Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Fact check: You would have a point if MARTA was only a single line serving a portion of the city. You would be wrong though. MARTA has four lines plus a network of buses...
I already know that. But it's the Red Line that is the huge difference between Houston and Atlanta.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
quit with your county crap - people have done these calculations before - HTown you have about the least credibility on here and are the biggest cherry picker

I said i wasnt sure on Baltimore and Detroit - though imagine there is more dense places for Detroit than you have listed

In DC you are just slapping counties together - the core radiates - Montgomery county is pretty large and gets far less dense the further away form the core you get

If you took the core of DC, Arlington, Fairfax, Moco, and PG it will surpass Houston in the 600 sq miles - Hell Philly gets there in half that size and DC would not be too far behind - For DC think beltway plus a little bit and that is the area i am talking about
you have zero creditability saying crap like what you say. All of Detroit is in Wayne County which has less of a population than the city of Houston how the heck are you gonna get a bigger population? you were just caught talking foolishness now you were proven wrong you can't argue so you attack me personally.

typical loser tactics. you lose so attack the poster.

lmao

You were WRONG Paul, admit it instead of attacking. you look so foolish doing that all the time.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I already know that. But it's the Red Line that is the huge difference between Houston and Atlanta.
Oops, I missed that afonega already addressed that.

The red line is just one thing that makes a huge difference between Atlanta.

The blue/green line, the gold line, and the gold/red line to the southside and the Airport make a difference too.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I guess because YOU never heard such "nonsense" that means it doesn't inform how others view the world?

As someone raised on the east coast, my concept of cities (and their boundaries) were NY, Philly, Baltimore and DC, where one approaches through a vast spread of suburbs ever-increasing in density until one finally hits the city limits.

Welcome to Manhattan | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/emsef/390317233/ - broken link)

My first experience with a different model of city was when I moved to Virgina for graduate school. I remember driving through the Tidewater area and seeing a "Welcome to Suffolk" sign in the middle of a peanut patch with no sign of "city" on the horizon. I thought "How strange?" This has given me a view of cities I didn't have before and it informs my impressions and opinions.

Impressions and opinions, btw, as just that - they are not indisputable facts. If you can understand that people have different experiences in life, you might learn something beyond what you already "know."

you did not make a point there. My Point is that I have never heard people try to move city limits before here. the limits are the limits. It does not matter what you impressions are the limits are a matter of fact because they are on record.

FYI, I have been to dozens of Cities in Europe, S. America and a few in Asia. Still love living in Houston.

Your preferences are yours, mine are mine.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 AM

153 posts, read 526,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
The desirability of San Francisco is overrated for some. It largely depends on culture and where you come from. Most people who aren't white or Asian could care less about SF.
Good point as people on these forums always point out these cities that are well adored by everyone when most Americans could never ink out a living in these places. I will say this one more time.

Places like Houston give ordinary people oppurtunities to live a decent life and attain things that would not be possible in SF,NY,DC,Philly,ect. I also dont understand the history argument because everyplace has some history. What makes some history better than others? I happen to think Texas and California history is interesting also as all of it makes up American history in equal importance. Extreme urban density has many drawbacks that no one talks about, especially if you are poor.

One thing I realized when I moved to Maryland was the fact that many people that work in the service industry make pretty much the same amount of money as we did in Houston, but the rent is like twice as high for a less desirable location. I believe the east coast is brutal for the poor and uneducated, and a great place if you are wealthy.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:05 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you have zero creditability saying crap like what you say. All of Detroit is in Wayne County which has less of a population than the city of Houston how the heck are you gonna get a bigger population? you were just caught talking foolishness now you were proven wrong you can't argue so you attack me personally.

typical loser tactics. you lose so attack the poster.

lmao

You were WRONG Kidphilly, admit it instead of attacking. you look so foolish doing that all the time.

Re-read what was written again HTown and I stand behind what I said

You do understand the concept of the core which may reside in more than one municipality and actually closer in to the core; not all counties are gigantic like those in TX

So then tell me which of the 7 I listed that would have a larger population in the same footprint do not? And dont use the county crap you tried to pawn off earlier. I am not sure on Detroit or Baltimore as I stated

I really think you should actually read and contextualize as many times you miss many of the pertinent points

Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
I also dont understand the history argument because everyplace has some history. What makes some history better than others? I happen to think Texas and California history is interesting also as all of it makes up American history in equal importance. Extreme urban density has many drawbacks that no one talks about, especially if you are poor.
European originated history is the only history to some. never mind that there ws 1000's of years of history all over the country, history is only what the british did.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you did not make a point there. My Point is that I have never heard people try to move city limits before here.
Maybe I didn't make a point with you. You didn't make one with me either. Not all people are trying to "move city limits before here"? I'm not.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oops, I missed that afonega already addressed that.

The red line is just one thing that makes a huge difference between Atlanta.

The blue/green line, the gold line, and the gold/red line to the southside and the Airport make a difference too.
What I mean is that Houston doesn't have heavy rail connecting the major districts of the city. The blue and green lines are important, but not nearly as game-changing as a line that goes all the way from the airport to North Springs while passing through key points in the city.

But my point still stands that MARTA heavy rail only serves a portion of a 5 million+ metro area. So again, for some--but not most--getting around is much different in Atlanta than Houston. After all is said and done, if there are any cities most like Atlanta, it's Houston and Dallas, hands down.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
Good point as people on these forums always point out these cities that are well adored by everyone when most Americans could never ink out a living in these places. I will say this one more time.

Places like Houston give ordinary people oppurtunities to live a decent life and attain things that would not be possible in SF,NY,DC,Philly,ect. I also dont understand the history argument because everyplace has some history. What makes some history better than others? I happen to think Texas and California history is interesting also as all of it makes up American history in equal importance. Extreme urban density has many drawbacks that no one talks about, especially if you are poor.

One thing I realized when I moved to Maryland was the fact that many people that work in the service industry make pretty much the same amount of money as we did in Houston, but the rent is like twice as high for a less desirable location. I believe the east coast is brutal for the poor and uneducated, and a great place if you are wealthy.
Actually TEXX though a generalization I would agree there is a good bit of truth to this. There is a higher divide between the haves and havenots so to speak in the NE; would also mostly say the same about many of the West Coast cities as well.

In terms of people moving to the sunbelt in US migaration, many are the middle class; very few higher incomes or lower income folks are making the migration (or at least proportionally). The reasons for the two groups not leaving are likely different; one group has more difficulty in means to make the move while the other likely believes the area they are in offers a better lifestyle when it can be afforded.

From this perspective i do agree that there is a significant allure to many of the Sunbelt cities as the dollar goes further and the relative lifestyle is likely better for this group. Now both your comments and mine are genralizations but i also believe there is more truth than not to them.

Overall to me for an area like Philly improvements (reductions) in the number of those at the poverty level and more middle class opportunities are two things the area can do better with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City