Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
This is bull. It lists where the bottle was bottled at and where the location of local Coke headquarters is. No Coca Cola bottle outside of the United States has Atlanta listed anywhere.

They do not use initials for DC in most languages, they use "Washington" in the news or "American White House".
Um..okay..Actually when I was stationed in Saudi Arabia products were often imported from the U.S. instead of directly coming from a bottler.hose that came from the U.S. were clearly marked Atlanta Georgia so I guess I assumed that they all were.Its not that serious.It still does not change the fact that there ar other things including Coke that people may know Atlanta from.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:39 AM

739 posts, read 1,187,409 times
i'm thinking maybe cities that have numerous foreign consulates would have name recognition outside of the U.S. *shrugs* i dunno....

Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
i'm thinking maybe cities that have numerous foreign consulates would have name recognition outside of the U.S. *shrugs* i dunno....
Well I know both Houston and Atlanta are well known by Nigerians and Kenyans.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:01 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Ran this one by my cousins in Holland:

NYC
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Washington
Saint Louis
Chicago
Miami

Maybe Boston, Seattle, Philadelphia and Orlando

Houston via NASA
Atlanta, Lake Placid and Salt Lake via the Olympics

Old 05-03-2011, 12:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The 5 areas I mentioned are the largest Mexican communities by pure number, not to be confused with total Hispanic population. The IE gets lumped with LA more times than not.

But you are absolutely correct. Latino's are more spread out. There are actually many areas where there are more than one million Latino's:

Los Angeles/Inland Empire: 7,697,264
New York: 4,327,560
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 2,312,929
Houston: 2,099,412
Chicago: 1,957,080
Dallas/Fort Worth: 1,752,166
San Francisco/San Jose: 1,449,190
Phoenix: 1,235,718
San Antonio: 1,158,148
San Diego: 991,348

Now if you compare that with Asians:

Los Angeles/Inland Empire: 2,352,018
New York: 2,000,992
San Francisco/San Jose: 1,735,133
Washington/Baltimore: 722,144
Honolulu: 658,866
Chicago: 586,214
Seattle: 490,579
Houston: 417,415
San Diego: 397,551
Dallas/Fort Worth: 377,958

There is a lot more of a concentration on the coasts with Asians. What actually caught me off guard in looking at these numbers was the DC Area. They had some sort of Asian explosion!

But to tie it back to the OP's question, does this data tie into how well a city known abroad? I would be inclined to say no. Look at Las Vegas. Its more well known than probably every other city in the US (save NYC, LA, Miami, and maybe San Francisco), yet its does not attract near the number of international residents that the cities on these lists do. Ill also thrown another one out. I know we differ on the whole Dallas/Houston which one is more known thing, but I think we would both agree that Atlanta is probably more well known in name than either Texas city. Yet, Atlanta does not attract nearly the number of Latino residents and it also lags behind DFW and Houston in the number of Asian residents it attracts (by about 20% over the course of 10 years).

In my opinion, at the end of the day, things like popular culture do more for name recognition than demographics.
Oh yeah, from my first post I correct the ones who said that places like Boston were known for schools and Chicago for buildings. I said from the start that its pop culture that is responsible for international notoriety.

As for Atl and hispanics, it is all a matter of history. Hispanics like other groups go where they have a history. Now that ATL is developing more of a history with Hispanics and Asians their numbers will increase.
Places like Alabama has booming hispanic numbers now.

On the Hispanics in Miami that was just a side issue that your numbers highlight. The Mexican Population make up 65% of all Hispanics in the US. That is 32M out of 48M hispanics and out of that 48M Miami accounts for only 2M or 4% of all hispanics. Pretty impressive for a metro, but I was just pointing out that Miami could not be put in the same position for latinos that the west Coast is for Asians because it is just two different leagues. The west coast has half the nation's Asians while Miami is just a metro and its percentage is only 4%. I think it would have been more proper to say that states like California, Texas, Florida and NY would be the biggest on their radar, instead of just saying Miami

Old 05-03-2011, 12:38 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Chicago- I doubt people would look at a building and say oh, thats chicago. The Bulls is chicago's biggest brand. Outsiders know of it because the bulls were big for a long time
Ehhh really? I'd say the skyscrapers are easily the most recognizable thing about Chicago...I would think that would be the case for most people. The Bulls are very well-known, but not as much as the skyline...

