Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Chicago has gyros.
THat's all I need.
Chicago wins.

Gyros? Gyros are everywhere nowadays. Unlike Chicago there are real street food vendors in New York. You can get roasted nuts and hotdogs but also gyros and souvlaki (there is a stand in Astoria that is opened 24 x 7 ), chow fun noodles and other Chinese specialities in Chinatown (my favorite stand at Centre and Canal) and then spanish variety all over the city. Chicago banned street food due to health concerns but its own Taste Of Chicago poisoned hundred with Salmonella last year

Hard to grab a quick bite in Chicago, not that many pizza places offering single slices and no hot-dog stands.... After midnight you can only count on McD and 7-11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:17 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,212,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Yeah, Mayor Daley put a ban on street vendors downtown, you can find a few street vendors in Pilson, Maxwell St., and a few other areas but they are not too common.
I said Chi is second more based on the offering of "street food" not really the on the accessability of it.
Well in that case, Philly would definitely be second.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:19 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,242,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Gyros? Gyros are everywhere nowadays. Unlike Chicago there are real street food vendors in New York. You can get roasted nuts and hotdogs but also gyros and souvlaki (there is a stand in Astoria that is opened 24 x 7 ), chow fun noodles and other Chinese specialities in Chinatown (my favorite stand at Centre and Canal) and then spanish variety all over the city. Chicago banned street food due to health concerns but its own Taste Of Chicago poisoned hundred with Salmonella last year

Hard to grab a quick bite in Chicago, not that many pizza places offering single slices and no hot-dog stands.... After midnight you can only count on McD and 7-11.
Gyros where introduced in Chicago and they are the best ever. They suck anywhere else.

We do have pizza joints where there are slices sold.

There are places opened late at night.

Our hot dogs are better then yours.
We have a China town too.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:25 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post

McD's and 7-11??

There's only 2 McD's that I know of near my. One on Clark and (Wrightwood?) and then one right by Wrigley.

There's tons of Mexican joints open all night, hot dog joints and pizza joints. There's lots of places open late. Since you said you lived in Lincoln Park () then there are tons of places open late by you.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
McD's and 7-11??

There's only 2 McD's that I know of near my. One on Clark and (Wrightwood?) and then one right by Wrigley.

There's tons of Mexican joints open all night, hot dog joints and pizza joints. There's lots of places open late. Since you said you lived in Lincoln Park () then there are tons of places open late by you.
theres 2 places cross the street in greektown on halsted that sell gyros 24/7 ...tbk, flash taco, chicago pizza, several diners (white castle, hollywood, a few in lv and lp, a few in wicker/bucktown) are all also open 24/7 or until like 5am off the top of my head.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:30 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,212,222 times
Quote:
They suck anywhere else.
I sincerely doubt that...

Old 05-11-2009, 05:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
theres 2 places cross the street in greektown on halsted that sell gyros 24/7 ...tbk, flash taco, chicago pizza, several diners (white castle, hollywood, a few in lv and lp, a few in wicker/bucktown) are all also open 24/7 or until like 5am off the top of my head.
I guess he'd actually have to be living in Chicago to know these facts ha ha

Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Gyros where introduced in Chicago and they are the best ever. They suck anywhere else.
Yeah, right. No they were introduced in Greece however the same brand frozen gyros suck everywhere else but not in Chicago
BTW. Gyros are with made with lamb, not beef...

[quote=Venom;8761697]We do have pizza joints where there are slices sold.

Yes you do. But in New York there are pizzerias almost on every corner and MOST of them sell pizza by the slice. In Chicago is not that easy

Quote:
Right. McDonalds, Arbys and 7-11

Quote:
Right. Generic Vienna dog in Chicago is better than let's say in Kantucky

Quote:
Right. You call those three city blocks Chinatown?

You forgot to add that you have a baseball team, too. And it sucks.

Can Chicago be even more pretentious?. LOL

Old 05-11-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
McD's and 7-11??

Late meaning past midnight?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 PM

633 posts, read 1,443,101 times
Quote:

We do have pizza joints where there are slices sold.

Gyros, Italian Beef, giardinara pizza (thin crust as well as deep dish), hot dogs, combos, polishes, Italian sausage, Italian Lemonade, Polish food, ribs and b-b-q, the list of Chicago "street food" that can only be found here goes on and on. We can debate the upper echelons of haute dining, but for me it Chicago all the way, for the above reasons.

That being said, NY hot dogs are super delicious, and few things top an authentic Philly cheesesteak. I tried to find one in Chicago, and I was sorely disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City