Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 01:25 PM

229 posts, read 1,043,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
uh huh, maybe from a few miles off shore... but then as you come in shore from that cruise on lake michigan or the atlantic ocean you start to notice HEIGHT, MASS, and QUALITY
That's an old picture of Miami. The skyline does not look like that now. I've certainly posted enough pics for you to see that.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Yes, Miami's skyline is on par with Chic's. Tie.
I wouldn't say the two skylines are on the same par. To me, the Miami skyline simply resembles the Chicago skyline more so than any other major U.S. skyline.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
That's an old picture of Miami. The skyline does not look like that now. I've certainly posted enough pics for you to see that.
I was just in Miami, picked me up some Guava paste that I am eating...
Sorry but I'm still not impressed, it has nothing on chicago. Out of big cities in the u.s. I've been to MIA, ATL and CHI more than any other... mia is just not impressive, there isn't that much of it, and the quality is very cheap.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I was just in Miami, picked me up some Guava paste that I am eating...
Sorry but I'm still not impressed, it has nothing on chicago. Out of big cities in the u.s. I've been to MIA, ATL and CHI more than any other... mia is just not impressive, there isn't that much of it, and the quality is very cheap.
If you're not impressed, fine! I never said Miami had anything on Chicago!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
if u look at i, yes miamis skyline looks like a tropical/newer version of chicago's. they are kinda similar. but chicago's is bigger. chicago gets my vote

miami's aint to bad cause look at all the cities that are bigger than mia but their skylines aint much

Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
if u look at i, yes miamis skyline looks like a tropical/newer version of chicago's. they are kinda similar. but chicago's is bigger. chicago gets my vote

miami's aint to bad cause look at all the cities that are bigger than mia but their skylines aint much
True, that's the biggest thing. The skyline is very impressive for the population.

Also, it is worth noting that an expansive skyline can sometimes belie the lack of density and urbanity underneath. Case in point: Atlanta. Looks very impressive from a distance, with Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead skylines. These have all shot up like reeds in recent decades. However, at ground level, one just does not get the "indoor" or "walled-in" feel that one gets in Chicago or NYC or Philadelphia.

Atlanta is a great city, and has a grand skyline. However, it would be a mistake to put it (or Miami) on the same scale as some place like Chicago that was developed before the rise of the automobile.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:00 PM

ya thats sorta like charlotte's skyline. impressive on the expressway but its alright when youre in it

Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:

I didn't think this was something we had to vote on. I never said Miami was better or that it wins over Chicago. I'm simply stating and showing in what ways they are similar. If other people don't see it, fine. I see Miami as being similar to Chicago, but on a much smaller scale. Chicago is a much older established city and Miami is just the baby brother by comparison and just getting its growth.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
I didn't think this was something we had to vote on. I never said Miami was better or that it wins over Chicago. I'm simply stating and showing in what ways they are similar. If other people don't see it, fine. I see Miami as being similar to Chicago, but on a much smaller scale. Chicago is a much older established city and Miami is just the baby brother by comparison and just getting its growth.
i guess im a little biased. but like i said miami does look like chicago's but newer/more tropical. could easily be third imo.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
i guess im a little biased. but like i said miami does look like chicago's but newer/more tropical. could easily be third imo.
As I've said on this thread before, Miami is already being counted the third biggest skyline in the U.S. with the sheer number of tall buildings that have made it to construction with this last boom with several taller buildings having already been approved for the future. New York and Chicago have their own place in skyscraper history. Now Miami has made its own place in American skyscraper history with the speed at which it burst into this third place position. Call it cheap and crappy-looking, but it is mostly state-of-the-art, 21st century architecture that the Miami skyline is built with, and that is part of what sets it apart.

Whenever you're here or whenever you are here again, take a ride across the Rickenbacker Causeway coming back from Key Biscayne and take in the view. I did that just this weekend and took pictures from the Rickenbacker Causeway too. You will have no doubt that Miami now has one of the country's major skylines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City