Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 02:32 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never said I supported Iraq. However, with Iraq, that was a sovereign nation, so there wasn't a reason to attack. The "CSA" shot first, so the USA shot back. The "CSA" was not a sovereign nation, but a breakaway territory rebelling against the USA government, so in that instance, I have no sympathy for what happened. It was USA territory trying to break away. I don't support the secession of the Southern states. The big reason is in the Articles of Secession. Politicians were standing up and openly admitting that the reason they wanted to secede was to keep and maintain slavery. I am the descendant of slaves. I have NO reason to support such a secessionist movement.

States rights, well, the way I see it, slavery was the big reason people were clamoring for states rights, the right for states to allow slavery. Give me one reason why I should have agreed with the government staying out of it. As far as my family history is concerned, I don't have a reason.
I agree with you. I was asking the other guy (I quoted him).

Old 04-24-2011, 02:36 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I agree with you. I was asking the other guy (I quoted him).
Oops. My eyes must be more tired than I thought. I mistakenly thought you were responding to one of my posts. Sorry.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:08 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times
Quote:
It would not have helped me. That is exactly why I am glad the federal government stepped in. I am not saying race relations were any better north of the Mason-Dixon line. I am just saying I have no sympathy for what happened to the South, coming from my perspective as the descendant of slaves.
you don't have to have sympathy for the south. but that doesn't change the fact that the north had no legal right over the south as the south was lawful. that's all that matters. law doesn't have emotions.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Dude he's just a big crybaby. "Waaaaaa the government had no right! no right! they're just big bullies! it's not faaairr!" sorry buddy but that's how things go sometimes, you can get over it or not. For most of the rest of us out there, it hardly ever crosses our mind.
thanks for your genius insight.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
The US had no legal right to use force against Iraq in 2003 but they did it anyway and you are on record of supporting that debacle.
read a little. (http://www.usasurvival.org/docs/iraq_un.pdf) iraq violated 16 un security council resolutions. they violated it, not us. was the point of those resolutions for them NOT to follow them? what would have been the point of it if they didn't have to follow it?

Old 04-24-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
However, with Iraq, that was a sovereign nation, so there wasn't a reason to attack.
there was plenty of reason to attack. 16 reasons.

Quote:
The "CSA" shot first, so the USA shot back. The "CSA" was not a sovereign nation, but a breakaway territory rebelling against the USA government, so in that instance, I have no sympathy for what happened. It was USA territory trying to break away. I don't support the secession of the Southern states. The big reason is in the Articles of Secession. Politicians were standing up and openly admitting that the reason they wanted to secede was to keep and maintain slavery. I am the descendant of slaves. I have NO reason to support such a secessionist movement.
the csa shot first upon a union fort that was on confederate 'turf.' who would allow enemy establishment upon their land? only a complete idiot. the states legally seceded, there was no rebelling. and if the south was wrong for "rebelling" against its government, then why is the north also not seen as wrong for "rebelling" against the british?

Quote:
States rights, well, the way I see it, slavery was the big reason people were clamoring for states rights, the right for states to allow slavery. Give me one reason why I should have agreed with the government staying out of it. As far as my family history is concerned, I don't have a reason.
apparently, no reason will convince you to agree with states rights unless you agree with what that state is doing. which is typical of liberals.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:37 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post

the csa shot first upon a union fort that was on confederate 'turf.' who would allow enemy establishment upon their land? only a complete idiot. the states legally seceded, there was no rebelling. and if the south was wrong for "rebelling" against its government, then why is the north also not seen as wrong for "rebelling" against the british?

apparently, no reason will convince you to agree with states rights unless you agree with what that state is doing. which is typical of liberals.
It won't especially when the things being done in that state are oppressive.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:50 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post

I suppose you also don't agree with Miranda Warnings, the right to an attorney in criminal cases, the right to speak out against the gov't. See all those rights were restricted by states and only bestowed upon us by Supreme Court intervention.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
It won't especially when the things being done in that state are oppressive.
that doesn't change the fact that the south was in accordance with the law. there was slavery all over the world at one point or another. the north didn't have the legal right to step in and force their ideals upon the south, especially when we look at the hypocrisy of the north.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I suppose you also don't agree with Miranda Warnings, the right to an attorney in criminal cases, the right to speak out against the gov't. See all those rights were restricted by states and only bestowed upon us by Supreme Court intervention.
that depends on whether or not an issue's constitutional. miranda rights, as far as i know, were always and still are constitutional rights. if a state isn't in accordance with the constitution, then that's when the federal government has the right to step in.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 04-24-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City