Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:43 AM

221 posts, read 797,933 times

Advertisements

My votes go to:

NYC, San Francisco, and New Orleans. 3 truly world-class food cities.

Most overrated city for food: Chicago.

Italian beef aint that great, don't like celery salt, and I prefer NYC style pizza. Not mention, the diversity and freshness of food in SF and NYC blows Chicago out of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 03:55 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
My votes go to:

Italian beef aint that great, don't like celery salt, and I prefer NYC style pizza. Not mention, the diversity and freshness of food in SF and NYC blows Chicago out of the water.
I disagree.

Chicago has great pizza and overall food

I would put Chicago ahead of SF

Old 05-09-2009, 04:09 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,711 times
Seattle has great food if you like fresh produce, seafood , game and gourmet ethnic food.
If you like junk food or mom and pop ethnic food of every possible variety, there is no place like LA.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,151 times
IMO, San Francisco is the most consistant food city Ive ever been too. It has great Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Middle-Eastern, Seafood, cheap street eats, fine dining...Also, districts like the Marina and the Mission are just packed with amazing restaurants. From what Ive heard from people who have lived in both SF and Chicago, Chicago beats it for pizza, sandwiches, and hot dogs. But for everything else (sushi, mexican, seafood, chinese, American fine dining, etc.) San Francisco wins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I disagree.

Chicago has great pizza and overall food

I would put Chicago ahead of SF

Old 05-09-2009, 06:55 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Major Cities with great food

NY and Chicago....pizza
Philly....cheesesteaks
Atlanta and Birmingham...great southern food
Houston and San Antonio......Southwestern style dishes
Seattle and SF....Chinese

Those are some of the areas in which I have experienced good food.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,259 times
Quote:
My votes go to:

Oh I LOVE Italian Beef...I've never had real NYC pizza, but loved Chicago's Deep Dish...We had alot of great food in Chicago

Old 05-09-2009, 07:28 AM

793 posts, read 1,452,720 times
On the US Level:

1. NYC: Offers the best variety ranging from Ethnic to High End, there is not one ethnic variety of food that is not represented in NY.

2. SF: Like NYC great variety and has the advantage of having a longer growing season for local cuisine. Also there is a reason why the Michelin board only has a report for SF and NYC, both cities set the trend in the country when it comes to fine dining.

3. Los Angeles: Like SF has the advantage of a longer growing season and great produce available year round. Represents itself quite nicely in many ethnic varieties (Thai, Korean, Vietnamese) and most notably Mexican cooking where you can find up to 30 different types of regional Mexican cuisine.

4. New Orleans: Pre or Post Katrina NOLA has been a trend setter in the US restaurant scene. Unmatched nationwide when it comes to Creole and Cajun cooking. Great produce year round and access to the gulf that produces great Oysters, Soft Shell Crab and Crawfish. In addition it is one of the premier and trendsetting cities for cocktail craft.

5. Chicago/Boston: 5th is a tie in my opinion. Chicago like NYC has such a great variety of ethnic and regional favorites (Great Mexican, Thai, Polish, Swedish) also having access in the summer to all the great produce in the midwest is helpful also. Boston is also in the mix because first and foremost having unmatched access to Northern Atlantic seafood. The variety of Oysters that you see at the restaurants are unmatched nationwide. In addition many of the High End restaurants are cooking at a Michelin star level (Read the reviews on O YA and L'Espalier for example) You will also find certain ethnic varieties that are rare elsewhere- Cape Verdan, Nepalese, Cambodian (only other place is Cali) and Portuguese that is not even available in NYC to the extent it is in Boston. Also Food and Wine and Esquire magazine think Boston is becoming the 2nd best cocktail craft city in the nation after NOLA.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
I agree with Mattncind, especially on LA. LA is definitely on the top list for food, especially if you're talking huge varieties of foods from different regions/cultures from around the world. Mexican food of all types is obviously major, but so, too, are the Chinese options, and I've been to some pretty good Armenian places.

It's hard to find good pizza in LA or SF. It's there, but you have to look really hard.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:32 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,068 times
Quote:
My votes go to:

LOL--so in other words, this whole thread is a basis for you to slam Chicago. Nicely done.

GQ rated Chicago the number one city for food. Forbes rated us number two. Who cares though? I would rather chomp on a dog dragged through the garden than foie gras or caviar anyway. You don't find me many of Chicago's (many, many) fine dining restaurants. They are a little too pretentious for my taste.

The one place I got the best service, and food, was at McCormick & Schmick's in Philly. We had this server named Ron. If you ever get a chance to go there, ask for him by name. It was the greatest dining experience I have ever enjoyed, no joke.

In the Chi, the Tavern on Rush is great. It's even greater if you have Mafia ties. Then you get all the VIP treatment.

So anyway, back to you insulting Chicago?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:38 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,296,932 times
San Francisco is the most overrated city for food in the country! If you like mediocre food at crowded restaurants with lackadaisical service this is the place for you. The worst is the Mexican food in SF. Every burrito stuffed with cheap filler rice. This is not found anywhere else in California. The Mexican food in San Diego is 10 times better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City