Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times

Advertisements

What I find amusing about all the city vs city threads is that when it is a sunbelt city against a more "urban" city it always stirs great debate. And the comments, views and perspectives from both sides are quite sharply contrasted. Just about every single category is immeasurably debated, from amenities to weather to education to history to poverty to skylines and crime rates. It's ludicrous! But go take a look at Seattle vs San Diego thread and its hardly a debate. It's people just making smiley faces. Or put Philadelphia vs Seattle, Philadelphia vs Boston, or any city of that sort and its hardly a debate. I wonder why that is.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 PM

153 posts, read 526,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
No one said it was safe. That has nothing to do with saying the area suffers from extreme poverty, which it does not.
jm has made his point clear. Philly's poverty level is on par with Houston's. It is hard for me to believe that he has spent any time in these areas because being in Houston for 25 years, he should know these areas are not as bad as Philly's. Like I have said before, those neighborhoods are basically minority dominated working class areas with some tough blocks/apartment complexes here and there. I cannot imagine how someone is afraid of Sharpstown at night but they live/work close and drive through some of the roughest hoods in the United States without fear.

For the record, I have nothing against Philly and I like the grit in some ways because it is different. But I do have a problem with people labeling places like Philly as some type of urban oasis and labeling Houston as a dump or a suburb. Anyone that has spent considerable time in both cities ghettos will know that Philly is rougher, not only visually, but statistically. In addition, the high density of impovished neighborhoods make everything worse in the form of housing, oppurtunities, and chances of being mugged or worse. Density is good if everyone is well off but can be bad if everybody is looking to rob you!! Houston DOES NOT HAVE THAT TYPE OF DESPERATION! and for me that is a good thing. But I guess as long as you pass up those bad areas(probably at least half the city-correct me if wrong) and ignore their existance, than I guess Philly is an urban oasis that stands as an example of what an American city has to be.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:30 PM

285 posts, read 567,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Many of these neighborhoods do not suffer from extreme poverty. Whoever told you this lied.

This is Sharpstown:

sharpstown houston tx - Google Maps

....what a slum. It sounds like you might just be pulling these names from nowhere.
You pull out one exception in one part of one neighborhood and then pretend like the rest of the post is suspect - which it isn't. Are any of those good areas? No. Are there still other areas that could be mentioned? Yep.

Besides, Sharpstown is far from being a nice area, and the areas surrounding it are garbage - I certainly wouldn't live there.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
jm has made his point clear. Philly's poverty level is on par with Houston's. It is hard for me to believe that he has spent any time in these areas because being in Houston for 25 years, he should know these areas are not as bad as Philly's. Like I have said before, those neighborhoods are basically minority dominated working class areas with some tough blocks/apartment complexes here and there. I cannot imagine how someone is afraid of Sharpstown at night but they live/work close and drive through some of the roughest hoods in the United States without fear.

For the record, I have nothing against Philly and I like the grit in some ways because it is different. But I do have a problem with people labeling places like Philly as some type of urban oasis and labeling Houston as a dump or a suburb. Anyone that has spent considerable time in both cities ghettos will know that Philly is rougher, not only visually, but statistically. In addition, the high density of impovished neighborhoods make everything worse in the form of housing, oppurtunities, and chances of being mugged or worse. Density is good if everyone is well off but can be bad if everybody is looking to rob you!! Houston DOES NOT HAVE THAT TYPE OF DESPERATION! and for me that is a good thing. But I guess as long as you pass up those bad areas(probably at least half the city-correct me if wrong) and ignore their existance, than I guess Philly is an urban oasis that stands as an example of what an American city has to be.

Well if ever I choose to live in a ghetto I will give strong consideration to Houston, until that time...

Also if i want to travel and see better ghettos I will also add houston to that list, until that time...

Some of this is perspective, poverty is poverty

And perspective can be different just as preference

Just curious if you think this area looks like a ghetto or impoverished?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.055017&z=14

I will tell you I have spent a considerable amount of time in WV and honestly while visually some areas dont look as bad personally I feel more scared there than a Philly ghetto - I think a lot of that has to do with what you are used to and what is your comfort zone.

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-24-2011 at 01:16 PM..

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
What I find amusing about all the city vs city threads is that when it is a sunbelt city against a more "urban" city it always stirs great debate. And the comments, views and perspectives from both sides are quite sharply contrasted. Just about every single category is immeasurably debated, from amenities to weather to education to history to poverty to skylines and crime rates. It's ludicrous! But go take a look at Seattle vs San Diego thread and its hardly a debate. It's people just making smiley faces. Or put Philadelphia vs Seattle, Philadelphia vs Boston, or any city of that sort and its hardly a debate. I wonder why that is.
And this is why I said I don't know why Southern cities are mentioned here in the city vs city forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
B]Anyone that has spent considerable time in both cities ghettos will know that Philly is rougher[/b]
Will Smith didn't write the theme song to Fresh Prince of Bel Air for nothing.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:35 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Ignorance. It is hard for people from dense urban cities to believe that many of the same amenities can exist in Sunbelt cities and it is hard for people from Sunbelt cities to believe that there is a certain vibrancy that cannot be duplicated when a city is car-centric.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:39 PM

153 posts, read 526,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well if ever I choose to live in a ghetto I will give strong consideration to Houston, until that time...

Also if i want to travel and see better ghettos I will also add houston to that list, until that time...

front and girard - Google Maps
No it doesnt

Old 05-24-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

front and girard - Google Maps
It's a great misconception. But here in San Francisco I can honestly tell you that the ghettos by far are more gritty than Houston's ghettos. And the homeless here are more overwhelming just the same.... that being said, San Francisco being an urban city, I'd assume Philly has same characteristics.

However, I am not praising Houston's ghettos. It certainly does have quite the ghetto neighborhoods and there certainly are dangerous areas you should avoid.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:40 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Ignorance. It is hard for people from dense urban cities to believe that many of the same amenities can exist in Sunbelt cities and it is hard for people from Sunbelt cities to believe that there is a certain vibrancy that cannot be duplicated when a city is car-centric.
True. It certainly does go both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City