Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

LOL at the Seattle/Denver alike comparisons. IMO they are nothing alike.

OP, if you like Denver that much, you shouldn't want to live somewhere else, as you won't find anywhere else similar enough to compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:41 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

Couldn't agree more. Seattle is hillier,greener, has water and mountains on two sides and a whole lot more trees.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

OP, if you like Denver that much, you shouldn't want to live somewhere else, as you won't find anywhere else similar enough to compare.
Well, I actually agree with this statement.! But....Iwould also like to try something new and alittle different. But I still want some of the same things.

Can anyone tell me more about SLC and Minneapolis. They both sound like good places that are close enough to being like Denver, but arent.

Thanks for every response so far.!!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:48 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
There are a lot of progressive things happening in Salt Lake City. These projects got my attention....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/urban...-makeover.html

Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Couldn't agree more. Seattle is hillier,greener, has water and mountains on two sides and a whole lot more trees.
Sure Denver isn't as green as Seattle because Seattle's weather compared to Denver's is straight out crap(overcast,rain and gloomy). Denver is straight out blue clear skies almost year round (lower precip) with a real summer..How about Seattle LOL. When I fly from Seattle back home to Southern California or the Denver area where I am from I kiss the ground. Seattle is beautiful but the weather plain and simple sucks. Denver is clear and sunny almost year round on a very consistant basis while Seattle suffers a solid cloud cover and drizzle much of the year. Denver really doesn't have any true exact peers when it comes to vibe and layout.

Last edited by Scott5280; 05-17-2011 at 03:39 AM..

Old 05-17-2011, 11:30 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
I'm a Denver native who currently resides in Colorado Springs. I lived in Salt Lake for 12 years in the '50's and '60's. My opinion is that Colorado Springs feels more like SLC than Denver. Especially considering the closeness to the mountains and the religious/conservative element. Denver feels more like Kansas City or MSP to me.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:58 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
To start off...I would like to say thatt, I would have done this in the Denver Fourm but...That fourm is kind of dead right now.
As for my question..Can anybody tell me of a place that is extremely similar (if not exacly like) Denver.? I really like Denver. The Vibe, The weather, the Outdoors. I find it hard to find a city like this. I would like to leave Denver (Ive been here for most of my life) to try something new, while expiriencing some of the same thing (if that makes any sense).
While I was in Salt Lake City, I happen to make a comparison of the two cities (Denver And SLC) and I pretty much got yelled at by a long time resident of the city, and they told me "The two cities are nothing a like.!! Thats an insult." <---what that person said was actually astounding, because I found SLC to be so much like Denver in many ways. I would think that comparing a larger city to a smaller city would be a complimet, rather than an insult. Ive also been to Minneapolis many times, and found the twin cities to be much like denver, just without the Mountains and different climates.
Does anyone have any insight on anything I just said.?
I have always thought that SLC is a carbon copy of Denver only half the size and more conservative. I would also agree with Minneapolis and would probably add Portland and San Diego has some similar characteristics.

I'm not sure there would be any others.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
There are a lot of progressive things happening in Salt Lake City. These projects got my attention....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/urban...-makeover.html
Salt Lake has a large mall/lifestyle center being built, but the LDS Church is building it, yes it is a nice project being built by a Church with a lot of $$$, but it is being built by a religous institution to bring life into downtown SLC which is otherwise pretty quiet, it is kind of like sparking life into downtown SLC that a lot of other cities already have, so in that respect I would not call it a makeover other cities could only dream of if those other cities already have their downtown vibe. Projects like this one take away from streetlevel stores and restaurants because everyone wants to be in the big new fancy mall being built. IMO, cities with no downtown lifestyle mall thingy but that have a strong retail and restaurant presence at streetlevel spread out along blocks and blocks have it made.

Back to the comparisons, SLC and Denver may have some similarities because they are in states with similar topography, both cities are by the Rocky Mountains, but that is about all that is similar about them. I agree SLC is more like Colorado Springs but has a larger downtown and skyline. Denver is at a level of big city that SLC will probably never achieve in most of our lifetimes.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
Calgary, even though it's in another country.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Sure Denver isn't as green as Seattle because Seattle's weather compared to Denver's is straight out crap(overcast,rain and gloomy). Denver is straight out blue clear skies almost year round (lower precip) with a real summer..How about Seattle LOL. When I fly from Seattle back home to Southern California or the Denver area where I am from I kiss the ground. Seattle is beautiful but the weather plain and simple sucks. Denver is clear and sunny almost year round on a very consistant basis while Seattle suffers a solid cloud cover and drizzle much of the year. Denver really doesn't have any true exact peers when it comes to vibe and layout.
Yeah, except Denver goes from 70 degrees to 30 degrees in one day. Constantly. Denver also can have snowfall in May and in September. Sure, more sunshine than Seattle, but a Carrie-like climate where you must keep your winter coat and summer gear at the ready most of the year. Yikes. I prefer my hometown, where atleast you know what you are going to get from day to day. But, to each his/her own.

As for comparable cities to Denver...I agree with others, Calgary is the best example. In the U.S., not many are comparable. Denver is unique in many ways, probably the two elements that make it that way are the elevation, and the fact that there are no major cities nearby. Even Salt Lake City is almost 500 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City