Quote:
Boston- who on earth knows where Harvard and all those schools are? I do agree that Boston has a lot of name recognition internationally, but not because people know the schools are there. Their biggest brand is the Celtics.
I know it's NBA playoff time, but dude you're nuts. The Celtics aren't even the biggest sports name in Boston. That's easily the Red Sox. I think it's very well-known that Harvard and MIT are located in Boston.

Quote:
Atlanta- no where on the coke bottles or in the commercials is ATL mentioned. Also no one associates gone with the wind with ATL. ATL's biggest brands are Music (not just rap, Arista/ Laface had a lot of ATL based musicians) and TV shows.
I agree with the "Gone With the Wind" thing, but I think Coke it pretty well associated with Atlanta...you may be right about it not being so on a global scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I would say Denver is in the top 5. Everywhere I go in the world everyone has heard of Denver.
Absolutely not.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Now if you compare that with Asians:

Los Angeles/Inland Empire: 2,352,018
New York: 2,000,992
San Francisco/San Jose: 1,735,133
Washington/Baltimore: 722,144
Honolulu: 658,866
Chicago: 586,214
Seattle: 490,579
Houston: 417,415
San Diego: 397,551
Dallas/Fort Worth: 377,958
another side note.

When Did DC pass Chicago and Honululu? Heard talk about Houston passing San Diego but didn't know that DC was making such progress up the list.
Okay, just noticed you combined DC with Baltimore and SJ with SF (was wondering where SJ went).

Honolulu seems like it is distancing itself from Chicago.
Seattle's numbers seem to be quite higher than the old ACS estimate.
DFW is catching up to SD too.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
But people outside the US care about the Rockets???? Major fail.
Win. Most people in the US don't even know about the Rockets, let alone the world.

I may be totally off the mark, but I feel like the Texas name totally overshadows Dallas and Houston both.

P.S. JustMe, how do you like Sampa?

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-03-2011 at 01:15 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Ehhh really? I'd say the skyscrapers are easily the most recognizable thing about Chicago...I would think that would be the case for most people. The Bulls are very well-known, but not as much as the skyline...

I know it's NBA playoff time, but dude you're nuts. The Celtics aren't even the biggest sports name in Boston. That's easily the Red Sox. I think it's very well-known that Harvard and MIT are located in Boston.

I agree with the "Gone With the Wind" thing, but I think Coke it pretty well associated with Atlanta...you may be right about it not being so on a global scale.

Absolutely not.
I dunno if the Chicago skyline is that well known outside the US. I am here and I would only guess it is Chicago because I KNOW that it could only be one of two places in the US. If I don't see the Sears Tower somewhere or the J hancock, I don't know it is chicago. Further more neither of those buildings are as iconic as the Chrysler or Empire State building.

as for the Sox, I have already admitted twice that i forgot about them.

As for Harvard or MIT I disagree with you. Like someone else said, just like most people cannot point out where Cambridge or Oxford is on the map the same goes the other way around. Someone in Geneva was swearing to me that Stanford was near Washington DC. These school are popular worldwide, but not a wide swath of people know where they are located.

I checked out some coke bottles and some say atl some list where they were bottled. I have one that has SF, I have another that said it was Bottled by Josepine Gabrielle and Co, Coca Cola gives permission to bottlers all over the world and ATL's isn't required to be stamped on the bottle. I guess if you near ATL, your bottle will say ATL. If you are in Mexico it will say Mexico, If you are in Bulgaria it will say Bulgaria. Don't know how that can give more notoriety to ATL than The Real housewives of ATL? LoL, everyone knows NeNe

Old 05-03-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I dunno if the Chicago skyline is that well known outside the US. I am here and I would only guess it is Chicago because I KNOW that it could only be one of two places in the US. If I don't see the Sears Tower somewhere or the J hancock, I don't know it is chicago. Further more neither of those buildings are as iconic as the Chrysler or Empire State building.
I guess I can agree with this. I've always felt the Chicago skyline was very well known though...

Quote:
as for the Sox, I have already admitted twice that i forgot about them.
Yea I actually replied before reading through the rest of the thread, otherwise I would have left that out since it had already been mentioned. My bad on that.

Quote:
As for Harvard or MIT I disagree with you. Like someone else said, just like most people cannot point out where Cambridge or Oxford is on the map the same goes the other way around. Someone in Geneva was swearing to me that Stanford was near Washington DC. These school are popular worldwide, but not a wide swath of people know where they are located.
I get what you're saying, but I feel like Boston is different because it's not the home of one elite school...it's home of the elite school along with another one of the top 5-10 schools in the world. I believe Boston has an international reputation for its higher education (even if most of the schools outside of MIT and Harvard aren't as recognized internationally).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City