Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Ignorance. It is hard for people from dense urban cities to believe that many of the same amenities can exist in Sunbelt cities and it is hard for people from Sunbelt cities to believe that there is a certain vibrancy that cannot be duplicated when a city is car-centric.

Actually I think this is one of the best posts in a while - both sides are stubburn in this regard and at the core these aspects are what a lot of the bantor is about

Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
No one said it was safe. That has nothing to do with saying the area suffers from extreme poverty, which it does not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
But Sharpstown isn't a place for extreme poverty. I understand your trying to prove a point, but it's kinda failing. Plus the pictures you posted are in uninhabited areas. No one even lives in those houses.
I'm so busted. All the areas I mentioned, especially Sharpstown, are garden oases. And abandoned properties are great urban amenities - it couldn't be because they finally became so uninhabitable that they got condemned.

You have made your point: there is no poverty in Houston. How could I have lived there for so long and be so uninformed of my surroundings.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually I think this is one of the best posts in a while - both sides are stubburn in this regard and at the core these aspects are what a lot of the bantor is about
Not really. No one here ever stated Houston is this vibrant, walkable city filled with tons of energy and urbanity. We realize our flaws and acknowledge them, It's you guys who keep downplaying what Houston offers. The first post in this thread was ignorant within itself.

Every time Houston comes up; here come rolling in on your red carpet bringing up that annoying density stuff. We get it. Yet, that has nothing to do with the topic. These threads are created to bring negativity and shame on Sunbelt cities. The agenda is very obvious.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
You pull out one exception in one part of one neighborhood and then pretend like the rest of the post is suspect - which it isn't. Are any of those good areas? No. Are there still other areas that could be mentioned? Yep.

Besides, Sharpstown is far from being a nice area, and the areas surrounding it are garbage - I certainly wouldn't live there.
My only point is that extreme poverty is not rampant in about half of those neighborhoods he named. I don't know what you're talking about.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I'm so busted. All the areas I mentioned, especially Sharpstown, are garden oases. And abandoned properties are great urban amenities - it couldn't be because they finally became so uninhabitable that they got condemned.

You have made your point: there is no poverty in Houston. How could I have lived there for so long and be so uninformed of my surroundings.
Don't be so dramatic. You just need to understand the difference between a rough area and a true slum.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Idk, maybe you were temporarily blind??? All joking aside; I never stated poverty doesn't exist in Houston. However, Sharpstown is not it. Crime infested?? Yes.

Houston has plenty of poverty though; we never disputed that.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:04 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Don't be so dramatic. You just need to understand the difference between a rough area and a true slum.
I'm clear. I'll stand by my posts.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Not really. No one here ever stated Houston is this vibrant, walkable city filled with tons of energy and urbanity. We realize our flaws and acknowledge them, It's you guys who keep downplaying what Houston offers. The first post in this thread was ignorant within itself.

Every time Houston comes up; here come rolling in on your red carpet bringing up that annoying density stuff. We get it. Yet, that has nothing to do with the topic. These threads are created to bring negativity and shame on Sunbelt cities. The agenda is very obvious.

Have you read what many Houston posters write on here?

And also did you read my comments to the OP?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I'm clear. I'll stand by my posts.
You must have lived a mostly sheltered life if you honesly think Sharpstown is an area of extreme poverty.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Have you read what many Houston posters write on here?

And also did you read my comments to the OP?
Yes I've read this whole post and nobody ever stated Houston was as urban or vibrant as Philly. I'm not getting where people are getting that from. I'd say Houstonians have the been the more sensible ones in this thread; excluding Htown, but he's on meds so he can't help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City