Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 164 48.24%
New York 176 51.76%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:10 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That's true. I never consider color when I think of things. I'm either not racist or stupid. XD

Elmira does have urban areas, but I know quite a few folks there who are just... country. Probably doesn't help that the city is largely dead.
Yeah, I understand what you mean by Elmira being country.

With NC, you can get some small/rural towns that are highly or mostly Black, whereas a similar community like Lyons or Sodus, would have a high Black population by NY standards and most states outside of the South(save for some Midwestern states).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 02:38 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I understand what you mean by Elmira being country.

With NC, you can get some small/rural towns that are highly or mostly Black, whereas a similar community like Lyons or Sodus, would have a high Black population by NY standards and most states outside of the South(save for some Midwestern states).
This is true. The south does have a much more widely distributed black population. The north tends to be more black and white (pun?).

I think the first time Watkins Glen ever saw a black person living there was 1997. XD

Old 05-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
This is true. The south does have a much more widely distributed black population. The north tends to be more black and white (pun?).

I think the first time Watkins Glen ever saw a black person living there was 1997. XD
I think the North is more ethnic and is ahead of the South in terms of Hispanics and Asians forming communities. Blacks are largely urban in Northern states. For instance, Ithaca is about 16-17% Asian and Dunkirk, as well as Amsterdam is about 20% Hispanic. All have had said communities for a while too.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 PM

20 posts, read 30,164 times
Quote:

Yes, blacks are everywhere in the south. But whenever I go to Atlanta or Charlotte, I get the impression they are concentrated in certain areas.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRay View Post
Yes, blacks are everywhere in the south. But whenever I go to Atlanta or Charlotte, I get the impression they are concentrated in certain areas.
I think that is the case with any city due to historic residential patterns and people migrating from a common place to a city.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:28 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think that is the case with any city due to historic residential patterns and people migrating from a common place to a city.

Blacks in Atlanta live everywhere and anywhere they want to just like anyone else.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Blacks in Atlanta live everywhere and anywhere they want to just like anyone else.
I think what the poster is saying is in terms of concentration. Black people live everywhere in my area and pretty much most areas, but there are areas of each city/metro with a relatively higher concentration than most or is historically viewed in that way.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM

240 posts, read 559,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i love north carolina to death but i think new york just has more; mountains, great lakes, the thousand islands seaway, long island, the hamptons, erie canal, niagara falls, finger lakes, hudson river, lake placid, and new york city. how many other states have one of the seven natural wonders of the world? no matter what state you compare it to, it's hard to beat it especially when new york can throw nyc's weight around at the end.

mountains

great lakes

thousand islands

long island

the hamptons

erie canal

niagara falls

finger lakes

letchworth

hudson

lake placid

I would definitely agree with you 100%

Old 03-13-2012, 04:37 PM

240 posts, read 559,197 times
Quote:

I have noticed that big time. I have gone to other places where you hardly see any.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:22 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
I have noticed that big time. I have gone to other places where you hardly see any.
The large black population throughout most of the South as compared to say mostly cities in the North and West probably has more to do with the history of slavery in this country. However even in the South, there tends to be less blacks in certain areas like the mountains.

The large wealthy slave owners had the majority of slaves and they tended to avoid certain hard to farm areas like the Appalchian Mountains. Instead, it was a poorer white population who moved to the mountains areas now called Appalachia. They had few or no slaves. And you also had a very small surviving Indian population, the eastern band of Cherokees.

Of course this was many years ago and people have been moving around. But even today you can still how slavery effected the settlement patterns of the United States. Harder to see but just as real is the effect slavery had on people, and especially on black Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City