Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
I'm a native of LA and now live in NYC and I do have to agree myself that at night downtown Houston and downtown LA look extremely similar in size and scope. BTW TMC reminds me of Century City and Upper Kirby is turning out to develop more like Wilshire.

Always liked Houston's skyline the drive in from Allen Parkway into downtown is enormous. I however dont like your uptown area, those buildings are too spread out and the buildings dont seem to come to the sidewalks on street corners but the collection of highrise buildings there is very nice.
You nailed my sentiments down exactly. Some guy was saying the other day that uptown is more impressive than downtown. Uptown has a nice collection of newer buildings yes, but they are two far apart, and don't have the variety of periods that downtown has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
While I find Dallas's goals impressive I cant help but ask why is Dallas building tracks in some very sparsely populated areas? Half of the ground they covered for that line in the video shows nothing but rural forest lands with no development even remotely close.

Dallas looks like they want to build the tracks and hope TODs and developers swarm in and build around the line... not a very good idea IMO
they are hoping for some majic to happen in those areas.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:46 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
In Las Colinas (Irving) that area is developed. Developers want to build around the stations, but they have to wait until the project is completed. The stations are around populated areas.
Los Colinas is a giving...and no most of the station are not around populated area. We will see if this development occurs.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:46 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
In Las Colinas (Irving) that area is developed. Developers want to build around the stations, but they have to wait until the project is completed. The stations are around populated areas.
No, the developers that want to build are already building. But Las Colinas is like th island of development. The Green Line runs through abandoned corridors. The ridership reflects that. The stations aren't around populated areas.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:45 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
No, the developers that want to build are already building. But Las Colinas is like th island of development. The Green Line runs through abandoned corridors. The ridership reflects that. The stations aren't around populated areas.
Dude. I been around the southen area of the green line. People do live in that area. Actually a lot of people live in that area. When the train goes through the great trinity forest there's no stops until it reaches the populated areas.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Dart could build the rail lines easier, cheaper and faster in those areas and over time they will create infill in areas that were depressed or otherwise would have not hindered any substantial development. I don't think its a bad idea. The intown neighborhoods are to be connected to Dart stations by streetcar lines in the future, the first line will be done by 2013. The whole Dallas area rail system is still new and evolving. With time I think people will be impressed with what was done.

* And as for Houston, it does have a massive skyline. Only a couple places in the US have bigger skylines. People need to not beat Houston down so much.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Los Colinas is a giving...and no most of the station are not around populated area. We will see if this development occurs.
It will. There's been developments in the works for years. They even have websites for the developments.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:15 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Dude. I been around the southen area of the green line. People do live in that area. Actually a lot of people live in that area. When the train goes through the great trinity forest there's no stops until it reaches the populated areas.
That section of the Green Line is desolate and they built it away from the people. People may live "near" the stations, but they aren't built conveniently. The Green Line north of Downtown Dallas is slightly better, but that's just because that side of town overall is more populated.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I notice you avoided my post if Charlotte “1.8 mil” is being used to represent a city it’s size 1.8 mil or larger, than Atlanta definitely feel it's size 5.2 mil or larger compare to Charlotte, feeling it's size. So I’m asking you are trying to use Charlotte as city, that feel like 1.8 mil? Then say Atlanta feel smaller than 5.2 mil? I going to enjoy this dabate.
-----------------------
Ok dude Atlanta with in city limits of Charlotte is about million while Charlotte is 700,000 something. With in 1,800 sq mi Metro Atlanta is more than twice the Charlotte entire metro area over 3,000 sq mi. Hell since you brought up Tampa I’m going use Tampa also. Tampa is 2,783,243 in 2,554 sq mi Atlanta is over 3,500,000 in just 1,800 sq mi. Houston is about 4 mil in 1,800 sq mi. Which city is Atlanta closer to again?

This is line that I straight up laugh on.

Your right Atlanta doesn’t have a CBD dramatically bigger than Downtown Charlotte instead Atlanta has 3 CBDs each independently about the size of charlotte only major CBD, plus 2 edge city CBD. “downtowns” Here in the US is usually used to reference the CBD of a city, but a bigger sunbelt cities have more than one CBD. So Downtown is just the name to the oldest one. Atlanta like other big sunbelt cities have multiple major CBDs and edges cities. So your going to fault Atlanta squarely on the one call DT, ignore the rest, compare it charlotte’s only then say Atlanta feel small for it’s size? WTF.

Charlotte center city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok I play your game

You mention this
Downtown Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ignored Midtown Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclpedia
Ignored Buckhead (Atlanta) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ignored Cumberland, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ignored Perimeter Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All of that is Metro Atlanta 5 major CBDs

But sure Atlanta dosen't feel 5 mil compared to Charlotte or Tampa...... Sure

Mecklengburg County(Charlotte) pop: 919,0000 area: 526 sqmiles

Fulton County(Atlanta) pop: 920,0000 area: 522 sq miles

Explain how Atlanta would have a million people in its city limits if it was Charlottes size???

Charlotte has also other business districts:

University City

Southpark

Ballantyne

Whitehall Commons

albeit none of them have skyscrapers due to a city ordinance restricting skyscrapers to uptown Charlotte

in fact as of right now Charlottes downtown is actually the largest in the southeast excluding Miami.....

The point our friend was trying to make whom you quoted is that due to a high percentage of Charlottes 1.8 million metro population living within one county the city itself feels bigger then its 1.8 million metro as opposed to the city of Atlanta having a low percentage of people actually living in the city versus the metro with its 5 million people.... Houston and Dallas also have a higher number of people in their metros living in the actual cities themselves as opposed to Atlanta....

Old 05-16-2011, 10:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Mecklengburg County(Charlotte) pop: 919,0000 area: 526 sqmiles

Fulton County(Atlanta) pop: 920,0000 area: 522 sq miles

Explain how Atlanta would have a million people in its city limits if it was Charlottes size???

Charlotte has also other business districts:

University City

Southpark

Ballantyne

Whitehall Commons

albeit none of them have skyscrapers due to a city ordinance restricting skyscrapers to uptown Charlotte

in fact as of right now Charlottes downtown is actually the largest in the southeast excluding Miami.....

The point our friend was trying to make whom you quoted is that due to a high percentage of Charlottes 1.8 million metro population living within one county the city itself feels bigger then its 1.8 million metro as opposed to the city of Atlanta having a low percentage of people actually living in the city versus the metro with its 5 million people.... Houston and Dallas also have a higher number of people in their metros living in the actual cities themselves as opposed to Atlanta....

Atlanta as a city DOES feel considerably larger than Charlotte - these huge land area cities are basically useless for population comparisons.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
lol, you all are a bunch of size queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City