Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:34 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

All three are historic river cities, that have a lot of cultural heritage and get overlooked and underrated.

But despite having a similar metro and city population, it seems that St. Louis and probably Pittsburgh seem to be slightly more well known than Cincinnati.

I haven't been to Pittsburgh, but I have been to both STL and Cincy, and I think Cincy is a little more charming, fun, with a nicer riverfront, and a bit bigger and nicer downtown.

Is it St. Louis's beer empire of Bud-Anheuser-Busch or the ARCH that makes St. Louis a bit more well known in the US. and abroad?

For those of you who know both, What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:38 PM

769 posts, read 1,731,563 times
I always thought that STL was pretty underrated as it was. Pittsburgh gets more recognition because of its former glory and because it's still a great place to be. But you are right, no one really knows or cares that much about Cincinnati. I guess I never really thought it about but its metro is huge. 2 million people! Maybe it's because it doesn't get at much mention in the media as the other cities? I don't know.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM

329 posts, read 700,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
All three are historic river cities, that have a lot of cultural heritage and get overlooked and underrated.

But despite having a similar metro and city population, it seems that St. Louis and probably Pittsburgh seem to be slightly more well known than Cincinnati.

I haven't been to Pittsburgh, but I have been to both STL and Cincy, and I think Cincy is a little more charming, fun, with a nicer riverfront, and a bit bigger and nicer downtown.

Is it St. Louis's beer empire of Bud-Anheuser-Busch or the ARCH that makes St. Louis a bit more well known in the US. and abroad?

For those of you who know both, What do you think?
I think the reason mainly for STL and Pittsburgh's higher popularity is eithe backwards unfair and irrational thinking, sports teams, beer, and size. Cincinnati is definitely on the map as Ive had only 1 person wonder where that is, (facepalm). But tbh people born in Cincinnati definitely like it more than transplants. Dont know why. I am from Los Angeles and moved here because of its potential, and like it here. I plan to leave here in maybe 3 years and see what Atlanta is like.

Every city deserves a chance and Cincinnati is definitely MUCH underrated.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
I'd say Pittsburgh because of sports, St. Louis because of the whole "gateway to the west" thing

Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 PM

976 posts, read 2,243,872 times
cincinnati is a much quieter and more conservative city than pittsburgh and st. louis. it is also lacking a major university that draws students from outside the region.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
The other large cities in Ohio don't help.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:51 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
STL and PITT sports teams are more popular, plus they are known for things like the arch (STL) and steel (PITT). I cant think of solid staples of the same popularity that Cincy is known for.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The other large cities in Ohio don't help.
That's true, although Pennsylvania and Missouri aren't "one city" states either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
STL and PITT sports teams are more popular, plus they are known for things like the arch (STL) and steel (PITT). I cant think of solid staples of the same popularity that Cincy is known for.
Yeah, those are the best reasons I can think of too. PIT and STL have something that comes to mind immediately when you think of them (steel, arch) and high sports profiles I've been to Cincy and found it a charming city, but if I were asked "What is Cincy nationally known for?" I'd scratch my head. This is probably unfair to Cincy but the last thing I can recall it being in the news for is the race riots ~10 years ago.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,871 times
Why is LA more known than SF? Dallas more known than Houston? Orlando more known than Jacksonville or Tampa?

You see some cities market themselves more than others, some cities like coke addicts take every opportunity they receive to make an ad and promote their city. Its done by incentives, popularity, and culture. Detroit has incentives appealing to film industry thus they choose to film there and not Saint Louis, etc. LA's culture is exported to the world, people from all over come to LA to see that culture and it adds to popularity.

Cincy doesn't do that, it promotes itself as a business town and nothing more. Pittsburgh and Saint Louis, Pittsburgh especially take opportunities to promote their city as much as they can from G20 summit to "most livable cities ranking" to elsewhere Cincy doesnt really do that. Saint Louis promotes its history through popular culture in books, TV shows, and folklore and Cincy doesn't.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:37 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Pittsburgh and St. Louis don't have a commerative coin honoring them like Cincinnati.

They were going to get a commem, congressmen saw to that, and the most famous thing about Cincy is being a music center?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City