wait but don't you live in Oakland??? The hood of the Bay? You seem to LOVE SF so much. Why don't you cry about Oakland being Posh. Or dense, or it's skyline, or it's attractions. Because no one cares?

Regardless of how many times you attempt to break up New York, you fail to realize you can't. I think that's what makes you unable to sleep. Seeing as though the boroughs will never be alone or separate. LOL!

You're so funny and delusional but it makes us all laugh.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Exactly my point, NY is in the big 5 and an argument can be made its number one in the world.

SF is a world class city and is amazing. I am not trying to bash SF, but their seems to be one booster in particular in this thread who is so beyond delusional words can't describe it.
Yeah, SF is nice and world-class, but it's not a mega metro.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Wow - somebody has been adding an extra something something to his Kool Aid.

Kind of like when Lloyd Bentsen said to Quayle - Senator you're no Jack Kennedy - San Francisco, You're no New York City!

Quote:
Correct. At present time, the Bay Area is more economically dynamic than all three of them and the Bay Area is wealthier than all three of them.

And as far as combining world class urban sophistication and amenities, incredible natural beauty with a near perfect climate, hyper diverse communities and a leading world economy, nowhere in the world really comes as close to perfection as the San Francisco Bay Area.

We can point at some places that have some of the elements I described but no where has all of the elements I described like here.

Boom.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You can take everything I said about New York, London and Tokyo and apply that to Hong Kong and Paris as well.

Where they beat SF in some ways, none of them are really the complete package the Bay Area is, not really.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
You can take everything I said about New York, London and Tokyo and apply that to Hong Kong and Paris as well.

Where they beat SF in some ways, none of them are really the complete package the Bay Area is, not really.
I think you're just trolling to get a high off of the people here on CD. You know they will argue their point across like hungry hyenas.

I don't think you truly believe SF is the human capital of the world, especially when NYC and London are consistently ranked as the #1 cities in the world and both are the only Alpha++ cities in the world.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
You got to love this- New Yorkers comparing Queens and Brooklyn to San Francisco. Have these people stepped foot in San Francisco. I will admit that Manhattan is amazing- but Brooklyn and Queens are boring wastelands compared to San Francsico. Its like comparing Chicago to Cleveland. And "more people" doesn't mean a thing. Dallas has more people than New Orleans- but where would people rather go? Jacksonville is far larger than Miami- how many people are booking trips to Jacksonville?

We all agree that Manhattan is amazing. It truly is. But you have to be incredibly biased to start comparing the outer boroughs to San Francisco. They are in entirely different classes. San Francisco is ranked as the best America city to travel to very often- sometimes several consecutive years. The Golden Gate Bridge is the second most recognizable landmark in the world- the Eiffel Tower is #1.
I think you've gotta be crazy to consider ANY of the outer boroughs (with the exception of Staten Island) to be "boring wastelands" compared to SF. Your Chicago/Cleveland, Miami/Jax comparisons are a total joke. You should try to potentially learn a few things about the outer boroughs before opening your mouth and sounding like a complete fool. Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx are all large, diverse, areas with incredible offerings which easily stack up to San Francisco. Take a look here or here and see if you feel the same way.

In terms of the "city life" where does San Francisco get the upper hand? Street life? No. 24-hour amenities? No. Parks/Monuments? SF is fantastic in this area, but no. All outer boroughs and SF are very, very diverse ethnically.

Of course when comparing the outer boroughs to SF you're going to get a different dynamic. SF is the center of an entire metro, whereas the outer boroughs are not. They're going to be overwhelmingly residential and industrial comparatively speaking to SF since, well, Manhattan dominates everything from a commercial perspective.

Could you argue that SF is better than some of the individual outer boroughs? Potentially (though I'd probably disagree), but the SF posters on here are trying to sh*t on the outer boroughs due to their own insecurities. It's really the same old song & dance we see in every other thread involving SF, but it just pushes itself to another level when dealing with arguably the greatest city in the world. Two key points:

1. You realize this really isn't an argument, right? Nobody is even entertaining what some of you are saying because you've become so outlandish.

2. The only ones who are somewhat agreeing with you are other SFers, while the people rolling their eyes at the bashing of the outer-boroughs are from EVERYWHERE ELSE. Shouldn't that tell you something? Time for a little self-reflection. There's no shame in losing to the best...and that includes the outer boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City